• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt_SNA_USMC

Greetings Gentlemen:
My name is 2nd Lt. R. E. Williamson. I was just recently commissioned 3 Aug 2002 (ooh rah!!). I have tentative orders to TBS for 10 Apr 2003 (I know it's a long wait). I am an air contract(SNA), and I had the privilege of participating in the Marine Corps Flight Indoctrination Program (FIP) my senior year. I logged 25 hours of flight time, 6 hours of which was solo time. I am extremely motivated for TBS, and I am writing into the forum to offer my knowledge to anyone with a question about the program, OCS, the Marine Corps, TBS, etc.(I surely do not know everything, but I may be able to help) Anyone with a question, please feel free to write into the forum, or just e-mail me at rwilliamson02@yahoo.com
Stay motivated and Semper Fi!! Ooh Rah!!
2nd Lt. R. E. Williamson, USMCR

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know that you are probably about to get a flood of questions. Definitely thanks for coming to the site and offering your knowledge and experiences to others.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Hard Charger,
Do they have you stashed or are you working a civilian job? If you want to work jobs as a 2ndLt, I am sure you can find a paying job somewhere working in the reserves. Look at www.marineforcesreserve.com. Jobs listed under ADSW are temporary jobs but can be available to you. It would be a good learning experience. My recommendation is to look for billets in Hawaii or Europe. You'll have a blast. Just for your info. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Citizen

congrats on the commission. let me be the first to smother you with questions

what was your PFT score (if you don't mind) and what would you say was the average in your group? i'm in the midst of torturing myself daily (it's actually kind of fun) but i'm not sure if i'll ever able to pull off a sub 20-min run. i'm working towards perfection but i need to be somewhat realistic at the same time

what testing strategies helped you, for both the academic and physical tests? i know my arco book like the back of my hand, the OSO tells me he has a study guide as well just curious how you studied/trained.

thanks for any help!

Citizen

sorry! one more thing:

i'm trying to fit getting my private license in before i send my package off, but i don't know just how much of an edge that would give me. i've recieved conflicting reports on how much of a difference it would make

thanks again!

mcbride_t_m

I have a partial answer to your question concerning how much help having your Private Pilot´s License will have on your package (partial info can sometimes be more dangergous than no info, you decide). I had my Private Pilot´s License before I submitted my package (albeit in 1996). Having the License was not the be-all-end-all to persuade HQ, or the "Powers Above" as I affectionately call them, to give me a slot. They based their decision, from the information I received, on my GPA, AFQTR, and MOI recommendations. Now onto what the License will do for you...
Before graduating from college, I discussed with a seasoned F-18 driver who came to give a presentation on going to the air side of the Corps whether having a my Private Pilot´s License would help me in flight school. He recommended that I not even mention that I had flown before. In other words, he was recommending the wallflower approach. Better to start on a level playing field and then "shine on you crazy diamond." So... when I got to flight school, I did not volunteer that I had any flight time to ANYONE unless they asked. With the new programs in place, I doubt that most guys will have that option. From what I understand, every air stud gets a few hours to put a Cessna through its paces. And on to what that means...
There are two schools of thought about having flight time. First, some instructors believe that having no flight time is the way to go (this seems to be old school). They would rather have a "clean slate with no bad habits to break." Second school guys, and they have taken the lead in this debate, believe that ANY flight time is better than NO flight time. I agree with this approach. Having my Private Pilot´s License helped my out to some degree. I had a better grasp of radio comms, reading charts, performing basic maneuvers, etc... than the guy fresh off the street. The Air Force has been providing this basic civilian instruction for a few years. The Navy and Marine Corps have just recently began this early training as well. Don´t get me wrong, I flew with guys that had hundreds of flight hours and they didn´t know their head from a hole in the ground. I also flew with fresh Marine Corps Lieutenants who didn´t know a wing from a rotor before flight school and now are dropping bombs in far away lands. My point (it was coming)... any training that puts you in a cockpit is good training. It is ultimately up to you to study your ass off while in flight school. However, having an idea of how things work in the sky will make the transition easier. And, as a Marine, I like to break everything down "Barney style." Flying is the greatest thrill in the world, besides maybe joining the mile high club. Even following the Private Pilot syllabus will help you on your way to becoming a more efficient aerial killing machine, and that is ultimately what we are training to do. Cheers.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually,
The Navy/Marine Corps just brought the training back on line. It was cut in the early '90's due to slick Willy. The Navy had a squadron of T-34B's that they would take potential SNA's flying up to 20 hours. The Marine Corps had V tailed Bonaza's, painted Red and Gold with "Marines" on the side, that provided up to 20 hours of flight time for potential SNA's. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Lt_SNA_USMC

Gentlemen, greetings.
First off, thank-you Frumby for your answer to my questions both here and about the flight time. In reply to Citizen about the PFT. You have to have a 225 or better to go to OCS. You know that. Personally, I would not attempt OCS with only a 225. Some candidates do so successfully and kudos to them. I run a 290+ PFT. At juniors (I went to Jrs before they made it "easier") I ran 280s. Most candidates there ran 260s or so. At seniors, I think everyone in my company was 275+. I was needless to say impressed and challenged. In my opinion, there are only 2 things you can do to really prepare for OCS. First is to read and study the Marine Officer's Handbook, and other literature for OCS. And the the other way to prepare is physically. I do not care how much of a PT junkie you are, you will be challenged at OCS. Trust me. My recommendation is to run 250+ at least prior to shipping for OCS (275 is ideal). Not only will you be better prepared for PT, but you will get less flack from the instructors. 300 PFTers get a lot less crap from them (in my experience they do). RUN, RUN, RUN. DO PULLUPS, PULLUPS, PULLUPS. Try this workout. It's at www.navysealchallenge.com. It's the training program they use at BUDS (Navy seal school). Good luck and SEMPER FI.
2nd Lt. R.E. Williamson

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
2nd Lt Williamson,
I just commissioned 19 July and also have orders to TBS in Apr. So I'm sure we'll be in the same Company. Do you happen to know if we will report directly to Pen or will we be waiting around for the next class to start? Email me @ E5B@hotmail.com, I have some ?'s about OCS, I bet we were there at the same time.

Semper Fi

2nd Lt Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.