• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question About Prior Drug Use (Unique Case)

Been lurking here a while and finally have a question that I am unable to find any advice on. Feel free to point me in the right direction if my specific case has come up before. I am currently in the early stages of applying to OCS for a SNA billet. I'm taking the ASTB next week and then will be going from there. My recruiter asked me if I have ever done drugs and I stated no at the time just because I was unsure whether or not to disclose but obviously it's not too late to confess.

The story is that in high school and first semester of college I tried marijuana a few times. I quit by the end of first semester because I no longer found enjoyment and knew I one day wanted to work in the government (defense specifically). My last time using was in fall 2016. I graduated college in 2020 and am a current DoN civilian employee with a Secret security clearance. When going through the clearance process I listed my marijuana use all those years ago, and it didn't seem to matter since I got the clearance and did not get interrogated about it at all.

Now that I am applying to OCS my question is whether to go about getting the drug waiver or ignoring my past. My recruiter told me that I will still have to fill out the SF-86 even though I have a clearance and that once I submit it, it will just be like "oh you already have a completed investigation with the Navy" and that will be the end of it. I guess my question is what is the best option here?

1. Fill out my SF-86 identical to my last one and also get the drug waiver.
  2. Fill out my SF-86 identical to my last one and ignore the waiver, hoping they don't put two and two together.
  3. Something else.

I'm definitely thinking I should disclose it an hope for the best but I guess I just want some outside opinion. It's always been a dream of mine to fly for the Navy and I feel that I will be strong candidate as long as I do well on the ASTB (Aerospace Engineering Major, high GPA, good references, etc.). I am afraid that having the waiver will label me as an instant NO in the eyes of the board (from some other posts I have some across). What do you guys think the best path forward is?

exNavyOffRec

first thing is not all things are equal, clearance as a civilian, clearance as military, and entrance into the USN.

second, you better get as close to the past SF 86 as possible I can't say whether they will or will not be compared but why take the chance and why have something like that hanging over you for years to come.

first thing is not all things are equal, clearance as a civilian, clearance as military, and entrance into the USN.

second, you better get as close to the past SF 86 as possible I can't say whether they will or will not be compared but why take the chance and why have something like that hanging over you for years to come.

Makes sense, it doesn't seem worth the endless stress and anxiety. I guess my question is more does this guarantee a no or is experimental marijuana usually looked past.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gotta concur with the crowd. You'll be submitting an SF-86 every 5 years in most cases, and any inconsistencies in your security paperwork is going to be a red flag. Be honest and you should be good to go.

Larick

None
Contributor
Your last time used was Fall 2016. Was this the estimated date of last known use you listed on your first SF-86? If so, you still fall under the 7 year window, based off the SF-86 question, therefore you need to match it. Your investigator will look at previous investigations to look for any major differences and will bring it up to you if they find any.

BDavis11

Contributor
Also my 1 cent. I had a possession charge 3 years before joining the navy. Barely got in the navy. However, I got youthful offender status and needless to say it doesn't show up. The only people to come across it was the US Marshals when I had a internship with them. However, I listed it to get in the navy, and listed it on my OCS app (didn't require a waiver) because it screwed me out the internship after I was selected. I read the question wrong and had ignorant to when i had to list it vs not listing it. Don't want to take that chance again. One of my interviews write up is commending me for disclosing that and owning it even though at this point it is over 10 years ago. Navy's Core Values: HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITTMENT my friend.

Your last time used was Fall 2016. Was this the estimated date of last known use you listed on your first SF-86? If so, you still fall under the 7 year window, based off the SF-86 question, therefore you need to match it. Your investigator will look at previous investigations to look for any major differences and will bring it up to you if they find any.
My questions is more so do I tell my recruiter about it and go about getting the waiver or not (or is this something that doesn't even require a waiver). I already plan to disclose it on my SF-86

BDavis11

Contributor
I mean I would just disclose it on the sf-86 and leave it alone other than that because u don’t have any legal issues with it. But that’s my personal outlook. If I didn’t get in any trouble with it I would never have listed it on anything

LawDawg740

Truthfulness.

I, too, did dumb shit in undergrad. I, too, have had to submit two SF-86s. One for the Army a number of years ago, and one recently for the Navy. I don't know that mine matched up in terms of disclosure. But, I do know that I was entirely forthright in the one I recently submitted for the Navy and haven't faced any hiccups (I commissioned, so I reckon' that is good indication).

tl;dr: Disclose your shit, man. It is 2021- mostly everyone has done something at some point. Our agencies, CoCs, etc are aware. Disclose and explain. Don't withhold and justify.

RoarkJr.

I disclosed my prior service drug use and still made it through MECEP, though one of the Sergeants Major of the board wrote on my package “strong candidate, prior service drug use NOTED.” If I recall correctly I was only recommended with confidence but picked up on my first board. YMMV

Sonog

pilot
Why don't they ask "how many times have you driven drunk?" or "how many times have you betrayed someone who trusted you?" Both seem like they would be more relevant questions that are just as difficult to verify.