• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question for Grouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goliath112

Hey man I read you posts and heard about your hearing loss waiver. Can you tell me a little about the process? My brother had some hearing loss from shooting (out in the desert) and he wanted to know how and if you can get waivers for it. thanks man

man the wait is killing me

grouch

Sure Goliath. First he needs to go to MEPS and see if they will recommend a wavier. In my case they laughed at me. Then he needs to find a good audiologist and take a speech recognition test at 40db. The test is a list of 50 words that is played from a casset. Just repeat what you hear. They will do this in both ears. The words are very similar with a heavy emphasis on the S' and the TH sounds, like face and faith. I scored a 100 on it. Then the test results go back to MEPS to get the sign off Dr. to change the physical to recommended wavier status. Thats it. When my packet went to Billington I got the wavier the first day! My speech recognition test cost $80 bucks and that was a fair price to pay to get me back in the ballgame. The big question now is will I be able to fly or not. A friend of mine in API has a bunch of flight surgeons in his class and they said it isn't a big deal. So I am pumped about that. One interesting note, I found out about the speech test about a month and a half after I failed MEPS. My recruiter was on some VIP trip and another recruiter told him about it. Weird huh? Best of luck to him and keep me posted.

The wait is killing me as well.

Goliath112

thanks for the info man. He is gonna go and check with an audiologist.I think that he already had one done for his 1st class med certifcate.

man the wait is killing me

Status
Not open for further replies.