• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question on Dual Citizenship

rjmayer

Hi, a little about myself first:

Junior, Purdue University Aerospace Engineering
3.47 GPA
ASTB scores 8/9/8
Private Pilot since 2006 (approx. 100 hrs)
I do wear contacts (seeking PRK soon)
Passed Physical at MEPS back in Oct. 2008

I want to enter OCS this summer as an NFO and then switch to Pilot post PRK next fall. My OSO told me this wouldn't be a problem and has been done a few times here at Purdue already. My problem is that I was born with dual citizenship between the United States and Brazil. I was born in Indiana, my father is an American citizen (from Illinois), but my mom was born in Brazil. She has since become a naturalized American citizen, but still retains her Brazilian citizenship also. I've started the process of renouncing my Brazilian citizenship, but it could take as long as 6 months. I'm hoping the selection board would let me go to OCS this summer, the paper work for renouncing should be done by June/July 2009. I won't commission until after my senior year sometime in the summer of 2010. No matter what I have to renounce my citizenship to receive security clearances in the future as an aerospace engineer (most likely higher clearances than most people in the military). I was wondering if anyone has had a similar situation or has any resources that might make this go faster. Thanks

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
There is a guy in my TBS company from Brazil. If you run into trouble I'm sure I could ask him a question for you since he's been through it. You should be fine though. Just do what you have to do.

rjmayer

My mom called me yesterday, turns out it's costing me $500 to get all this paperwork done. Thankfully her cousin is a lawyer in Brazil so I don't have to pay attorney fees. I thought you were supposed to earn money when you joined up, haha!