• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recommendations for Medical Letter Problem

Hey everyone, first post here on AW and I’m here to see what you guys recommend should be my next step about a current issue I’m having. I was trying to apply for SNA but my medical came back saying I could only apply for Restricted Line and Staff Corps job without giving me a reason why.

Little background about myself, I’m currently an HM3 (Corpsman) in the reserves. Graduated back in May with a degree in Aeronautics, 3.35 GPA and I’m also a student pilot with 65+ hours. I scored 58 8/8/7 on the ASTB and I was going to apply for the August pilot board. Everything was going great until I got the letter from N33, or N3M, saying I couldn’t apply for unrestricted and the letter didn’t give a reason why.

I attached the letter to this post but it said:
  1. Based upon a review of available medical information the subject applicant DOES meet established physical standards.
  2. Applicant is physically qualified for Restricted Line and Staff Corps. A waiver of the physical standards is not required.
According to my recruiter he kept emailing them over and over and never got an answer from them, he even told me they restricted communications to his office due to his complaints.

I have no medical condition whatsoever, only been prescribed Amoxicillin in the past 5 years, had a small fracture on a finger as my only visit to the ER, no family history, nothing. I have a first class medical from the FAA and I’m fully medically ready in the Navy.

So, is this normal? I haven’t seen any other letter from N33, all I know is what my recruiter says and he thinks there’s something wrong. Again, I haven’t seen any other letter but it just doesn’t make sense to me either the way they say that I do meet the established standards, that I’m physically qualified, and that I don’t need any waivers to then say I can only apply for restricted without giving a reason why I couldn’t apply for unrestricted.

So what do you guys recommend I should do next?

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• BB935EA3-50B1-4140-B306-5D10296770A5.jpeg
    BB935EA3-50B1-4140-B306-5D10296770A5.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 65A3329B-F0A1-4A88-900C-11D2B1C53626.jpeg
    65A3329B-F0A1-4A88-900C-11D2B1C53626.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 375EB902-8F9F-4041-818E-36B5D80AB2AA.jpeg
    375EB902-8F9F-4041-818E-36B5D80AB2AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey everyone, first post here on AW and I’m here to see what you guys recommend should be my next step about a current issue I’m having. I was trying to apply for SNA but my medical came back saying I could only apply for Restricted Line and Staff Corps job without giving me a reason why.

Little background about myself, I’m currently an HM3 (Corpsman) in the reserves. Graduated back in May with a degree in Aeronautics, 3.35 GPA and I’m also a student pilot with 65+ hours. I scored 58 8/8/7 on the ASTB and I was going to apply for the August pilot board. Everything was going great until I got the letter from N33, or N3M, saying I couldn’t apply for unrestricted and the letter didn’t give a reason why.

I attached the letter to this post but it said:
  1. Based upon a review of available medical information the subject applicant DOES meet established physical standards.
  2. Applicant is physically qualified for Restricted Line and Staff Corps. A waiver of the physical standards is not required.
According to my recruiter he kept emailing them over and over and never got an answer from them, he even told me they restricted communications to his office due to his complaints.

I have no medical condition whatsoever, only been prescribed Amoxicillin in the past 5 years, had a small fracture on a finger as my only visit to the ER, no family history, nothing. I have a first class medical from the FAA and I’m fully medically ready in the Navy.

So, is this normal? I haven’t seen any other letter from N33, all I know is what my recruiter says and he thinks there’s something wrong. Again, I haven’t seen any other letter but it just doesn’t make sense to me either the way they say that I do meet the established standards, that I’m physically qualified, and that I don’t need any waivers to then say I can only apply for restricted without giving a reason why I couldn’t apply for unrestricted.

So what do you guys recommend I should do next?

Thank you all in advance!

Stop what you’re doing. Because you’re SELRES you need to be working with your CCC instead of an OR. Follow the Fleet OCS checklist.

Have your CCC resubmit your physical to N3M/N33. Make sure SNA/1390 is one of the designators on the N3M checklist. That should be a good start for now.

Stop what you’re doing. Because you’re SELRES you need to be working with your CCC instead of an OR. Follow the Fleet OCS checklist.

Have your CCC resubmit your physical to N3M/N33. Make sure SNA/1390 is one of the designators on the N3M checklist. That should be a good start for now.

That is my next step, I’m waiting to switch commands. My recruiter did tell me all applications from SELRES must be submitted through their commands from now on but my wife is active duty and we will be PCS’ing to Groton, CT (from Jax, FL) in less than three weeks. I’ll be changing units so I’m waiting until I’m settled in my new unit to start the application again. I just wanted to put it out there to know if this has happened to anybody or is something common or a possible mistake. Thanks for the speedy reply!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Based on the letter from CNRC, they might not even have evaluated the physical to see if he was physically qualified for SNA/URL. I dont know what their workflow is, but if someone isnt eligible for URL, why go through the trouble of determining if he meets the standard for a non-option.

My point is that just because he's been found PQ for RL/staff, doesn't necessarily mean that he will be found PQ for URL. Being found PQ for SNA is another hoop that NAMI gets to hold.

V/R

Based on the letter from CNRC, they might not even have evaluated the physical to see if he was physically qualified for SNA/URL. I dont know what their workflow is, but if someone isnt eligible for URL, why go through the trouble of determining if he meets the standard for a non-option.

My point is that just because he's been found PQ for RL/staff, doesn't necessarily mean that he will be found PQ for URL. Being found PQ for SNA is another hoop that NAMI gets to hold.

V/R

Is there anyone you suggest I should talk to? To know whether they evaluated me as RL or URL or if there is a medical reason I don’t know about. My recruiter doesn’t know, being in the military already I’m not going to email a CAPT asking for answers and my chain of command has no clue what I should do or anything about officer packages (the reason I’m waiting to change commands).

I understand the standards for URL are a whole lot tougher than RL but it just sucks not knowing why. I’m not looking to fight it or anything, just someone that can tell me “here’s the reason why” so I can try another branch or follow the civilian route.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is there anyone you suggest I should talk to? To know whether they evaluated me as RL or URL or if there is a medical reason I don’t know about. My recruiter doesn’t know, being in the military already I’m not going to email a CAPT asking for answers and my chain of command has no clue what I should do or anything about officer packages (the reason I’m waiting to change commands).

I understand the standards for URL are a whole lot tougher than RL but it just sucks not knowing why. I’m not looking to fight it or anything, just someone that can tell me “here’s the reason why” so I can try another branch or follow the civilian route.

You’re not allowed to contact them directly. As said before, have your CCC (note that I didn’t say OR) resubmit your physical to include having Pilot/1390 on the N3M coversheet.

You should get a letter back saying you’re qualified / not qualified and an explanation why if it’s the latter.

exNavyOffRec

@RUFiO181 is spot on, I would venture to say that 1390 was not specified for review by N3M, I say this because I had this exact situation happen with one of my candidates.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Commissioning standards are the same regardless of designator. Waivers of standards may be easier to come by for certain specialties.

For now, recommend pursuing the COA outlined by RUFiO181 and NavOffRec. Finding a resource who knows the process will be what it takes.

V/R

Unreleted to the original post but.... How long does it take on average to get the medical letter back from MEPS? I went Nov 14 and still haven’t gotten it, worried I’ll miss the Dec 24 deadline for the February (now Janurary) aviation board. Any feedback is appreciated

exNavyOffRec

Unreleted to the original post but.... How long does it take on average to get the medical letter back from MEPS? I went Nov 14 and still haven’t gotten it, worried I’ll miss the Dec 24 deadline for the February (now Janurary) aviation board. Any feedback is appreciated

If MEPS hasn't given your recruiter the documents to send to N3M then odds are you aren't making that deadline.

flgator92

None

I was considering going Marines and those candidates in our pool who went to MEPS with no problems or waivers typically got a PQ letter back in about a week or two. It is case dependent though. One guy had high blood pressure at MEPS and had to get some more blood pressure readings — after submitting those I think he said it took about two weeks for a PQ letter. YMMV with MEPS but unless you have some major health problems that need waivers, my experience is that it doesn’t tend to take that long.

I was considering going Marines and those candidates in our pool who went to MEPS with no problems or waivers typically got a PQ letter back in about a week or two. It is case dependent though. One guy had high blood pressure at MEPS and had to get some more blood pressure readings — after submitting those I think he said it took about two weeks for a PQ letter. YMMV with MEPS but unless you have some major health problems that need waivers, my experience is that it doesn’t tend to take that long.
N3M got my letter at the end of November, no waivers, so I figure any day now. Thanks for the insight

exNavyOffRec

N3M got my letter at the end of November, no waivers, so I figure any day now. Thanks for the insight

I am not sure if you are confused or typed something you didn't meant to, but N3M cannot issue a letter without having the physical from MEPS, so if you have rec'd a letter from N3M then there is nothing you need from MEPS.

If you already rec'd a letter from N3M then your application should be at board.

So what are you waiting on?