• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about competitiveness

jmh0462

Hello all. I'm looking into applying for BDCP and then eventually flight school, and am wondering how competitive I am.

I am an 18 year old high school senior at the Texas Acadamy of Math and Science (www.tams.unt.edu). Basically I left high school as a sophomore to start college at the University of North Texas. When i graduate in May, I will have accrued enough credits to be considered a Junior at UNT.
After grad, I'm going to finish my undergrad at UNT in Mechanical Engineering and Energy.

I currently have a 3.6, and this last semester I saw 4.0, which I think I can maintain (my first year at UNT I had trouble adjusting, and got low 3s).I've gotten a 2270 on my SAT, and I think I can do well on the ASTB. I am going to be applying for BDCP after this next semester (unless I can get my eyes LASEK'd in time to apply for Fall '09 BDCP).

I'm just wondering what my chances are for getting BDCP and flight school. Is BDCP even a good route to take to get to flight school?

Any other questions you have I can answer. Thanks in advance guys!

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I'm just wondering what my chances are for getting BDCP and flight school. Is BDCP even a good route to take to get to flight school?

While it's hard to really tell how competitive you are this early in the game, it's a good idea to read through this forum as much as you can. In my opinion, BDCP is the best route to flight school (but I may be biased :icon_tong). Your high school GPA doesn't come into play, but your SAT/ACT scores do. I'm not sure how good a 2270 is though, it was only out of 1600 when I took it.

If you stick with engineering and can get around a 3.5 for your first year, that should help your chances. And because you've got a lot of time, use it to your advantage. Buy an ASTB prep book or two (and print out all the gouge you find here) and start looking at them whenever you take a dump. When the time comes for a little more intense studying, you'll have a nice head start.

If BDCP is something you really want, just keep your eye on the prize and don't screw up too much in your freshman year.

Note:: I didn't realize you were going to be applying next semester. How exactly is that going to work if you're still a senior in high school? You must have one hell of a college credit program there. I guess they would have to use your high school GPA if that's the case, not sure.

jmh0462

The program takes us out of high school and into college. Basically assume I am an 18 year old college sophomore.

My current college GPA is what i was referring to (3.6).

I'm also wondering if, as an enlisted during BDCP, if there is anything that prevents the Navy from pulling me out of college and sticking me in basic training (in the event of something drastic).

red_ryder

None
It's competitive. You're competitive. Your chances are variable.

Basically, to answer your question, if you really want in, apply. You'd be surprised how far you can float on motivation alone in this community.

navy09

None
Seems there are some sub-3.0 guys that get picked up...

Sounds like you're well on your way. Keep up the good work and stay out of trouble.

jmh0462

Awesome! Thank you guys for all the help.
Got really interested in the Navy after my uncle's 30-year retirement ceremony.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't want to shiat on the BDCP program because it really is a pretty decent scam (in a good way), but you may also want to at least consider NROTC if you feel like you can accept the time commitment. I say this only because from what I saw, it was considerably more competitive at times to get SNA from BDCP than it was for us ROTC types. Not that you shouldn't be working your hardest regardless, but if you are simply concerned with finding the commissioning source that is most likely to get to a flight slot, I would personally put my money on NROTC or the Academy. That isn't hard science, or based on any foolproof statistical analysis, but from casual observation that is what I gleaned....take from it what you will. Maybe the BDCP guys can chime in here and say whether or not I am full of crap or not. But for comparison purposes, I selected with a 3.1 in Mech E., had solid ASTB and a good class ranking. Had I been BDCP, I'm honestly not sure if I would have gotten a slot, and it certainly would have been a bit more challenging to get the leadership experience that they look for if I hadn't been part of my NROTC unit. These are all personal observations and your mileage may vary, and of course remember that the "best" route for one person can be completely different than that for another for many different reasons.

jmh0462

If it will help, I should also mention that I am an Eagle Scout. I know that Eagle Scout Awards are prevalent for Academy selections. Will that still factor into BDCP? Also, there isnt NROTC at my school, unfortunately.

Lobster

It all comes down to what's going to be the best route for you to take. Personally I didn't get into the academy twice and didn't have a shot at getting into NROTC by just applying, plus none of the schools I was recruited for with hockey had NROTC. After two years of college my grades were good and I was looking for another path to commision and a pilot slot, found a BDCP flyer at school, started talking with a recruiter and here I am 3 months into it after swearing it. Personally I think its a sweet program and the Mids I know are jealous of the paycheck but at the same time they don't have to go through OCS, and they don't have to pay for tuition out of their pockets. There are advantages to both and there is a ton of gouge about both paths on this site, search around. Best of luck to you.

Lobster

If it will help, I should also mention that I am an Eagle Scout. I know that Eagle Scout Awards are prevalent for Academy selections. Will that still factor into BDCP? Also, there isnt NROTC at my school, unfortunately.

It helps, they all look at the total package, especially the boards for BDCP and straight OCS

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I'm also wondering if, as an enlisted during BDCP, if there is anything that prevents the Navy from pulling me out of college and sticking me in basic training (in the event of something drastic).

If you don't meet your end of the bargain (i.e. drop below a 2.7 semester GPA, fail the PRT), you owe the Navy 2 years as an enlisted sailor. The only chance of this happening is if you screw up, so it's not like they'll ship you off just because they feel like it. You're in a contract, and they will stick to it as long as you do.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
jmh...I'm also at UNT and applying for BDCP SNA in the January boards. I've already taken my ASTB and scored well, so if you want the study guides to look once over I can bring them to you sometime. Being from TAMS, you should have NO PROBLEM getting through the material and scoring well, especially in the math and mechanical sections. The only areas that you might not have expertise in are the aviation/nautical sections, so a decent private pilot's handbook or study guide will help with the aviation terms, plus the internet can teach you anything you desire. Being a math guy you might brush up on the reading sections as well; they're not too tricky, but sometimes they have more than one correct answer and you have to pick the "most correct" one, so it takes getting used to if you haven't done sample questions like that before. I've flown since childhood and scored a 66-9-9-9, so I can help with those sections if you want, and it's been 5 years since I was in aero engineering and I still did really good so you will probably do well too being immersed in it still. It truly all depends on how familiar you are with the types of questions they ask, and how good of a test taker you are.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime, and I'll gladly help you out anyway I can. I live north of Denton but drive through everyday for work and class, so it's no hassle to help a potential fellow sailor out and I'm glad to help out as others have helped me so far on here.

Next thing on your list should be to contact the NRD Dallas and get hooked up with an Officer Recruiter...Lt. XXXXXhas been a great help in the past to me, and his direct number is XXX-XXX-XXXext. XXX, or you can call tollfree at 866-628-7327 and someone will get you with a processor to start working an application packet and preparing you for the loads of fun heading your way in the near future.

jmh0462

I found the methods of acquiring anthropomorphic measurements, but nothing on the maximums for the different measurements. Can anyone help with this
?

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Thanks zab, I had PM'd him the numbers as I thought I "forgot" them in my post, and then when I realized my mistake and went back to delete them you had already caught it.

The anthros are posted on AW as well. Also, I previously found them online by googling it too.