• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Redesignating

I am one of many currently waiting for OCS as an SNA who was called by their recruiter asking if they want to redesignate instead of wait an indefinite time to leave for OCS. I am of the belief that it is my goal and dream to fly for the Navy and I have earned my spot at OCS for that designator, so I will wait until it is my time to go.

However, if push comes to shove and some of us are told we are losing our selection (my recruiter said this is a possibility, albeit a very slim one), I would like to do some more in-depth research into other designators so I can be prepared to make a decision if that situation arises. I know this forum is aviation-centric, but are there others in the same boat as me, and does anyone know where I can find more in-depth information - possibly first hand advice (not just base level, google information, already tried that) - on other officer careers in the Navy?

FlyingGamecock

I am one of many currently waiting for OCS as an SNA who was called by their recruiter asking if they want to redesignate instead of wait an indefinite time to leave for OCS. I am of the belief that it is my goal and dream to fly for the Navy and I have earned my spot at OCS for that designator, so I will wait until it is my time to go.

However, if push comes to shove and some of us are told we are losing our selection (my recruiter said this is a possibility, albeit a very slim one), I would like to do some more in-depth research into other designators so I can be prepared to make a decision if that situation arises. I know this forum is aviation-centric, but are there others in the same boat as me, and does anyone know where I can find more in-depth information - possibly first hand advice (not just base level, google information, already tried that) - on other officer careers in the Navy?
There is some good stuff over on r/newtothenavy

Some designators (Intel, crypto, etc.) can be hard to find information on but if you dig in that subreddit you should be able to get some ideas about the job.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Like what others have said, use the search function on here, Google, and reddit to find more info into the non-Aviation communities. I would ping your recruiter to see what other officer communities are "open" and bounce that with qualifications.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I understand the SWO-hate from the shits-and-giggles aspect of the brown shoe navy - it’s an evolutionary matter - but we are talking about the United States Navy and in my mind junior officers in any military service should have but one goal…bring your weapons to bear in the enemy.

If it were me I would select the following in order (assuming aviation is out)…submarines, surface warfare, special operations, and then intelligence. Remember…this is me. You do you,

MGoBrew11

pilot
If my pilot slot had disappeared, I would have just said “no thanks”. Nothing I’ve seen 10 years in has convinced me otherwise. Don’t go SWO unless you love the sound of 3 section duty and lots of pain.

If you want to fly, you can do it in another service too. See above for USCG. If I had to do it all over again, I’d go Coastie.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't know anyone who failed out of SWO/intel/maintenance school being sent to flight school...

You have one opportunity to fly for the military. It's over to you if you want to give that up.

Conqueror’sHaki

SWOTIVATED MUSTANG
Don't go to OCS for the designator you don't even want. Stop overthinking it. You'll waste both your time, and everyone else. I can't even count how many NFO candidates DOR'd for this particular reason.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Let them take SNA away from you and walk away free and clear if you have to. However if your dream is to fly don’t willingly give that up.

Thanks all for the input.

Yes my dream is to fly, so I will not willingly let it slip away and will wait as long as I need to. My intent for my research is strictly to figure out *IF* SNA is pulled completely, then would I be willing to redesignate OR would I rather walk away. Think I've gotten some good advice.