• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for nukes

Superclub

pilot
I've been told by various people that after you finish the full Nuclear pipeline you are very close to a college degree, something like missing five credits or something. I am wondering if this is accurate or a load of Bulls*it, and if it is true how do you get the credits?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
It really depends on what credits a particular school will take. I met a prior enlisted nuke who thought he should be able to get a degree in 1.5 years after nuke school, but it still took him 3.

On the Officer side, Old Dominion University will give you 12 credits towards any masters in engineering (equates to 40% done) for finishing Nuclear power school.

Sub King

I'm sorry to say but it a load of bull$%^&. I'm an x-nuke mechanic who served on the USS Scranton and got picked up STA-21 and now SNA after I graduate this summer. I thought that my nuke pipeline schooling might earn me some credits when I originally entered USC, but to no avail. When I started my Eng. degree I started out with a whopping zero credit hours. However, this is not to say that you might not be given credit any where else though. I'm sure that there might be a few technical colleges and vocational schools that might give you some credit, but i'm farely sure that if its an accredited University then they probably won't give you credit at all. Hope that helps and best of luck!

2NFO's

I was a prior enlisted nuke, too and the U of A (Arizona) gave me around 50 credit hours for just my enlisted work. I got everything from science credits to humantities credits. It cut down on my work load significantly...I started college as a sophomore and just needed a few credits to be a junior which I was able to get in one summer school session. I shopped around each one of the departments and asked them how many credits they would give me for the stuff listed on my SMART transcript. If I didn't like their answer, I moved on. The degree program that you are asking about is through Thomas Edison University. I know some of the guys that I was in school with were able to do only a few general education classes, some English classes and three classes in their specific degree field (most did Nuclear something). They do charge you money to transfer in your classes, so you are essentially buying your degree, but it won't say that on your diploma so who cares?

boobcheese

I had about a year and a half of college before nuke school and had a fair amount of my core classes out of the way. Prior to getting picked up for STA21 I looked into Thomas Edison University and I only needed three additional correspondance courses to get a 4yr degree in "Nuclear Engineering Technology". I seriously doubt if this degree carries much weight with anyone in the civilian sector but it would be the necessary check in the box to apply for OCS. If you are a standout sailor this might be a quicker path to a commission than STA21 if that's what you're after.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
You must be referring to the enlisted nuclear pipeline. Thomas Ediston State College does offer a "send in your box tops" degree (an AA). If you CLEP a few classes or complete the gen. ed. requirements on your own, they'll make it a BA in Applied Nuclear Technology. It's a degree, allright, and it covers you if the basic requirement for something simply says "bachellor's degree required". It will make you competitive for nothing.
Now, certain schools recognize nuclear power training differently. I received 45 credits towards my Bachellor of Engineering Degree in Mechanical Engineering at New York Maritime. I'll finish my BE within 30 months of starting here.

Sub King

Damn.......I guess I should have gone to U of A or New York Maritime then. I think I got ripped off for credits. Sorry for the bad gouge then bud. Hey 2NFO's, do you know an OC there named Adam Patterson?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not the degree you get from transferring credits from the nuke power pipeline that will make you competivie. It's the actual training you got while in the pipeline that will make you competetive. Just having graduated from the program will carry some weight on your resume. Those that have been through it know that few college "kids" would have the discipline to make it through the program. If you happen to get a few college credits for your experience...great. If you don't, then no big deal either. What you've accomplished is much greater than what a few credits are going to be worth to you. Think about it, most folks can't even visualize what a reactor looks like, let alone tell you how it works, why it works the way it does, or what it's design characteristics are.

Also, while the experience may or may not transfer into college credits (depending on where you attend), you should most definitely use it to your advantage. For example, let's say you are an electrical engineering major in school and you were a nuke electrician (this is the Chosen rate btw :D ). For your EE courses, there is most likely going to be one or two prereq courses that must be met before you can take upper division courses. Let's say that you need some Circuit Analysis course as a prereq for others. Also, before you can take the Circuit Analysis course, you have to have taken both semesters of calc based physics. Any nuke ET or EM knows they're not going to need to take both semesters of some physics course before they'll understand a beginning Circuit Analysis course. So, you go to the person who has the authority to override the prereq requirements (every dept has at least one) and you explain to them who you are, where you've been, and what you know.

So, while you may not necessarily get a lot of college credits for all your hard work in the nuke pipeline, USE what you ALREADY know to work for you while you're in college. You'll still have to satisfy the formal course requirements for your degree. You just may be able to do it in a little more untraditional timeline than the "civilians" have to.

By the way, the same principle works for all the rates in the nuke world. Use the knowledge you have in stuff like thermodynamics and chemistry to take only one advanced chemistry course instead of the two. Don't waste your time with intro stuff you already know.

2NFO's

kingeryc said:
Damn.......I guess I should have gone to U of A or New York Maritime then. I think I got ripped off for credits. Sorry for the bad gouge then bud. Hey 2NFO's, do you know an OC there named Adam Patterson?

No I graduated in May 04.

Just another note on getting a degree fast. If you are just trying to be an officer and don't have your heart set on getting a certain degree then shop around. Every college offers different transfer credits. I looked at Texas and couldn't get more than college Algebra credit. At Arizona the engineering college will not give you any credits towards your degree, but will give you units to allow you to register for classes ahead of the freshmen. My suggestion is truly to shop around. Call some ROTC units and they can let you talk to prior nukes at their units that can give you the gouge on getting the most out of each school.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
It's interesting that RPI, with their reputation and ability to graduate engineers in 2.5 years, are not an option for Nukes going through the STA21 nuclear option.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
It's interesting that RPI, with their reputation and ability to graduate engineers in 2.5 years, are not an option for Nukes going through the STA21 nuclear option.
YHGTBSM! RPI has a great reputation as an engineering school. I wonder what the deal is with that issue.

Side note: I've been to RPI. Considered going there when I was looking at colleges while I was in BOOST. No thanks. There are other places I'd rather spend 3-4 years of my life.

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
I have a question for you prior nukes on here. I went through the whole pipeline, did the staff pickup thing in Charleston and the went to the academy. They made me give up my GI bill benefits and did not reimburse me the $1200 that I plunked into it when I was a lowly E-4. Did this happen to anyone else or did they just bone the academy kids?