• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-taking Depth Perception Test

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
First off, I know this topic has come up quite frequently here and I've already done my research. I guess I'm just feeling a little paranoid about this--I want to see if there's anything else I could benefit from knowing.

I just barely failed the AFVT at MEPS--I passed all of group C and missed one line in group D. I then took a civilian test and passed perfectly (got 40 seconds of arc IIRC, which was as far as their test went). Now I get to go back to MEPS and retake (I assume) the AFVT. Hopefully it goes well. I'll try to hydrate and rest the night before. I might also try those Magic Eye booklets everyone here seems to recommend--they couldn't hurt.

Anyway, I guess I'm lucky in that I know whether or not I can go SNA before OCS rather than during OCS itself (notwithstanding anything else that could come up during the OCS physical).

If anyone has any other tips I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll keep you updated on how it goes. :)

Caesium

Be advised you will still need to pass the military depth perception test at OCS.
I'm aware; I was under the impression that it's the same test (AFVT) and then possibly RANDOT or another test if you fail the AFVT. Is that correct?

To clarify, I did pass the AFVT DP test.

Caesium

How did you pratice by using the magic eye books?
I mean you don't need them, it's just useful for the technique. I found that it helps to try to look "through" the circles and imagine that you're focusing on the wall behind and not on the actual circles. Oh and take your time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm aware; I was under the impression that it's the same test (AFVT) and then possibly RANDOT or another test if you fail the AFVT. Is that correct?

To clarify, I did pass the AFVT DP test.

But why did you fail the MEPS depth perception test?

There have been folks on here who have been in your same shoes who said they "beat the system" only to fail again at OCS.

Caesium

But why did you fail the MEPS depth perception test?

There have been folks on here who have been in your same shoes who said they "beat the system" only to fail again at OCS.
That's entirely possible, but it's not that I beat the system so much as I didn't really know how to do it the first time. And it isn't that I failed at MEPS and then passed using a civilian test, I failed at MEPS, passed a civilian test, and then went back and passed at MEPS with the same test I failed the first time.

But we'll see. I do know that conditions are tougher at OCS (lack of sleep etc). If I do fail at OCS I'll report back. Hopefully if that happens I can still redes to NFO.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
The connection between the Magic Eye books and the MEPS test is this: both are autostereograms (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram).

It's a skill that can be built up. I suppose some people caught on then and there with the test. While using an autostereogram would inevitably fail a lot of people with fully-functioning depth perception (myself included, planning to re-take ASAP), I can see why it would be attractive to MEPS: It's impossible to cheat on.