• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

re-enlisting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zamirs

does anyone know the procedure if i want to go reserves while in school?

i was in the corps 6 years ago (1998) for 6 months. i completed boot & mct, but never got to my mos school. i was discharged at geiger for pneumonia and my re-code is 3p. assuming i can have that waived, what happens now? do i have to go through basic and mct again, or can i go straight to a designated mos school?

either way, how does the whole thing work. when would i have to go through training? during the summer when school is out or now? tell me all you know. thanks!

Clux4

Banned
This are tough questions. I will suggest that you pick up the phone and talk to a prior service recruiter. Those guys are really helpful. They will hook you up when necessary.

zamirs

hey,

thanks for the suggestion, but how do i get in touch with one of those guys? i've been calling around (800.marines & others) and noone seems to be able to help me. are they at a regular recruiting office or only at limited locations?

Clux4

Banned
You might need to call the unit you intend on going for your reserve time and they will get you to talk to their career planner of their recruiter. But i don't think you will need to go back to Boot-Camp and MCT provided your health situation is waiverd. You will probably just need to go to an MOS school within 18 months of joining the unit, which you can always do during your summer.

I will say call 1-800-MArines and tell them you want to speak to a prior service recruiter in your area.

zamirs

:verymad_1 :irked_125 yeah very funny, there is no way i'm going anywhere other than the corps. i've been talking to rotc instructors (all happen to be usn), who constantly correct me whenever i say boot. thhose guys have no clue about the marine side of things. everything they tell me about (marine commissioning programs) is incorrect (i know from experience and other marines). i've been talking to those guys way too long, and it's warping my mind. so, anyone have a clue as to where i can find some informed personnel who can help me out (most impotantly-ones who won't tell me what they think i want to hear and who can actually make things happen)?

p.s.-i don't have a waiver yet. that's the most impotant thing right now. i need all the help i can get. any suggestions? :icon_conf

p.p.s.-by the way...i'm a she! :D

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Okay

All kidding aside.

I know for a fact that Boot Camp and MCT are done deals for you---you only become Marine once! Since this has been over thirty monthes ago, you will re-start at the next lowest rank/paygrade (well, it shouldn't be a biggy).
i've been talking to rotc instructors (all happen to be usn), who constantly correct me whenever i say boot.
They've obviously never been enlisted or have never been to Great Lakes or one of the MCRDs. :confused: Clueless bastards!

zamirs

i left as a pvt (e-1), so now i get to go back as a pfc (e-2). is that correct? if everything works out and i do get a waiver, does anyone know for a fact when i go to an mos school? is it right away or in the summer (between semesters, after ocs)? how is my reserve unit determined/how is that affected if i transfer schools?

1.800.marines doesn't work because it's a civie on the other end who doesn't know what i'm talking about. when they give me the number of a recruiter in my area (NE PA-poconos), he/she doen't know if that's a prior service recruiter. i need an alternate source.

i've been talking to rotc instructors (all happen to be usn)...-zamirs

They've obviously never been enlisted or have never been to Great Lakes or one of the MCRDs. Clueless bastards! -usmcbebop

plmtree

Your best bet would be to the closest reserve unit where you go to school or live. They can give you the phone number to the prior service recrutier and he'll help you out to put a package together but keep in mind you are the one that has to do most of the legwork.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but with a RE-3P your chances of reenlisting are at about 3%. I know this because I worked in the personnel field and my husband was a Marine recruiter for 3 years. But for all I know things have changed and I might be wrong. Don't give up until you have exhausted all your resources. Good luck.

R

RickyDT34

zamirs said:
i left as a pvt (e-1), so now i get to go back as a pfc (e-2). is that correct? if everything works out and i do get a waiver, does anyone know for a fact when i go to an mos school? is it right away or in the summer (between semesters, after ocs)? how is my reserve unit determined/how is that affected if i transfer schools?

1.800.marines doesn't work because it's a civie on the other end who doesn't know what i'm talking about. when they give me the number of a recruiter in my area (NE PA-poconos), he/she doen't know if that's a prior service recruiter. i need an alternate source.

I dont think you will get E-2 unless you were promoted before you left; even then, a lot of times you have to take a paygrade cut when you sign your new contract. I almost had to when I went back into the reserves. Try a recruiter in Philly, New Brunswick, or some other larger city in your area. They should be able to help you. Hope this helps.

P.S. The Navy calls it Boot Camp, not basic.

Status
Not open for further replies.