• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reaffiliating with a Reserve Outfit after going from Enlisted to Officer

3912DCO

See also this thread:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150606

DCOIC comes a lot later in the process...you'll be doing medical screenings (for most folks), initiating a security clearance investigation for TS/SCI, getting "final select" status, receiving your commission documents, getting commissioned, getting uniforms, and starting to drill before DCOIC!

Good luck and congratulations to all!

Indeed. Fortunately for some (current enlisted, already drilling), the list is a little shorter. My recruiter was happy that I had a full physical before I deployed last year and having a current TS/SCI just means I dealt with some of the difficult stuff already.

I'm curious if anyone can share any insight into the re-affiliation process. It is my understanding that I will not be able to remain with my current reserve unit. I know what kind of unit I would like to be with (one that is closely related to my current NEC), but not sure how to find out what opportunities are available.

anichka

Good question, 3912. As a current reservist, I have no idea.

My unit is here in Germany, and if you are willing to make the commute, I bet you'd be a good match for it (SOCEUR 0530). I'm not kidding - we do have several people who attend from Stateside. You only have to be here for 4 drills/year.

When I was at my old unit in the UK (just left there in May), I was told - by the unit - that if I got commissioned, I would have to start going back up there.

I am wondering if we can get slots for the DCO classes next year already. At least in my unit, the chain is already asking what AT plans are for next year. I'd like to say I will go to a late DCOIC, maybe August, but I am guessing we cannot get a quota number till commissioned.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Have to leave my reserve unit if picked up for DCO?

It is my understanding that I will not be able to remain with my current reserve unit.
Correct. If you are currently a member of a unit as an Enlisted, and are subsequently commissioned, you will be assigned to a different unit for your first "tour."

I know what kind of unit I would like to be with (one that is closely related to my current NEC), but not sure how to find out what opportunities are available.
Contact the OIC for your NIRR and explain to him what you are trying to accomplish. PM me your .mil email address and I will send you the contact information. If there is not another NSW unit in your NIRR, you may have to be re-assigned to a different NIRR to accomplish your goal.

k2fourever

Contact the OIC for your NIRR and explain to him what you are trying to accomplish. PM me your .mil email address and I will send you the contact information. If there is not another NSW unit in your NIRR, you may have to be re-assigned to a different NIRR to accomplish your goal.

Do you generally get to choose what unit within your given NIRR you want to be gained by? Or is that primarily for current enlisted reservists who are becoming 1635s? Or it one of these "I-know/bugged-the-right-guy" things?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor

k2fourever

Thanks Bubblehead.

Anything is possible. The key is to take action and to ask the question. Showing interest and taking action will serve you well in the future.

Couldn't agree more - and that holds in life generally, not just the Navy. Heck, I'm not even before a board until JAN. I'm just like knowing...everything I can. :p