• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reapplication strategy?

Creeping_Geep

I wanted to request some general advice for how to change my application after an initial PROREC NO. Should I just identify the weakest aspect of my application and try to improve that? Do I address what I've changed in my current application directly in my personal statement, or just let it ride? Am I required to get new LORs & appraisal interviews? I know it's difficult to offer advice without seeing my application, so anything you can recommend is greatly appreciated. I've heard that after being passed over by the board an applicant's odds of ever being selected sharply decrease. I'm really adrift here.

edit: Separately, does anyone know how often officer program authorizations are updated? I looked through all the active duty ones and the PA for the designator I am applying for is among the oldest.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

They are updated at random times, the ones that tend to be updated most often are Aviation and SWO due to change in age and ASTB scores, normally you see the PA's go 4-5 years or longer between updates.

RhodesReese

If I had to go back and change something in my package it would be to get all appraisals from the designator I was looking to go into and try to get them from people who are well known in that community. I would also start asking the officers around me if they know any flag aides or CoS working for the designator I’m interested in to see if I could get a LOR. I got an appraisal, by chance, from a plank holder of the IP community as well as an O6 who has made impact in the 1820 world. Additionally through my own OIC I was able to get a LOR from the N2N6 admiral at the time.

Also consider putting in for 1820, if that’s not what you are already looking at, if a commission is your goal. On this last board there was a 20 year MCPO who got picked up whom they believed was best and fully qualified.

exNavyOffRec

When I wrote what I did I hadn't seen the slide with the new TIS restrictions, that may become an issue if they go by that at the next round of boards.

Creeping_Geep

If I had to go back and change something in my package it would be to get all appraisals from the designator I was looking to go into and try to get them from people who are well known in that community. I would also start asking the officers around me if they know any flag aides or CoS working for the designator I’m interested in to see if I could get a LOR. I got an appraisal, by chance, from a plank holder of the IP community as well as an O6 who has made impact in the 1820 world. Additionally through my own OIC I was able to get a LOR from the N2N6 admiral at the time.

Also consider putting in for 1820, if that’s not what you are already looking at, if a commission is your goal. On this last board there was a 20 year MCPO who got picked up whom they believed was best and fully qualified.
Is a LOR from someone who doesn't know me really that valuable? Wouldn't I be essentially asking the board members (who only know me from my paper) to substitute their own judgment for someone else's who also only knows me from paper? I mean maybe that's how it is, but that's strikes me as quite strange.

exNavyOffRec

Is a LOR from someone who doesn't know me really that valuable? Wouldn't I be essentially asking the board members (who only know me from my paper) to substitute their own judgment for someone else's who also only knows me from paper? I mean maybe that's how it is, but that's strikes me as quite strange.
I have seen too many applicants who sought out people that didn't actually know them still get turned down and far more with LOR's from those who saw the applicant perform for at least 6 months and could talk specifically about their abilities get picked up.

There have been a few senior members who sat boards told me essentially the same thing, nearly everyone can blow smoke to impress someone for 30 minutes or an hour.

RhodesReese

Maybe maybe not. But from my experience, and from those I know who have gotten LOR's, it doesn't necessarily hurt their chances. I could be wrong, but I doubt a board member would look at an LOR and count it as a negative. And the person you are asking for an LOR from may not give you one. I had to do several interviews with their CoS and had an O6 with whom I knew speak on my behalf to even get a sit down with RADM who did mine.

Just my opinion.

exNavyOffRec

Maybe maybe not. But from my experience, and from those I know who have gotten LOR's, it doesn't necessarily hurt their chances. I could be wrong, but I doubt a board member would look at an LOR and count it as a negative. And the person you are asking for an LOR from may not give you one. I had to do several interviews with their CoS and had an O6 with whom I knew speak on my behalf to even get a sit down with RADM who did mine.

Just my opinion.
You are correct, in general they won't hurt, but they also may not help.

I have seen it a few times where a senior officer was interviewing a person asking things like "How is a division organized", "Who does what in a division" and other questions only someone who has been in the USN would actually know.

The above is a rarity, but you never know what will happen.

exNavyOffRec

I had to do several interviews with their CoS and had an O6 with whom I knew speak on my behalf to even get a sit down with RADM who did mine.

Just my opinion.
Not a single person I submitted or saw submitted who had officer interviews (excluding those where it was required) up to and including VADM LOR/Interviews were selected, and the LOR/Interviews were outstanding, but that didn't make up for short comings in other areas such as GPA or waivers. In the end it is best qualified for who was picked.

In one specific case the LOR/interview was with a 2 star, the applicants Uncle was a 1 star and the applicant was trying to get into the same designator as the Uncle, but the applicant had lower GPA and just wasn't competitive.

exNavyOffRec

At the end of the day it’s your package and what exnavyoffrec said makes sense but sharing another point of view from another mustang.

What they look for in regards to LDO/CWO and for OCS are different, OCS is more about academic background and future potential, while LDO/CWO is more about tech experience and leadership.

Creeping_Geep

Are new appraisal interviews required for a reconsideration package? The 1420.1 says they only require the applicant's statement requesting reconsideration, additional information for the board to consider, and the CO's endorsement on the reconsideration package.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Are new appraisal interviews required for a reconsideration package? The 1420.1 says they only require the applicant's statement requesting reconsideration, additional information for the board to consider, and the CO's endorsement on the reconsideration package.
Contact NRC regarding the date they were signed, you may be able to re-use, if they are too old NRC will have you get new ones.