• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for you airline/military guys

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Im currently doing a crj course here at.........take a guess. I do flights in a crj sim that has everything but motion. Today's sim flight we used the quick donning masks and was wondering how close they were to military O2 masks (they are both pressure demand right??). I realize the wearing differences but wondering about the feel/breathing differences.

I would like this to get 10 posts before it turns into a erau bashing thread....;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
Im currently doing a crj course here at.........take a guess. I do flights in a crj sim that has everything but motion. Today's sim flight we used the quick donning masks and was wondering how close they were to military O2 masks (they are both pressure demand right??). I realize the wearing differences but wondering about the feel/breathing differences.

I would like this to get 10 posts before it turns into a erau bashing thread....;)
I can't speak for other TACAIR platforms, but the system on the Prowler has a simple ON/OFF toggle and is a demand system. There's no positive pressure under G-loading or anything. I've used positive pressure systems and they can take a little getting used to at first, especially while talking, but it's no big deal.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:

O.K. ... let's get it over with ... quickly. We all hate ERAU ... mostly because you don't capitalize it. :icon_smil (kidding, of course ... :eek: )

Civilian masks --- I don't know your type --- I'm sure they are similar --- are a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS ... the military variants are much more comfortable, at least in fast movers ... especially for the long haul. 747/200: we had diluter demand ("normal" setting) and 100% positive pressure. 100% oxygen ... works great with a .... cold. ;)

Civilian masks were designed to get you down below 10,000 feet ... then get rid of them. A fire/smoke in the cockpit??? You know the rest of the story. Bad day ....

nugget81

pilot
Doesn't riddle have an altitude chamber? Tell ya what, come on up to UND and we'll let you use ours....

And just to add to the thread...does your sim use the EROS style quick-don masks that the CRJ actually uses? They're really kinda neat and even comfortable. You simply press the button on the side and the harness inflates. Put it over your head, release the button and now the mask is sealed tight. (See http://www.intertechnique-air.com/us/competences/oxygene/erosmasque.htm for info) It will be pressure demand if you place it in the "emergency" setting, otherwise it stays diluter demand.

As for pressure breathing...talking is very difficult. Don't expect to be able to speak on the radio during this time. Also, you have to force yourself to exhale. It's rather unusual the first time you do it.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Yeah nugget, it is the eros style mask. Everything worked like the real deal. It was pretty neat.