• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question for helo pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor2216

How does a helo pilot deal with the dust and sand being kicked up as they make a landing, especially at night? Are the engines designed to filter the dirt or does everything and anything get pulled in? Also, does the pilot have to constantly counter the torque effect of the rotor with rudder?

Does a CH-46 have couter rotating rotors and how is yaw controlled in that aircraft? And say if one of the rotors happens to quit in flight, would it the pilot still be able to land it?

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
In most Helos the engines can ingest a certain amount of stuff before it craps out. There are F.O.D screens on most engines to keep large objects from being ingested, because the worst thing you can do is F.O.D your engine.
The best way to minimize the amount of crap kicked up during a landing is to perform a no-hover landing. When you come into a hover before you land you have to increase power, and it causes a greater downwash. Therefore more stuff is blown around thus reducing your visibility and inreasing the chance of ingestion.
Yes, you do have to counter act the torque of the main rotor with your rudder pedals. The more power you pull in, the more pedal you have to put in to compensate. If your helo has a good flight control system this will usually be done automatically.
The rotors on the 46 are counter-rotating, they both cancel each other out. I've been told by my buddies that fly them that if one engine quits in flight both rotors will still be powered. If not I guess you could always auto.

s/f
Q

Marine Helo Pilot

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No-hovers with a slight amount of fwd a/s. Sometimes you'll see 10' tracks behind helos landing in the desert. Have to be careful, though. Hit a rut or a rock, and you can break a wheel off.

Find a rock or bush inside the rotor arc and use that for reference.

Phrogs phorever

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Hartley,
There is only one Q, and I am the one. How are things in 18? Are you done yet?

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

thartley

Q, I am finally winged! I am heading to Pendelton on Wednesday for Huey training. I forget what you got and where you are. I will heading to New River in the Spring so hopefully I will see you around. My emal address is thartley@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.