• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ready to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas B

Dave
Wow!! I didn't think that there would be that many priors going through. That makes it seem a little better. One question how does OCS and Bootcamp differ or compare? I was just curious as far as a prior what is the hardest and is it a more relaxed environment?

Thomas

Congrats on your accomplishment!!

Fly Navy!!!

Dave Shutter

I can't vouch for how it compares to navy Bootcamp but all the Navy priors said it was a lot tougher. I thought it was a lot tougher than Army boot in some ways even though we never PT'd on asphalt, wore packs, boots or weapons or marched distances longer than a few blocks to or from class vs. ten and twenty mile ruck' marches through the lovely rolling FT. Knox hills. There's no KP and "watch" consists of standing on the 1/4 deck checking ID's and not out in the freezing cold in a motor pool with a PRC-77 on your back. You'll do lots of leg lifts and flutter kicks, none of which with mud-caked boots on your feet

However, and this is where the Navy guys agreed, the inspections are no joke and week 4 was the big eye opener for me. I was suffering along with everyone else the first three weeks, especially with PT, but I always felt okay becasue it was all stuff I'd done before. Week 4 RLP comes along and after a nice twenty minute mash session and 30-something hits, I have my first graded evo' failure. When they say attention to detail: they're not kidding and even though I equated the first few weeks a lot to Army boot but it wasn't until week 4 when I finally realized I wasn't in Kentucky anymore. I locked it up after that and didn't have any more problems. The PT itself isn't bad, about ten to fifteen minutes in the morning but it's the runs that get a lot of people; if your really out of shape, you will get injured and then it's the 19-23 week program for you. It happens every day. The PT standards to graduate are a lot higher then boot too. The one big difference between Boot and OCS was the academics, classroom time will be most of your life here intersperced with drill and RLP prep. The stuff's not brain surgery but for some people studying can be hard with so much else going on. Time management is the other buzz word used a lot here and it you have none then you're in trouble. Just make sure you put out every day and you'll be fine.

Thomas B

Thanks for the info. In Navy Boot they preached attention to detail so I figured they would do the same at OCS. I think after the info you gave me, it does sound harder than bootcamp!

I have been running and everything every other day and this week I'm going to try and up my workout scheduele to every day. So far this week I've ran everyday and I plan on doing that until the day I leave for OCS, which is March 23!

I am worried about my conditioning because everynight I go to bed sore and aching. I just pray that by the time I get to OCS it wont be as bad. I don't want to get rolled on anything!

One more question: How long of a break do you have between OCS and API?

Thomas

Fly Navy!!

Paul Burke

I found a realy good book when it comes to getting in shape. It has a workout schedule that can be done in 3 months that starts from the ground up. It's called "Navy SEAL Physical Fitness". It's an authentic facsimile of the real deal, written by the same people that wrote the SEAL's fitness program. It has been extremely useful. You can get it from www.getfitnow.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.