• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I find this interesting. One important function of the media is as a political watchdog. Social media's role so far has been to function as a one-stop content aggregator for news reporting and discussion.

But social media platforms plan on banning offensive Trump statements...which removes their ability to support this function and will probably have the effect of exposing fewer people to these statements, leading to less outrage, leading to better support for Trump.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I find this interesting. One important function of the media is as a political watchdog. Social media's role so far has been to function as a one-stop content aggregator for news reporting and discussion.

But social media platforms plan on banning offensive Trump statements...which removes their ability to support this function and will probably have the effect of exposing fewer people to these statements, leading to less outrage, leading to better support for Trump.
Huh, interesting analysis

johnboyA6E

None
There was some talk earlier in this thread about a book called White Fragility. This book has become something of a bible for those that believe that all whites are racist whether they think so or not. I came across a really interesting review of it by Matt Taibbi, who says, among many other things, "White Fragility, may be the dumbest book ever written"

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/on-white-fragility

Taibbi is a pretty liberal guy, but he takes some tough positions against the mainstream leftists.

It's kind of a long read, but its worth your time. If only to give you comfort that not all liberals are mindlessly following the herd these days.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
There was some talk earlier in this thread about a book called White Fragility. This book has become something of a bible for those that believe that all whites are racist whether they think so or not. I came across a really interesting review of it by Matt Taibbi, who says, among many other things, "White Fragility, may be the dumbest book ever written"

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/on-white-fragility

Taibbi is a pretty liberal guy, but he takes some tough positions against the mainstream leftists.

It's kind of a long read, but its worth your time. If only to give you comfort that not all liberals are mindlessly following the herd these days.
Good read. I’m glad there are people out there willing to call out that lunacy

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Good read. I’m glad there are people out there willing to call out that lunacy
Robin DiAngelo is a troll. When she taught at Westfield State University, that bastion of higher education, she complained that the students were “too unaware” to enroll in her oh-so important courses. In higher ed most consider her book...to use our “special l gauge”...a fallacy of reification.

My best, learned, advice...ignore her.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
One important function of the media is as a political watchdog.
This doesn’t occur when CNN and MSNBC are unwilling to ask Democrats the hard questions, or when Fox or Rush Limbaugh are unwilling to ask Republicans the hard questions. The news media is failing at their function.

However, thinking in terms of game theory (e.g. prisoner’s dilemma), there is not much incentive for a news outlet to ask everyone the hard questions equally. The outlet would irk half their viewers one hour and the other half the next hour. You’d think that there would be a big market demand for unbiased media, but actually I think people are dumb and lazy, and they just want to hear what they “already know to be true.”

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This doesn’t occur when CNN and MSNBC are unwilling to ask Democrats the hard questions, or when Fox or Rush Limbaugh are unwilling to ask Republicans the hard questions. The news media is failing at their function.

However, thinking in terms of game theory (e.g. prisoner’s dilemma), there is not much incentive for a news outlet to ask everyone the hard questions equally. The outlet would irk half their viewers one hour and the other half the next hour. You’d think that there would be a big market demand for unbiased media, but actually I think people are dumb and lazy, and they just want to hear what they “already know to be true.”
There's a second half to this, which is . . .
Social media's role so far has been to function as a one-stop content aggregator for news reporting and discussion.
Not just an aggregator, but a filter bubble generator. It'd be one thing if it just aggregated, say, Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, the Big 3 broadcast news channels, CSM, WSJ, Reuters, AP, Slate, and National Review. Or a similar basket of sources. Then, you might get a quasi-credible smorgasboard of opinions from across the spectrum.

Now, though, you can go down the rabbit hole and block the left side of that and pick up Breitbart and WorldNetDaily and the like. Or block the right and pick up Kos, Occupy Democrats, and so forth. And if that's all you get, you're screwed, because you've got such a skewed view of those alleged assholes on the other side of the aisle.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I disagree. As long as I can tune into Fox News to find out what nefarious activity the 'Kenyan' President Obama was up to or CNN to find out what outrageously racist thing Trump said when you snip 3-7 words out of context, the media as a conglomerate is doing its job.

The press today is far more fair and balanced than it was in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I disagree. As long as I can tune into Fox News to find out what nefarious activity the 'Kenyan' President Obama was up to or CNN to find out what outrageously racist thing Trump said when you snip 3-7 words out of context, the media as a conglomerate is doing its job.

The press today is far more fair and balanced than it was in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
How many people do you know watch a multiple, varied channels methodically like that?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Most. If for no other reason than you can't avoid the fact that public places love to simulcast CNN, Fox News, and ESPN. The news channels talk about the same crap on loop while ESPN talks about like 3 NBA players on loop.

exNavyOffRec

I have come to dislike all news outlets, it isn't about news it is about revenue and revenue comes from advertisers, advertisers pay based on ratings, and ratings are how many people you can get to tune in, so these news stations will do anything they can to get people to watch.

"If it bleeds it leads"