• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ranking preferences for P-8A squadron

Northstar

Ralph
None
I expect to be winging this fall from VP-30, and I am wondering how I should rank my preferences for my next squadron? What are some of the factors that people consider when putting in their preferences for a squadron? I'm assuming deployment schedule is one, but what else? Obviously I already know I am staying at NAS Jax (which leaves VP-5, VP-16, VP-45, I believe...) Any input would be appreciated.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you know anyone in any of the listed squadrons? What's the street cred of each of the squadrons? Were you in the FRS with any PXOs or DHs? What research have you done?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should absolutely go to VP-5, theMad Foxes. NFLAMF !!!
Besides, VP-16 is a bunch of prima donnas :)

We just know that we're awesome.

But seriously, second the advice on talking to people in the squadrons now and getting a sense of who the leadership is. A squadron can swing from awesome to shitty or vice versa quickly. I won't lie I was actually not happy when I found out I got 16 because everyone was miserable there at the time, but we then got a good crop of DHs, some douchebag JOs left, and we were blessed with some good front offices and I enjoyed my time. If you really want to get into deployment schedules you need to get on the high side and take a look at the master aviation plan, but know that's always subject to change. Regardless, you really don't have much say in the matter and you'll go where you need to fill a hole. When I got winged not a single person in my class got Whidbey despite multiple people wanting it.

Good luck with the rest of the RAG and you will see my shining face in ARP/ORE!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And this boys & girls is how the kool-aid induced, brain washing starts. Be afraid :)
Commodoremid is now officially part of the problem! Woohoo! I keed.

Seriously though, good advice in this thread. Ultimately it's just a preference sheet and when you get to the squadron you should enjoy your JO tour and of course joining in on as many practical jokes on those pesky O4s as you can.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Are you not able to request any of the six Jax squadrons, 5, 8,10, 16, 26 and 45? Or is there a P-3 vs. P-8 issue? Do you have to select a squadron that has already transitioned?

Deployment schedule is a good place to start, being able to do a full deployment shortly after you arrive is a good way to get qualified quickly as you are more likely to get lots of flights and study opportunity plus more opportunity for dedicated PQS sessions without home life interference etc. But, being at home also has advantages, more sim time etc. Cred of squadron is a good thing to look at as all squadrons go through cyclical cycles of being good and bad, best place for that info is the newer instructors who have arrived at 30 in the past year and still maintain friendships within their previous squadrons.

Good luck.

Northstar

Ralph
None
Thank you all for the very valuable input. I have a good few months before I can put my preferences in (which will probably have little effect, if any, on where I end up). If anyone is in any of the P-8 squadrons, feel free to shoot me a message about your squadron.

Are you not able to request any of the six Jax squadrons, 5, 8,10, 16, 26 and 45? Or is there a P-3 vs. P-8 issue? Do you have to select a squadron that has already transitioned?

I was selected for the P-8 training syllabus.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does -30 give much/any weight to dream sheet requests for specific squadrons?

Out of -120, they'd try hard to get you your preferred coast, but usually told you not to get your hopes up for a specific squadron. They have to balance a lot of factors in who goes where, and your 'druthers were waaay down that list.