• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcaf

I've been accessing this site for about a year and its great. I just graduated from BOOST in RI and I am at my college waiting for classes to start. I know you hear this same question over and over but I will ask anyway. I graduated from nuke power school with a 3.6 GPA and protype the #2 student; since Steve did both of these schools, I figure you could gauge how good my chances are at getting flight school. I'm good at the tech stuff but English is my pitfall. Is there any English section on the ASTB. A person at my unit who got flight school said he flunked the autobiography the first time. What's up with that? When he re-took the test he was less cautious in his answers. Any suggestions on this part. Another thing I noticed is ensigns are now receiving orders to Vance Air Force Base. I guess its random and they start out on jet trainers rather than the T-34. I've been told that upon graduating from here, its automatic carrier jets and you can pick the jet. Also the trainig time drops to about 1 year. Out of 12 future SNA's only 2 were heading to Vance. Does anyone have the full details on this? I know its not bull because I've seen the orders for myself. I guess that's it for my first post. Later

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As it stands, the military, and the Navy need pilots. I am sure your Advisor at your ROTC can tell you the details, but as long as you have a competitive selection package, you should be in good shape. There of course is always the medical physical to also take into consideration.

As for the ASTB, I don't personally recall anything on the test that would pose a problem with regard to your concern. Your tech background will probably help you throughout the test. As for the biography inventory, I too had friends that took the test multiple times to get a score to get into the program. Basically, the military is looking for an individual who is willing to take risks, aggressive, and goal oriented, while at the same time can work with others and can follow the rules. On my links page are a couple of good links to sites on the ASTB.

As for Oklahoma, yes a number of Navy SNAs go there instead of Pensacola. In my Advanced class now, there are two guys (squid and jarhead) that went through Vance. It is interesting to hear of the completely different training environment they went through up there, and that they are suddenly having to adapt to the Navy's completely different methodology. Yes, they start out on the T37 Tweet (??) jet trainer, but that is only for a couple more years as they and the Navy phase in the Texan. As for picking jets automatically, I doubt that is the case, since they still have to compete for the slots available, and they don't send people they don't think can make it through the arduous jet pipeline.

Hope that helps,

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mcaf,

Congratulations on graduating from BOOST. I know what a pain in the ass it is there. I was a student in the first class that went through there, so we were the guinea pigs. And let me tell you, we were surely experimented on. I felt like BOOST was a waste of my time. It's purpose was supose to be to raise my SAT score. I graduated number 10 in the class and my SAT score didn't change. The only reason I received my NROTC scholarship was because I took that other standarized test...I forget the name of it. Anyway, I'm sure you're glad it's over. That was one hell of a winter up there this year, huh? It was definately not that cold when I was there for BOOST. Ok, enough babbling...on to your questions.

First thing. Forget that you're a prior and just play the ROTC game. You're gonna have kids that don't have the slightest clue telling you what to do. Best thing I can say is just go with it. I tell you this because I made the mistake fighting their little system my first year there and had a real negative experience that year. Second, GO TO CLASS. Just getting to college and getting discharged for your ROTC scholarship, you may feel a certain freedom to not have to go to class. Maybe not, but I suspect you may. If you are having these thoughts, don't buy into them. I can't even stress enough how much better my GPA would've been if I would have just showed up for class. Not even studying any more, if I would've just showed up for an hour lecture. Third, don't screw up your finances cause it'll bite you in the ass later.

Don't sweat the English and there is definately no need to sweat the ASTB for about a year or so. I also failed the autobiography on the ASTB the first time and then passed it on the second. Like your friend, I was less cautious in my answers. Don't play the "what are they looking for here" game. It doesn't work.

You are correct on the Ensigns and their orders to Vance AFB for primary and intermediate flight training. It's completely random. It's not automatic carrier jets. As John has pointed out, there are a couple fellows there in Corpus for advanced props. I have also known a couple guys go through Vance and get helos.

One thing that I would like to point out regarding the T-37 Tweet that the AF uses vs. the T-34 for the Navy. They both utilize a single engine gas turbine (jet). The main difference is how they each produce their thrust. The T-37 obviously uses the propelled exhaust gasses out the tail whereas the T-34 uses a propeller coupled to the gas turbine (through reduction gears of course). Hence, the T-34 is called a turbo prop. My point is that they both count as single engine jet time. This is why P-3 pilots are picked up for the airlines fairly easily. There are 4 of these "jet" engines instead of only one. Most people think of the T-34 as a typical propeller aircraft powered by a piston engine. If you ask me, the basic structure and operation of the gas turbine is much simpler than the piston. However, there is typically more systems associated with them vice the piston engine.

You are also right regarding the length of training. I know a guy who graduated from UF that went to Vance and was winged in one year. Of course, he got helos though. From people that I have talked through who went through Vance, they DO NOT screw around there. Unlike the Navy, they already know when you will be done when you start the program. If you're navy, and you end up there, you do your primary and intermediate training there. Unless you get the E-6, you will go to Whiting for helos, Corpus for props, or Kingville or Meridian for jets.

One thing I forgot to mention. Make sure you choose a major that you have an interest in. Don't let anyone tell you that have to have a tech major to be competitive for aviation. That's simply not true. Hell, you don't need a tech major to be competive for the nuke program. Just do yourself a favor and major in what you have a desire to learn about. But most of all, enjoy yourself.

If you can make it happen, you might want to consider flying lessons if you haven't already. This isn't to make you more competitive. But it'll give you an indication of your monkey skills, aptitude, and whether you like flying or not. Just my two cents worth.

Take care and best wishes,

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just curious, but what power school class were you in and where'd you go to prototype?

Dave Shutter

Congrat's. Mcaf!

