• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters: Question about DOR

FirstGenNavy

I have a question for former and current Navy officer recruiters.

My dream has always been to serve in the Navy.

I was recently offered a commission as an intelligence officer, however, three weeks into Officer Candidate School, I dropped on request.

Without going into much detail, my familial and financial situation at home changed dramatically prior to my arrival in Newport. So, upon reflection, I didn't feel as though now were the right time in my life to pursue my aspiration of naval service.

I have read much on the topic of how drops on request affect applications to Officer Candidate School but not much on how they affect applications to other Navy programs. I will be attending law school soon, which is what I planned to do after my service obligation as an intelligence officer concluded, and was wondering if any former and current recruiters have experience working with Officer Development School applicants, particularly for the Navy Judge Advocate General program, who dropped on request.

Ultimately, given three or four years down the road, I want nothing more than to return to Navy service. Will the drop on request hinder that aspiration? Do the reasons for dropping on request matter?

Thanks a lot.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I would offer the opinion that if you can't make it through OCS without quitting, you are chasing the wrong line of work.

Your career will only get more difficult from OCS, and you will be told to spend 8 months away from home vice 13 weeks.

Pickle

exNavyOffRec

In general the more time since it happened the less if can affect you, the thing is that getting into JAG is VERY difficult, the ones I saw picked up had near perfect GPA's, so any ding against you could sink you, so I would say your best bet is to plan for your future without getting back into the USN.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I was recently offered a commission as an intelligence officer, however, three weeks into Officer Candidate School, I dropped on request.

Without going into much detail, my familial and financial situation at home changed dramatically prior to my arrival in Newport. So, upon reflection, I didn't feel as though now were the right time in my life to pursue my aspiration of naval service.

I have read much on the topic of how drops on request affect applications to Officer Candidate School but not much on how they affect applications to other Navy programs. I will be attending law school soon, which is what I planned to do after my service obligation as an intelligence officer concluded, and was wondering if any former and current recruiters have experience working with Officer Development School applicants, particularly for the Navy Judge Advocate General program, who dropped on request.

Ultimately, given three or four years down the road, I want nothing more than to return to Navy service. Will the drop on request hinder that aspiration? Do the reasons for dropping on request matter?

Thanks a lot.

You had an opportunity to pursue a commission and let it go. I understand the situations and what not, but let me tell you there are active duty Sailors, both deployed and ashore who deal with a plethora and situations and they don't have the option to simply DOR.

@NavyOffRec said it best about JAG. Your chances are slim to none and add the DOR and you have a one in a million shot.

Lastly, you said your situation happened a few weeks prior to leaving OCS. Why didn't you tell your OR? He or she could have potentially moved your ship date further back to give you more time. When you swore in you signed a form that said tell your recruiter if anything ever changes.

Hate to say it, but the fault goes back on you.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Thanks a lot.

I have a buddy who was a bar certified attorney who went to OCS to be a SWO and DOR'd a few weeks into it citing family issues...

After about a year of working in a pizza place and completely hating his life he applied for ODS and picked up for it.

He left Newport on a positive note, not only were his instructors surprised he had is J.D. and he was at OCS to be a SWO, the outgoing CO (OTC Newport?) of OCS wrote him a letter or recommendation for his JAG application.

He's very happy where he's at in life now as a Navy JAG and much to my, and most others surprise, his OCS DOR did not end up haunting him like most expected it to. From what he described during his ODS interview with the JAGs his previous OCS experience showed them that he knew what he was getting into (again) and he was still motivated to do it and they did not hold his OCS DOR for family circumstances against him.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Don't take this the wrong way, but you did the right thing. You were taking up a slot that someone else wants more than you. Now you aren't. Kudos for pulling the trigger on the tough decision. Maybe a lesson learned: next time escalate the decision sooner. But it's okay. Your life will go on. Maybe it will be better. The mil isn't for everyone. Don't expect to rejoin later. But, as zippy noted, exceptions happen.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I hate this idea. It was his spot, not the next guy in line's. If he decides to DOR, he didn't steal anything from anyone.
I concur. I didn't say the word "steal." I said "takng up" as in occupying/ as in being the incumbent in a billet.

What I mean: It's better that he followed his heart, DOR'd, and pursued his law school dream, rather than stick it out, commission as an 1830, attend NIOBC, join the fleet, and regret it the entire time.

Last edited: