• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reapplying to OCS

Jreed

OCS dropout. But not done yet…
Hey guys and gals. Have a situation and some questions so I’ll just throw it out there, last year I was accepted into OCS and got a pilots spot, went to OCS in November of 2021. Ended up DORing, had some problems being away from family and my girlfriend and my pet and it was a bit too much, (just not mentally ready for separation I guess) and more so the idea that my commitment was so long that I was thinking about how I would feel 5 years down the road, so I made the decision to leave. Now that I’ve been home and working and my class (06-22 Delta company hell yeah stay weird) just graduated and I want nothing more than to be back there. I feel my relationships are much better now and I could totally crush OCS and all the trainings after. OCS wasn’t crazy hard or anything that burned me out but I guess I just wasn’t in the right head space. But now I feel I could not only handle OCS and everything there after but really thrive and be one hell of a candidate and commissioned officer.

Anyways, I’m coming here to ask two things. First, do you think I should try to reapply, my test scores were great and got me in the first boards I was on and I am certainly still an incredibly strong candidate, which leads me to my second question, being what do you think the chances of me getting accepted again would be. My DD214 says I was administratively separated and I certainly don’t have any bad blood with the Navy or any other branch.

Let me also say this, I’m living in Philadelphia, working with Merck pharmaceuticals (I have a degree in biochemistry) and I have been accepted into a PhD program, as well as a few masters programs that start in fall. I’m doing well in my life but I just have a lot of regret leaving now and would like some of your guys and gals opinions. Especially those of you who have are commissioned officers and those who have been thru OCS. Thanks!

I did speak to a recruiter and they said they would definitely help me put my package together and my MEPS would still be valid as well as a bunch of other things in my package.

What are people’s thoughts on this situation? Is it worth it? Are the chances okay?

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Hey guys and gals. Have a situation and some questions so I’ll just throw it out there, last year I was accepted into OCS and got a pilots spot, went to OCS in November of 2021. Ended up DORing, had some problems being away from family and my girlfriend and my pet and it was a bit too much, (just not mentally ready for separation I guess) and more so the idea that my commitment was so long that I was thinking about how I would feel 5 years down the road, so I made the decision to leave. Now that I’ve been home and working and my class (06-22 Delta company hell yeah stay weird) just graduated and I want nothing more than to be back there. I feel my relationships are much better now and I could totally crush OCS and all the trainings after. OCS wasn’t crazy hard or anything that burned me out but I guess I just wasn’t in the right head space. But now I feel I could not only handle OCS and everything there after but really thrive and be one hell of a candidate and commissioned officer.

Anyways, I’m coming here to ask two things. First, do you think I should try to reapply, my test scores were great and got me in the first boards I was on and I am certainly still an incredibly strong candidate, which leads me to my second question, being what do you think the chances of me getting accepted again would be. My DD214 says I was administratively separated and I certainly don’t have any bad blood with the Navy or any other branch.

Let me also say this, I’m living in Philadelphia, working with Merck pharmaceuticals (I have a degree in biochemistry) and I have been accepted into a PhD program, as well as a few masters programs that start in fall. I’m doing well in my life but I just have a lot of regret leaving now and would like some of your guys and gals opinions. Especially those of you who have are commissioned officers and those who have been thru OCS. Thanks!

I did speak to a recruiter and they said they would definitely help me put my package together and my MEPS would still be valid as well as a bunch of other things in my package.

What are people’s thoughts on this situation? Is it worth it? Are the chances okay?
Friend, OCS was 12 weeks. Your carrier deployment could be 10 months in addition to the workups. During those deployments pets die, and those girlfriends who became wives deliver children. For me it only gets harder to leave as I move along, and I know others who feel that way too.

Bummer post, but you need to be accepting and prepared for the bad that comes with the good.

Jreed

Friend, OCS was 12 weeks. Your carrier deployment could be 10 months in addition to the workups. During those deployments pets die, and those girlfriends who became wives deliver children. For me it only gets harder to leave as I move along, and I know others who feel that way too.

Bummer post, but you need to be accepting and prepared for the bad that comes with the good.
I understand completely, and those 10+ month deployments is what really bothered me at OCS. Not the 12 week school that was OCS, and I enjoyed everything that we were doing. I have mentally fortified myself over the past couple months and will continue to do so in hopes that I can return and continue down this life long dream including all the good and bad that comes with it. I want this now more than anything else on this earth

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Well, no one can tell you your chances, just re-apply and hope for the best.

Jreed

Calling @FormerRecruitingGuru (He may have some insight)

You can re-apply, but I think your chances may be extremely low. So, you might be done with the Navy Officer route via OCS.

NSCINT 1530.1C
View attachment 34589
Agreed, I have a pretty strong package, but I know that seeing DOR is a huge blemish, I’m hoping to explain what went wrong, and what I’m doing to improve that and why it won’t happen again in my personal statement

exNavyOffRec

Given how few spots there are now it would be a longshot, if it were several years ago it would probably be something that would happen. If you were accepted you are probably looking at going to board in August or November with OCS in late 2022 to early 2023

One option is to get that PhD and apply to one of the positions in the Medical Service Corps and probably come in as an O-3

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed, I have a pretty strong package, but I know that seeing DOR is a huge blemish, I’m hoping to explain what went wrong, and what I’m doing to improve that and why it won’t happen again in my personal statement
Only you know what you wrote in your DOR letter. Your new application has to answer how you’ve corrected/overcome the previous circumstances. Again, apply, but don’t get your hopes up. Have you spoken to an Officer recruiter yet? Good luck.

1646188608309.png

Jreed

Given how few spots there are now it would be a longshot, if it were several years ago it would probably be something that would happen. If you were accepted you are probably looking at going to board in August or November with OCS in late 2022 to early 2023

One option is to get that PhD and apply to one of the positions in the Medical Service Corps and probably come in as an O-3
Someone else recommended something similar, my passion for flying outweighs my desire for any other designator 10 to 1, so I don’t think that would be the right path for me. The recruiter I spoke with said that he could get me on the boards in May, or the next ones after that in August. Any thoughts on if waiting a bit longer would help my case? My thought process is that if the board sees my package ASAP how do they know anything has changed for me

Jreed

Only you know what you wrote in your DOR letter. Your new application has to answer how you’ve corrected/overcome the previous circumstances. Again, apply, but don’t get your hopes up. Have you spoken to an Officer recruiter yet? Good luck.

View attachment 34592
I have gotten in touch with a recruiter and he said he’s happy to put together a package for me, and said it wouldn’t be too hard since all my meps info is still valid in the system as well as a lot of my information. LoR and personal statement are the only things that are gonna be tough to get done and they need to be perfect

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Calling @FormerRecruitingGuru (He may have some insight)

You can re-apply, but I think your chances may be extremely low. So, you might be done with the Navy Officer route via OCS.

NSCINT 1530.1C
View attachment 34589

Putting it into perspective, you essentially stole an OCS spot that could have been given to someone who wanted to be an officer and ultimately could have completed OCS and commission. That's essentially what you just did. On top of stealing an OCS spot, you also are painting the picture that you failed to properly plan for OCS...

As what others have said here, it only gets tougher from here. OCS is only 13 weeks... if you can't handle life challenges during that short period of time, what makes you think you can handle others like flight school, deployments, etc. You just can't DOR in the middle of a deployment or workup cycle because your pet goldfish died.

There have been folks who dropped from OCS, reapplied and then were able to complete OCS the second go around. Those have primarily been due to outside circumstances due to medical, injuries, and even some crazy life moments (like a close family member passing away). There have also been folks who tried to come back to OCS, but failed to do so.

Many life/career opportunities only offer one chance with no do-overs. This may quite arguably been that one opportunity.

Jreed

Putting it into perspective, you essentially stole an OCS spot that could have been given to someone who wanted to be an officer and ultimately could have completed OCS and commission. That's essentially what you just did. On top of stealing an OCS spot, you also are painting the picture that you failed to properly plan for OCS...

As what others have said here, it only gets tougher from here. OCS is only 13 weeks... if you can't handle life challenges during that short period of time, what makes you think you can handle others like flight school, deployments, etc. You just can't DOR in the middle of a deployment or workup cycle because your pet goldfish died.

There have been folks who dropped from OCS, reapplied and then were able to complete OCS the second go around. Those have primarily been due to outside circumstances due to medical, injuries, and even some crazy life moments (like a close family member passing away). There have also been folks who tried to come back to OCS, but failed to do so.

Many life/career opportunities only offer one chance with no do-overs. This may quite arguably been that one opportunity.
I absolutely understand what you are saying, I’m definitely not holding my breath and am trying to be realistic. But I just have a good feeling about it and think I could add a couple extra letters of recommendation that could make a good difference. Regardless I greatly appreciate your input.
One quick question for you though, do you think I should reapply to the first boards I would be eligible for (May) or should I hold off a bit longer until August?

exNavyOffRec

I absolutely understand what you are saying, I’m definitely not holding my breath and am trying to be realistic. But I just have a good feeling about it and think I could add a couple extra letters of recommendation that could make a good difference. Regardless I greatly appreciate your input.
One quick question for you though, do you think I should reapply to the first boards I would be eligible for (May) or should I hold off a bit longer until August?
May is already closed due to the number of applicants, so the August board is being filled now.