• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from a spouse about DH application for OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

obial

Born to be an X-Wing Pilot
Hello all,

My wife just signed me up so I figured I should go ahead and post a thing or two.

I got a call on Friday with the news that I was Pro Rec SNA. First time applying.

I actually started looking into the Air Force in June. I got everything filled out, took the test and was waiting on my recruiter ... actually I'm still waiting on my recruiter to move things forward. Instead of remaining in limbo, I got in touch with the Navy in September. We decided we would shoot for the Oct 09 board and rushed to get things done. We did and so far, so good.

My stats:

26, Male
ASTB: 5/6/5 49 (went in cold turkey cause we were trying to get it done quick)
GPA: 3.0 BA Humanities
GPA: 3.5 AAS Aviation Tech
LORS: Major Army Reserves, 757 Captain US Airways, Former Mentor/Professor.
No prior service
No police record
No medical history
250 hours total flight time (fixed wing). Commercial, MEL/SEL Instrument Rating.
Strong community serice record: Boy Scout, Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow and current BSA advisor. 2 year service mission in France (Church related service). Religious Seminary Instructor for High School students. I'm also scuba certified.

Pretty much been in euphoria since Friday. My wife keeps asking me, "Are you sure he said pilot?"

Congrats to everyone else who got selected!

apilotswife

Dh was just pre-selected for pilot. We're completely thrilled of course but also kind of anxious about getting him off to OCS in time. He turns 27 on April 4th so he has to start OCS in January (could he start in December maybe?) in order to commission in time. I have no idea how often they start a new class, is it every week? Or every 12 weeks? All we know so far is that he needs to go to MEPS and do his physical test for sit-ups/push-ups and running(?). Does he do the security clearance before, during or after OCS? His recruiter says this is all possible to get done in time we just need to hurry. I just want to make sure his recruiter knows what he's talking about (he seems really on the ball but it's better to be safe than sorry). Would he have been pre-selected if it were likely he'd run out of time?? Seems like a waste to me but I just thought I'd check.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Well- Let's put this in perspective. You've had 36 reads and zero responses.
I recommend that you try the Search function for "OCS Age", "Age Limit" or other phrases and words that describe your situation. Several folks have been in similar situations as you and it's been discussed previously. Lot's of really good info here when you look closer.

Have fun and best of luck.

apilotswife

I ran a search and couldn't find anything that matched and I don't want to read a million posts that are irrelevant. Apparently I'm a moron or something but if someone knows the answer can you please tell me or direct me to a thread that would give me the answer? I'm new to this forum and don't really know how to navigate it. Thanks!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Dh was just pre-selected for pilot. We're completely thrilled of course but also kind of anxious about getting him off to OCS in time. He turns 27 on April 4th so he has to start OCS in January (could he start in December maybe?) in order to commission in time. I have no idea how often they start a new class, is it every week? Or every 12 weeks? All we know so far is that he needs to go to MEPS and do his physical test for sit-ups/push-ups and running(?). Does he do the security clearance before, during or after OCS? His recruiter says this is all possible to get done in time we just need to hurry. I just want to make sure his recruiter knows what he's talking about (he seems really on the ball but it's better to be safe than sorry). Would he have been pre-selected if it were likely he'd run out of time?? Seems like a waste to me but I just thought I'd check.

(This is directed at your husband, pass it along please)

Listen to the recruiter. Take care of everything you can on your end; Quickly (don't sit on paperwork). Do the PT test, and don't suck. Security clearance is after, as long as you have no rap sheet you will be fine. Spend less time on the internet and more time doing what the Officer Recruiter directs you to do.

If you do everything on your end possible, then you should be fine, welcome to OCS, enjoy being an SNA...if not, 2 anchors are almost as good as one...motivation enough to work fast...

Pickle

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
I have no idea how often they start a new class, is it every week? Or every 12 weeks? All we know so far is that he needs to go to MEPS and do his physical test for sit-ups/push-ups and running(?). Does he do the security clearance before, during or after OCS? His recruiter says this is all possible to get done in time we just need to hurry. I just want to make sure his recruiter knows what he's talking about (he seems really on the ball but it's better to be safe than sorry). Would he have been pre-selected if it were likely he'd run out of time?? Seems like a waste to me but I just thought I'd check.

Can't control when classes start, so don't worry too much about it, but they seem to start every couple weeks (with a break over the holidays).

Make sure any needed medical records are gathered before MEPS (info about surgeries etc). Medical issues seemed to be where most people hit time-consuming snags.

Security investigation will start once the SF-86 is submitted after pro-rec (at least this was the way it worked for me). I have heard the investigation only needs to be opened, not finished, in order for final select to be granted. There isn't much he does though besides fill out the SF-86.

Others from my board are having similar concerns about age. I suggest you check out the August 2009 Boards thread to see how they are handling it.

As was mentioned, work quickly and be pro-active. When I was getting ready to submit my final documents I was in contact pretty much daily with my recruiter until it was all through.

apilotswife

Why isn't your husband doing this research?

Because we're a team, I'm supportive, I want this as much as he does, I'm a good wife, I'm a good researcher (usually), I like to plan ahead, I have to be involved and know everything, he's looking into this all too...and seriously, why would I not?? I don't like to just be along for the ride I like to be enthusiastic and involved in his life and job as much as possible. He also doesn't get online much, he's pretty busy working, doing school, teaching, etc etc etc. How is this a bad thing?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Would he have been pre-selected if it were likely he'd run out of time?? Seems like a waste to me but I just thought I'd check.

To put it bluntly, SNA hopefuls are a dime a dozen, so if time runs out on him, the Navy will have plenty others to take his place.

Also, what do you mean by pre-select? I know your husband needs to get to OCS by January because of the age constraint, but I don't know if that necessarily gives him priority to jump in front of someone who was final selected in the past few months and has a hard date to start OCS in January.

(For example, back in 2002 I was selected in June, and given an OCS date of Sep 13...I wasn't out the door the next week)

Until you get a class date from the recruiter, you don't have a warm fuzzy. Also, keep in mind, the January classes are probably filling up because all the December 2009 BDCP grads had their dates locked in for a year or two.

Not trying to be a downer by any means, but I think this is the reality.

navy09

None
He also doesn't get online much, he's pretty busy working, doing school, teaching, etc etc etc. How is this a bad thing?

Because if he ever gets commissioned and hits the fleet he'll have to be very comfortable being incredible busy and still having to figure stuff like this out for himself.

apilotswife

You guys are very rude and ignorant to what a good, lasting marriage is all about.

Thanks to the few of you who gave real insight to OCS being tough to get into. I didn't think it was going to be a cakewake, none of this process has been easy, I just wanted to know what to expect. What is the point of having a forum to ask questions if you get flamed for any question you ask?? Why not just make this site a FAQ only site and skip all the nonense of having people post and reply, since obviously most of you can't handle that in a polite and mature manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.