• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions: Post TBS and Pcola

I commission on July 1st and report to TBS on October 3rd of this year. I have a few questions as far as the timeline after TBS as I am looking to get married after TBS.

1. How much time do I have between TBS and Pcola?
2. Who do I need to talk to about getting married in between classes?
3. How does the exemption of IFS work and do I jump a class and start API? (I do have civilian pilot licences that rate private or higher)
4. Do you have any recommendations for someone who is entering flight school with civilian experience in aviation?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully Submitted,

Morrison

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
1. YMMV- no one knows at this point. Some people have 2 days, others have 6 months.
2. Marine Officer Control at MATSG-21. Don't call them now- you don't want to be that guy.
3. If you have a PPL you won't go to IFS.
4. Don't fuck it away; forget what you know from the civilian world- your job will be to learn how to fly the Naval Aviation way.

Your best bet is a courthouse marriage until you're in a more stable position in your career- planning for anything long term at this point is just going to frustrate and disappoint yourself and everyone involved. You have no idea where you are going to be this time next year.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Plan on, and try to, go slower than you anticipate. You are getting married and you need to set aside as much time as possible for your new bride. The fleet was there a century before, it will be there a century from now.

nukon

pilot
1.Disclaimer: I checked in to the MOC office in early April of last year. Following TBS, we were given a 'NLT' of two weeks later to report to NAS Pensacola. I was one of the first from my TBS company to start IFS ~3 weeks later. A guy checked in 2 months after me, and started IFS 1.5 weeks later. A different guy got arrived ~2 months ago and is supposed to start IFS next week.

2. One of the first things the grumpy MOC stashes did was ask if anyone was planning on getting married. I also asked us that at the start of API.. and primary.. and intermediate/advanced. . .

3. The second thing they asked on upon checkin was if anyone was a 'validator', the term they use for PPL holders exempt from IFS. Don't worry, even if you want to, they won't let you do IFS.

4. I saw a CFII at one of the VTs fail a contact checkride. Your experience gives you excellent context to build upon, but, don't mistake that for anything else.

Finally, enjoy TBS. You can get a lot out of it if you choose to. Generally speaking, there is a noticeable professional difference between the Marines and Navy OCS guys. Before you leave TBS, you'll be warned of getting the 'blue goo' or 'squid funk' on you during your stay with the Navy. Heed the warning! You won't have a leg to stand on when you find the Marine who doesn't appreciate your adopted grooming/behavioral standards. Flight school is awesome, have fun, don't get arrested.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Generally speaking, there is a noticeable professional difference between the Marines and Navy OCS guys. Before you leave TBS, you'll be warned of getting the 'blue goo' or 'squid funk' on you during your stay with the Navy. Heed the warning! You won't have a leg to stand on when you find the Marine who doesn't appreciate your adopted grooming/behavioral standards. Flight school is awesome, have fun, don't get arrested.

Remains strong in the Yut this one does.

Last edited:

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I agree wth the courthouse marriage idea. I did that to get my wife in Tricare and all that comes with being a dependent. Also, I had to pay for my own wedding, so the BAH/rent difference went into that fund until we had a ceremony where we invited the families and all. Worked out great for us, but YMMV.

Oh, and for advice about prior time. Don't push for the advanced standing stuff. Smoke check the early contact flights and get a great NSS vice trying to finish primary by skipping early contact flights.

TheYeti

Just to give you some perspective on my answers I came down to Pcola last November from TBS. Like others have said, a lot of these time frames shift month to month.

1. After TBS we had 30 days to check into MATSG-21 in Pensacola. I was an idiot and rushed down to check in ASAP. If you get time, take it. Leave is hard to come by outside the holidays and you will rack up time in primary and advanced that you may end up losing. Life lesson from the Marine Corps I guess, take leave any chance they hand it to you on a platter like that.
2. As far as an actual wedding ceremony like the above have mentioned, timing that will be difficult. If it's not a big deal to you or your fiancee get the marriage license sorted ASAP. Even if she doesn't come to TBS you'll get BAH for where she is living. The single peeps in Graves Hall got like $5 bucks a month or something ridiculous, no BAH, and possibly mesothelioma.
3. When you check in to MATSG as a validator (already have PPL), you'll just be thrown on the waiting list for API. If there is a ton of people from previous TBS companies waiting to class up you could be waiting weeks to months. If there happens to be a hole and they need someone that week you'll be plugged in that hole. My wait from checking in to MATSG and starting API was 2 weeks. I was a validator as well.
4. I have about 200 hours from civilian flying which I understand isn't much at all. This is significantly different. Sure my prior knowledge helped me to learn some of the T-6 stuff (emphasize some), but the expectation seems much higher than it did in civilian aviation training. I have studied my ass off here because there are so many things that need to be memorized to the point that you can recall them while flying at 200-240 kts. In any case that you don't remember the above rambling when you get down here, remember this:

API and Primary are schools that were made to be passed for those that put time in and study. Put time in and study, and you'll be fine!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Before you leave TBS, you'll be warned of getting the 'blue goo' or 'squid funk' on you during your stay with the Navy. Heed the warning! You won't have a leg to stand on when you find the Marine who doesn't appreciate your adopted grooming/behavioral standards.

Tell that dude to lighten up. You're in Naval Aviation and you're with the Wing now. This is the definition of "that guy"... (Unless he's your XO, in that case it's his job. However your job as a company grade card carrying member of JOPA is to piss your XO off whenever possible)

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Finally, enjoy TBS. You can get a lot out of it if you choose to. Generally speaking, there is a noticeable professional difference between the Marines and Navy OCS guys. Before you leave TBS, you'll be warned of getting the 'blue goo' or 'squid funk' on you during your stay with the Navy. Heed the warning! You won't have a leg to stand on when you find the Marine who doesn't appreciate your adopted grooming/behavioral standards. Flight school is awesome, have fun, don't get arrested.

Who enjoyed TBS? I'm guessing you have a high and tight.

Stay in Pensacola as long as you can. You will never be in a place that fun with that little responsibility ever again in your career.

nukon

pilot
Tell that dude to lighten up. You're in Naval Aviation and you're with the Wing now. This is the definition of "that guy"...

Who enjoyed TBS? I'm guessing you have a high and tight.

Stay in Pensacola as long as you can. You will never be in a place that fun with that little responsibility ever again in your career.

TBS sucked for most, but not all of the six months spent there. Merely trying to highlight the highlights. Other than that and your deeply offensive accusation of horrible haircuttery, agreed on all fronts.

My intent was simple.
1. There were good instructors and value added when I went through TBS. Maybe I was the exception that proves the rule. YMMV, but don't completely write it off before checking in.
2. Multiple guys recently received peepee slaps for crappy haircuts/uniforms/fatness aboard NAS Pensacola/ Whiting Field. By no means am I telling him to get white walls, iron his flight suit, and blind his superior officers with his motivation via mirror-shined flight boots. Just trying to spare him some minor ass pain.

Tangent: There's a stud driving around NASWF with a 'FIGMAC' license plate - had to admire the commitment.