• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real Estate Agents

OpenFire06

Does anyone have any recommendations for real estate agents in the Pensacola area? I'll be heading down there in the middle of May to check out houses and/or apartments. I'd appreciate any input that you all may have. Thanks

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call USAA and ask them about their Mover's Advantage Program. They usually hook you up with a good agent (I've like everyone that I've worked with). And if you end up buying, you'll get a percentage back (usually around $600-$800).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Money back notwithstanding, USAA apparently hooks people up w/ Coldwell Banker here in PNS. I've heard some positives and some neutrals. One issue I can see is that a lot of the properties are already CB, so the agent doesn't have as much incentive to work on your behalf, money-wise. Of course there are plenty of other property listings, so I'm not saying their the only game in town.

Personally, I went through Move-4-less because the agent started working w/ me over the 'net several weeks before I was even INCONUS. I'd recommend you swing by www.pensacolamls.com first and see what you see, then start making contacts from there.

KimberlyD

PM Ryann24, I can't remember who she intro'ed us to but he was awesome, we decided not to buy though (& we're glad since we got here 24 January & are moving 26 May). I spoke to Coldwell Banker JME's guy that we got through USAA & he SUCKED. Coldwell is the seller for 90% of the properties here, your deal will suck if it's w/ them on both ends!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I sold my house in Milton with Navy Fed's moving program. They also use Coldwell, and I wasn't impressed with them at all. I wasn't a huge fan of the realtor USAA referred me to to buy my last house, either. I think that the strongest performers in the offices don't participate in the referral services, becasue they already have business and don't want to give up a cut. Rely on personal referrals from friends.

Tarzan34

It's definitely a buyers market in Pensacola. I know a few agents that are familiar with military needs. NOT Coldwell types. let me know if you want their names.

OpenFire06

Typicalls a buyers market implies that there are an incredible amount of houses on the market, and the prices of those houses have potentially been decreasing (which is true as I have noted several houses that have been on the market for several months that have been reduced in price from the original). With that being said, why would I want to buy into a market like that? I understand that I have a great deal of houses to choose from, and I might get an ok deal, but I'd really like to make some sort of a profit based on the appreciation of the house (external from renters and such). I guess after having looked at this market since Octoberish and seeing that nothing is selling and the prices area still dropping, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Anyone see anything wrong with my logic? I'm just a lowely Ensign(sel) and any input would be appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OpenFire06 said:
Typicalls a buyers market implies that there are an incredible amount of houses on the market, and the prices of those houses have potentially been decreasing (which is true as I have noted several houses that have been on the market for several months that have been reduced in price from the original). With that being said, why would I want to buy into a market like that? I understand that I have a great deal of houses to choose from, and I might get an ok deal, but I'd really like to make some sort of a profit based on the appreciation of the house (external from renters and such). I guess after having looked at this market since Octoberish and seeing that nothing is selling and the prices area still dropping, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Anyone see anything wrong with my logic? I'm just a lowely Ensign(sel) and any input would be appreciated.
Obviously you would want to buy just as the trend turns around, but that is going to be awfully difficult to game, especially since people's time in Pensacola is usually so brief.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OpenFire06 said:

You're coming at either too early or too late in the game, depending on how you want to look at it. Wait until another hurricane rolls through. Prices will soar back up. Last April/June (well, really since Ivan) there were only a handful of houses available at any give time. I'm talking like less than 10 per area. Once everyone got things settled and the Katrina people got housing, prices and the market went back to what you're seeing now.

MHD

Roxy McCoy works in the Milton/Pace area, which is perfect for NAS Whiting Field. She has helped me a great deal, and her husband is a retired navy Commander. Try her at 850-572-7486 or 850-626-5656.

KimberlyD said:
Remembered who it was, www.themostollergroup.com, Bernie Mostoller.
Can't say enough good things about Bernie!! You want to talk about OUTSTANDING customer service!!!!!!!!!! He even stops by when he is out checking on his rental properties. We will be using him as our property manager when we leave also. Very swell guy:)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
ryann24 said:
Can't say enough good things about Bernie!! You want to talk about OUTSTANDING customer service!!!!!!!!!! He even stops by when he is out checking on his rental properties. We will be using him as our property manager when we leave also. Very swell guy:)

See, I should have used AW before I started trying to sell my home in Milton. Both my buying and selling experiences there were miserable.

On the buying side, I bought from Henry Company Homes. I don't recommend them. PM me if you're looking at one of theirs and I can discuss my experiences.

I also should have used a property manager while acting as an absentee landlord. Even if you are aquaintances with the people you're renting from, it helps to have a go-between. Business is business. Being relatively far away, it would have been good to have someone taking care of my business and warning me my house was getting thrashed.

I could have used a better referral than Navy Fed's for selling that same house. The good thing I can say about the program is that if you need to fire your agent, Navy Fed takes care of it for you without red tape.