• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about "dream sheet"

schwaack

Hey everyone, I'm a MIDN 2/c and I recently completed my 2/c cruise (Surface Warfare). However after talking with some of the officers I have been shaken up a bit, and was wondering if anyone could put these doubts to bed.

I've done as much as I could do get aviation. I currently have a 3.9 GPA (Tier 3 major), 7/8/8 57 ASTB, and a respectable PRT. However, after speaking with some of the officers, they are not sure I will be picked up for aviation.

Some said my GPA is too high for pilot and I will most likely be nuke drafted, while others have said to not put SWO on my dream sheet at all because I will end up getting it over aviator.

I don't really believe much of that, but as far as I understand there's not enough choices to avoid putting SWO or nuke on the dream sheet.. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
As far as your data goes, you have better GPA and ASTB scores than I did, and I made NFO, so someone saying your GPA is "too high for pilot" is nonsense IMHO. Nuke drafts did happen in my USNA class though, so I guess it's a possibility. I don't know how your dream sheet works at your school, but if you don't want to be a nuke, don't put it on your dream sheet.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...However after talking with some of the officers I have been shaken up a bit, and was wondering if anyone could put these doubts to bed....I currently have a 3.9 GPA (Tier 3 major), 7/8/8 57 ASTB....However, after speaking with some of the officers, they are not sure I will be picked up for aviation....Some said my GPA is too high for pilot and I will most likely be nuke drafted.

Your GPA being too high is one I've honestly never heard before, I think it also happens to be absurd. Also, I hadn't heard that the Navy has gotten desperate enough to draft Tier 3 majors no matter how high their GPA is.

Just who are these officers you are talking to? Were they the O's on the ship or your NROTC instructors?

schwaack

Your GPA being too high is one I've honestly never heard before, I think it also happens to be absurd. Also, I hadn't heard that the Navy has gotten desperate enough to draft Tier 3 majors no matter how high their GPA is.

Just who are these officers you are talking to? Were they the O's on the ship or your NROTC instructors?
They were all JOs on the ship

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None

Yeah, I should definitely caveat that the dudes I know that were drafted for Nuke were ALL Tier 1, engineering majors. I think you're safe.

Meow

pilot
Hey, current NROTC instructor here. I'd like to give you my perspective on your question.

First, the process is called service assignment. You can absolutely be "drafted" (i.e. forced) to be a nuke. You can kick and scream about it, and maybe your CO will go to bat for you, but if the nuclear community needs people and you seem like the best option for them, there's little you can do. (Anecdote: our current submarine officer was forced to be a nuke out of NROTC)

Second, your major won't automatically preclude you from being considered for nuke. Your nuclear officer is there to prepare you for the interview and they're good at doing it. (Anecdote: this year - the class of 2017 - our unit had to force a public policy major to be a nuke SWO. He went along willingly, so I can't speak to what would have happened if he made a scene about it, but the point is it happens)

All of that said, it's very unlikely you'll forced to be a nuke. Our unit gets 1st or 2nd choices for 92% of midshipmen. You should absolutely aim for the highest GPA possible and not try to "game" the system based off gouge and the opinions of officers with no say in the process (including me, by the way, this is just my perspective). The Navy need pilots and NFOs (usually 30-50% of our graduating class goes aviation), you have good ASTB scores, and your major isn't ideal for nukes. My advice would be to continue to do well, be a good guy/gal in the unit, make it clear how much you want aviation to your instructors, and I think everything will work out.

Feel free to ask any other questions, but I second what Flash said above, your instructors should be your first source of advice.

azguy

None
They were all JOs on the ship

Consider your source. I would definitely run all of this by your ROTC instructors - they are going to be more up to speed on the current trends/drafts than anyone on here.

Barring that, speak with @HAL Pilot - our NFO airline pilot who is super up to speed on the current ROTC drafts... :D #crossthread

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Okay asshole, I never said I was up to speed on current drafts. I said no one should be forced into what is essentially a decade long service commitment involuntarily.

But as I said, DOR is the great equalizer and in this case has as much integrity as the Navy's action.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So how does one get drafted when one has to go through an interview process? This is the part that's never made sense to me. These are not the days of Rickover, who would crush officer's careers if they didn't go along with them (happened to a family friend who was an O-4 SWO). If you're at an interview, and you express your disinterest in being part of the community, how does that not get documented and weighed in?

Pags

N/A
pilot
So how does one get drafted when one has to go through an interview process? This is the part that's never made sense to me. These are not the days of Rickover, who would crush officer's careers if they didn't go along with them (happened to a family friend who was an O-4 SWO). If you're at an interview, and you express your disinterest in being part of the community, how does that not get documented and weighed in?
I remember posts on here a few years ago saying the advice for that situation was to go, knock the interview out of the park like a pro, and then clearly state that your preference would be Aviation over Nuke but if necessary you'd serve to your best ability in line with the needs of the Navy. Essentially, show the Boss you're a mature professional who'd like to use your talents elsewhere.

That said, if there's a shooting naval war and you want in the fight subs will be the point end of that spear.