• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question about supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish

Ok...I didn't go down and read every single posts...they were just too lengthy! I'm sure most people will agree that you CAN'T spot train fat. I'm sure you see that fat old man at the gym just bustin' out those situps...well good for him, hmm....he's still fat though. close to 80% of your appearance (maybe I'm stretching this) is from your diet (what you eat...not talking about Atkins or whatever) it is true...Calories in vs Calories out. Cutting carbs works in some instances...but it isn't exactly healthy to cut out completely as they are fuel for your body. DRINK MORE WATER! TAKE A COLON CLEANSER! A lot of men die from Colon Cancer...if you have never taken a colon cleanser (pills or whatever) now is a good time to start. I think it takes 4-6 weeks to run its course. You will crap a whole lot...but it detoxifies your system. You might be carrying an extra load just there. I lost some weight after I did one. A good rule is to run or do any cardio for at least 45 min. anything less than that (if fat burning is your goal) is pretty much a waste of time. Slow it down to whatever is needed to complete the 45 min. do that everyday along with eating right and maintain a weight training program (whole other discussion) ....you should peel off the weight.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tish said:
TAKE A COLON CLEANSER! A lot of men die from Colon Cancer...if you have never taken a colon cleanser (pills or whatever) now is a good time to start. I think it takes 4-6 weeks to run its course. You will crap a whole lot...but it detoxifies your system. You might be carrying an extra load just there. I lost some weight after I did one.

and THAT, ladies and gentlemen is how to make an impression in just 10 posts...

Welcome to AirWarriors...the restroom is out of order...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Tish said:
Ok...TAKE A COLON CLEANSER!

tx-brkhaven.jpg
logo.jpg
txking.jpg

What IS it about these Texas girls ... ??? :cowboy_12

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve: that was possibly the smoothest way to raise the bullsh-t flag I've seen in a long while. BZ

texasmid: fact check before posting... you're making UT look bad

texasmid

pilot
OK i'll pass the word on to the flight surgeon who i met with for an hour two fridays ago. where should i do my "fact checking" if not with him?

i went in specifically to ask what supplements are off limits. the way he explained it was that there used to be just "food" or "drugs," but now there is a third category "supplements." the supplements aren't really governed by the FDA or anything, so it is pretty much up to the honor of EAS or whoever to be honest on the nutrition facts label. because of this, NOMI or NAMRL or whoever decides this stuff for aviators said that they are all off limits. vitamins, creatine, myoplex, etc.

he then said that he wouldnt advise someone not to take vitamins, but rather that you should just use common sense. we then went through, supplement by supplement, and talked about if it was a strictly off limits or just a common sense thing. obviously you probably wouldnt get in trouble for vitamins, and he said that even myoplex or protein powder might be ok as long as you were trusting enough in the company that you are eating what they say you are. creatine, amino acids, or herbal supplements were definitely off limits.

after all of that he reiterated that technically we are not allowed to take anything.

is that enough facts for you...?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Show me the reference. Go ahead and pass the word on to the flight surgeon. If supplements were so off limits, believe me, the topic would be in message traffic daily. When you go back to this flight surgeion, GET THE REFERENCE.

So what is defined as a supplement? Vitamins? Not according to you, because it's not convenient to your definition of what's not allowed.

Creatine is a naturally ocurring substance in the body. How can that be off limits? Amino acids the same. According to your def, I should stop eating egg whites. Those things are chock full of amino acids you know. Herbal supplements....well, there goes my green tea.

Again, I "reitertate," show me (us) the reference.

texasmid

pilot
give me a couple days... i'll see what i can find. and its not my definition, its the doc's. i just repeated what he told me.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
texasmid said:
its not my definition
Thats's kind of a convenient out, don't you think, considering your initial post on the matter, shown below
texasmid said:
by the way, all nutritional supplements are technically off-limits to pilots.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FAA Policy:
The FAA does not restrict or require reporting the use of "nutritional supplements", vitamins, minerals or OTC performance enhancers by pilots.
There is a LOT of bad information floating around out there about supplements , and the flight surgeon and texasmid may have got their frequencies crossed.

The military ? The Navy and Marines have banned the sale in base exchanges of dietary supplements which contain ephedrine alkaloids, also known as ephedra. And that's too bad, because in nearly every case, the bad results usually were preceeded by overdosing, a poor training regimen, or generally not following directions. One cannot engineer stupidity out of a product's use.

The FDA is usually the final authority on the content of vitamins and supplements, and because the FDA considers these products food additives or nutritional supplements and not medications, their use is not prohibited by the FAA. There is no reporting requirement on the FAA Airman's Medical Application, so why would the Navy prohibit them, hmmmmm ??
arte.jpg

texasmid

pilot
a convenient out? im not trying to back out of anything. it is fair to assume that the flight surgeon knows what he is talking about, so if he said it there is a good chance it is true. therefore i made the original statement as fact. i personally have no problem with someone taking supplements, it is the flight surgeon who said it was not allowed. if i know something that others dont, im going to mention it so maybe i can help somebody stay out of unnecessary trouble. if you want to laugh at it then thats cool too, but so much for looking out for other people.

http://www.nps.navy.mil/avsafety/
The Naval School of Aviation Safety in Pensacola, FL
"Nutritional Supplement Guide" about halfway down on the left

to summarize:
sports drinks, protein shakes, protein bars, vitamins, and minerals are all allowed, but they shall be discussed and documented on your annual flight physical.
dietary or nutritional supplements are not authorized if they contain: [long list of herbal supplements], anabolic steroids, creatine, amino acid supplements, or any supplement not listed in the policy

if thats not good enough for you then i dont really care what you take. and you're welcome for the heads up.

texasmid

pilot
maybe he meant to say that vitamins and protein shakes were not recommended, but that they were ok. the way he put it was that they were not allowed technically, but common sense says that you can take them.

either way sounds very very similar. a lot better than:
"Creatine is a naturally ocurring substance in the body. How can that be off limits? Amino acids the same. According to your def, I should stop eating egg whites. Those things are chock full of amino acids you know. Herbal supplements....well, there goes my green tea."

maybe you also should do some fact checking before you start trashing someone who is trying to help.

and its spelled "occurring."

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tex,

I'm gonna (sp?) ask you one more time what the reference is. If you can't come up with a Navy or DoD ref, then you need to stop with the hogwash. What you sited is nice, but it's not a reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.