• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random BDCP questions

Stalin

Instead of clogging up the forum, I decided to put all my random questions here (I have quite a bit of them.) Can you get MGIB while on BDCP? I am collecting it now as a ARNG private, don't know if I'd be eligible for it on BDCP. Also, I do military funerals with the ARNG, is there any way I could help out with the Navy's Honor Guard on BDCP? Thanks.

m26

Contributor
You can't use GI bill while on BDCP. The honor guard I don't know about, but you won't have a uniform to use.

Stalin

Ok so it doesn't matter that I can currently use it now? Come to think of it, I think this GI Bill I'm using now is just for the Guard...

And if it was like the ARNG Honor Guard, they issue you everything (but you have to give it back when you leave the team.) I just didn't know if you had to go through the Navy's version of basic training and AIT like you need to have in the ARNG. Do you have any idea how normal enlisted sailors do Honor Guard? I know they have teams that do it a lot, we sometimes support them in funerals

m26

Contributor
If it's a NG/ANG bill, then obviously you won't be able to use it once you leave the guard. I am certain that I couldn't use the GIB if I wanted, and I'm pretty sure that priors cannot either.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Are you under post 9/11or chapter 30?If so, the yes, You may be eligible to draw on the GI Bill if you earned it previously while you are in the BDCP.

As a vet, it's your benefit you earned and you can use it.

Just remember, that BDCP=active duty and therefore you loose part of the entitlement for every month you draw.

If you are not under post 9/11 or chapter 30, then your benefits stop the day you leave the guard.

edit:not sure why I asked you about chapter 30, that wouldnt have applied to you unless you had an active period before entering the guard like a friend of mine who went Active Marine->ang->NUPOC (the nuke version of BDCP.

Stalin

no, but if I was able to deploy I wouldve been able to tap into that new MGIB.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking this MGIB I have is NG only.

EM1

That's probable, that should be the MGIB-SR program.

Just wanted to make sure you knew that if you had post 9/11 benefits you knew you could still use them.

flyer

Can you use the gi bill you a recieve as an enlisted while your in bdcp or does the active duty status stop you from being able to use it?

m26

Contributor
No, you cannot use GI bill in BDCP. I'm 100% sure non-priors can't use MGIB or tuition assistance, and I'm almost certain that it is the same for priors.

On the upside you can probably get in-state tuition if you go to a public school as a nonresident.

Edit: Noticed that I basically posted the exact same thing earlier. Still...

EM1

PRIORS CAN use any benefit earned while previously active while in BDCP/NUPOC/CEC.....It's something EARNED BEFORE. yes, if you have earned the GI Bill already you can use it.

Only issue would be if BDCP paid tuition. (duplication of benefits under DOD regs) Since it doesnt, you can draw the GI Bill that you earned as a prior. Only limitations will be that you hit the AD requirements (ie, if post 9/11 they pay tuition but NOT BAH)

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Random Question: ID & Tags

I've read about some guys/girls doing "ride-alongs" and some space A traveling while in BDCP, they mention the requirements being active duty (BDCP takes care of that) and dog tags for flight. My question is, are you issued dog tags with your military ID when in BDCP? Do you/are you allowed to purchase them? Kind of random, kind of stupid, but on my mind for some odd reason at 1/4 to 3 in the am.:icon_tong

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Strange, I was never asked for my dog tags while i flew space available. Your ID card should suffice, and a passport if you're wishing to travel internationally. As for ID Tags, if you're really desperate to get some, you can order some online for yourself, just make sure that they conform to military standards.

GrandFromage

Speaking of Space A, While I think I know the answer to this one, I still want to ask. When flying, can you only sponsor dependents? What about a girlfriend? I am not married, and probably wont be for a while, but was wondering if I could sponsor my girlfriend to fly with me?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of Space A, While I think I know the answer to this one, I still want to ask. When flying, can you only sponsor dependents? What about a girlfriend? I am not married, and probably wont be for a while, but was wondering if I could sponsor my girlfriend to fly with me?

You sure can!

As soon as you marry her :)