I'm not an officer or SNA yet, but from my college experience what Steve says sounds real solid to me! You need to get into an airplane and I'm not talking about a TWA flight to Daytona for a vacation. If for no other reason to discover wether or not you really love flying. Your gonna have to, because those gold wings have a huge price tag hanging from them, before and after you get them! Ask someone who has them if you don't believe me!

I can't count how many people I met in college that have started majors all over again after a few years or even gone back to college after graduating all together because they spent years in a subject they thought they loved but then during that senior year internship, or that first job in the world when they actually got their hands into it; they discovered they hated it! I've seen it, and it's a huge waste!

Also what Steve said, don't worry about a tech major! If you really want to take up a tech, then by all means, but I've met scores of fighter pilots at air shows that have non-tech degrees, SNA's on the forum have all kinds of degrees, and my brother knew Tomcat pilots in his squadron that had Phys.Ed, and Art degrees! I have a filmmaking degree and if my waiver's go through I'll have a shot at SNA.

But for God's sake, graduate with a good GPA!

My $.02

Fly Navy

D

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One more thing about the flying bit. I took my first plane ride in a Cessna 152 when I was 14 out in a small town on the coast of California called Lompoc. We flew for about 30 minutes basically just flying around taking in the breathtaking scenery. After that I was hooked. I knew this is what I wanted to do. I started reading anything and everything I could my hands on about the subject. Books, magazines, ground school. I just wanted to soak up the information in whatever way I could. To this day, I still read as much on the subject as I can. I saved pennies, nickels, and dimes literally, for any flight lessons that I could get. You probably couldn't find too many people that were bigger aviation nuts than me. Well, when I came time to graduate from high school, I really had no money for college or for flight training. I knew that I had a chance at flight school, a longshot that it was, if I enlisted in the Navy. And that's just what I did. I signed up for the nuclear power program cause I knew many guys are picked up out of here for officer programs. And I knew that would be my ticket to navy flight school.

Well, because I was on active duty, I had money to really spend on flight lessons. So, during power school I took flight lessons and received my pilot's license shortly after I got to prototype in Idaho. Talk about a rush. Well, I got picked up for the officer program and as we know, selected for flight training. As some of us know, I DOR'd and here I sit now, a SWO waiting to check aboard my ship. My point is that even though I love flying, I just didn't seem to enjoy military aviation as much. Now there are many reasons for this and I'm not going into them here. I have the personal opionion that you DO NOT have to love flying in order to earn your wings. I can't even count how many people I ran into the squadron who had no idea what flying was like when they showed up for training. Some thoroughly disliked flying alltogether but just didn't want to quit. I find their perseverence admirable in some ways. However, I am of the philosohpy that you shouldn't be doing something if you are not enjoying it or are getting some form of satisfaction from your efforts.

Other guys were rather nonchalant about the whole flying thing. They could give a rats ass either way. They're were only in flight training program because it sounded interesting when they joined. And then there were those precious few who woke up every day eager to get in the air again.

My point finally. Just find out if flying is something you may want to pursue as a career. You don't have to love it. But it surely would help if you find it enjoyable. Again, it would also give you an indication of your monkey skills and aptitude.

Of course, I may be saying all this in vain. You may aldready be a commercially licensed pilot with over 500 hours. If that's the case, it's pretty safe to assume that you like to fly.

Take care and best wishes,

Mcaf

Wow, I can't believe how fast and indepth your replies were. I will start with my power school class which was 9802-2,EM, and I went to Balston Spa for prototype. I was at MARF plant and unlike most people I didn't mind the shift work or the long days. I was excited to apply all my new knowledge but all that wore off rather quickly when I reported to the John C. Stennis. When I was there, I talked to a few pilots(ship's crew doesn't interact with the air wing often, especially as a nuke) and they gave me the basic info. Since I was just a blueshirt, I don't think they took me too seriously. So I got the: well little guy to fly these big boy planes you have to be really really smart. I'm not saying all these pilots are conceded but they just establish a certain way to speak to blueshirts. That's why when I found this site, I was hooked. Everybody here is ready to help anyone.
Steve, you are absolutely correct in saying that this winter was horrible and BOOST was worthless to me. Well, I met some of the greatest people that I've ever met so I'm pretty happy about the whole deal. My SAT prior to BOOST was a 1200; this is not spectacular but it is good enough for college. Oh, I should say that I applied for NROTC but got this instead. Like Steve said, the school is designed to raise SAT scores but mine were plenty high enough for straight NROTC. Another thing we couldn't understand is there were 40 nukes out of a class of 230. There were 12 people in my company with SAT scores over 1300 before they arrived at BOOST. So I have no idea how they decide who goes to BOOST and who goes directly to ROTC. My company won the academic part of the Director's cup every term because we were loaded with nukes. So I know how the Navy can be when it comes to making decisions and this makes me worried about getting into flight school.
I definitely love flying and I've been up in a Cessna several times. Where I live there is a tiny airport practically behind my house. My father's friend would take me up all the time when I was a kid. I only know basic instruments and he never let me land or take-off but I know I love to fly. If I don't get airsick in a Cessna, am I less likely to get sick in a T-34? What makes peole airsick, is it the long duration flights, or the manuveaurs, or does it just happen and cannot really be explained. I'm not worried because like John said, it happens to everyone.
Thanks for the tip on college but I've learned through personal experience that going to class is important. I'd say 85% of the people I trained with were once college freshman but partied their way out. Most of them said its because they didn't go to class. The first day of "A" school was an eye opener. The instructor went around the room and asked students which college they failed out of. Almost every student had been to college. I was part of the college drop-out rush the Navy gets in the winter every year. The upside to this was we all started turning 21 in power school and as Steve probably knows very well: Orlando sucks unless your 21(even if you don't drink). Thanks again. Later

Status
Not open for further replies.