• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from Air force student

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesand

Im currently waiting to attend training at pensacola and whiting field later this year (in May). Ive heard tons of rumors both good and bad, and am posting here to get a straight story. Basically, what differences (in both api and primary) do air force students have from navy, how in your knowledge does it differ from air force training, and how do the af students you know like it. For example, Ive heard that Af students don't have to swim, but Ive also heard they often get totally washed out of training because they cant (like me). Ive heard plenty of other things, but with a lot of people it's hard to tell what is true and what is inter service competitive nonsense. Also, on a final note, Im hoping some AF people out there are reading this, if you had the chance to go back and do training with the AF instead, would you? or would you be rather stay with the navy? (Just wondering since I can grab a slot at Moody in June and want all the facts before I do.)
Thanks all, appreciate the (nonflame) comments

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Mike,
I can answer your question about swiming. I know that AF pilots do not have to swim, because they swim with the AF later on in their training. However Navs do swim. But in all likeyhood you will not be washed out for swiming. If you have a problem with something you just get extra instruction until you pass. As for the other stuff I am Navy so I really dont know.

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Check out the Links section and you will see the flight journal of Lt. David Dominguez. He was an Air Force student in the Navy program so it should give you a feel for what to expect.

Semper Fidelis

Cpl. Miles

mikesand

Thanks for the info guys. Just a few more questions etc. I got my orders today and the show API starts May 17. Somehow Im scheduled to graduate at the end of Feb 03. Is there some kind of huge wait between api and pilot training? or is it a smooth flow. Also, how does the length of the course work? Is it paced by the individual, the instructor, or the class (since the length is listed as being 23-30 weeks). Anyway, thanks for the answers if you have em. Also, my email is hbk469@hotmail.com, just toss it to any AF students you might know. PS. I noticed one person kept spelling Air Force wrong... there's no A in force...

Ed Williams

Hello to all, i just graduated API last week. It is strange, but i almost miss it. TO MR. Airforce. LIke people on the forum have already mentioned, the AF pilots get out of all the swimming events. AS for waits, i would expect that being airforce you will only wait a few weeks. The airforce Master Sgt. that works in Flight management is really cool. Get to know him, he will only help you out. Any other questions about api, just let me know.
ed

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ed, congrats on finishing API, best of luck in your continued training.

Dave Shutter

Well this is where I'll be spending most of my time now, in the lovely "API" forum now that I'm a newly minted 0-1 whose recently checked into A-pool. Graduation was fabulous and the weekend was great, just as we were lining up for our salutes under the bluest sky you ever saw, a trio of Hornets took off in AB and cut just over the church. Ridley Scott couldn't have story-boarded a better pic.

I'm finishing up all my pre-API requirements this week and will be one of the lucky few getting O-HARP. Most of the OCS stashes I've met lately put the A-pool wait at about 8 weeks but it varies. Some ROTC/Academy guys I've met say they tend to wait longer, just what I've heard though. Bear in mind some people are also slow at getting all their boxes checked off (ie: PT TEST, UP-CHIT, etc.)

As for AF guys learning to swim:YOU CAN NEVER KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT SURVIVAL!

Vicki: Good luck on your next flight and watch the helmet fires, can't have you burning up what little hair you've re-grown after OCS! My new adress is shutter3867@gulfcoast.cnet.navy.mil

Grunt

Congrats on commissioning, its a day you'll never forget.

O-HARP? What's that?

Mike the Grunt

Ed Williams

OHARP is a program that lets individuals return to their recruiting command to work for up to 60 days. It is a good deal, almost like a paid vacation. If you get the chance, do it. I know that the FLight Management office is not too fond of giving it out, unless you have special circumstances, but if you do, get it.
ed

mattlowery

Ed,

Was API pretty horrifying as I've heard? Do you have previous flying experience? Also, the end of API is when you choose your pipeline right? What did you end up choosing? Did most everyone get what they wanted? Thanks!

Matt L.

Ed Williams

Like MAtt said, you don't select your platform until completion of primary. I'm hoping to get Helos and from what i've heard i should get them, but who knows. As for API it wasn't all that bad. You will need to put in the required time to study. I never really had good studying skills in college, but when i got to API i joined a study group and that worked wonders. IF you think that you can just get by with out studying, you are wrong. I had an aero-space engineeer in my class who felt like he didn't have to study for aero 2 and failed it twice then rolled. It is only 3 weekends of studying (the last 2 weeks of API are fun and no studying). If you can commit about 3-4 hours per night during the week and 45 on the weekends, you should do fine. I reccomend getting in a study group, it helped me out alot.
ed

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well,

Just finished up a nice 3 week underway period with a short stop down in Mazatlan, MX. Personally, I prefer my port visits to be in San Diego, CA, but oh well. Anyway, just wanted to briefly comment on this whole swim thing that MikeSand was asking about.

First, if you truly can't swim, then learn! And this has nothing about being able to swim from the East coast of the US to West coast of Africa. It has everything to do with simply being comfortable in the water. It really doesn't matter if you're an Olympic swimmer with a Gold medal when you have to punch out or worse...ditch...over the drink. More than likely, you won't be swimming anywhere. You'll probably be floating there in the water waiting for the nice helo guys to come pick you up. However, if you're uncomfortable in the water and start freakin out, you'll probably swallow more water than the navy allows and end up drowning yourself. But if you and the water are one, then you'll just calmly go through your survival procedures and wait to be picked up like a good pilot should. And yes, this applies to AF pilots as well. Granted, the nav flies over water religiously. However, God has a sense of humor and likes to mess with AF pilots. So don't be that one that doesn't like the water. As Matt already said, if you can't swim (i.e. hate the water), then you'll definately be the one that has to punch out....probably over Iceland too. Don't be that one. Take care.

--Steve Wilkins

Dave Shutter

The key point there is "comfortable in the water". If your not comfy in eight feet of crystal clear, clorinated, heated H2O with a half dozen lifeguards looking at you then how will you handle being all by yourself out in the middle of big blue after an ejection, which also tends to damage limbs. Survival, regardless of environment, depends on being calm and making the right choices. No one will expect you to pull a Magnum PI and tread water for 24 hours, but it would really suck if you died because you couldn't stay afloat for five minutes while a boat made it's way over to you.

On that note, had my pre-API PRT and swim screen today. Interesting thing, the AF NFO's were required to take the swim test BUT NOT THE PILOTS! I quess all the AF planes have recently had James Bond upgrades where the pilot section breaks off into a little rocket, carrying the pilot to safety while the WSO has to tough it out? Jeez! after all the trouble they go through to fill back seats in the first place you'd think they wouldn't want to just chuck those guys!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 02/14/2002 11:33:55

Status
Not open for further replies.