• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Question about medical waiver

Leon Chen

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading this post. I have another question about my NAVY Engineering Duty Officer application. Recently, I went to MEPS for physical examination. According to my hearing test result, I got 60 in 4000 Hz frequency for my LEFT side ear for the first test. Second time, I got 60 in 4000 hz frequency for my RIGHT side ear. During both test, the officer (or physician?) put my right under the air conditioner which I can hear the air flow much better than the beep tone. Chief doctor said I am H3 type hearing loss which disqualified me for any branches.

*It was heart breaking moment when I was told "DISQUALIFIED".

I would like to find out my chance to get a NAVY medical waiver for this application. I do understand warrior need a good hearing to perform war related tasks. But as an Engineer officer applicant, is it possible I can have a medical waiver?

Me:

Major: Mechanical Engineer

OAR: 65

GPA: 3.88

Thanks you so much guys!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Hearing loss in new accessions is NOT eligible for a waiver in the Navy. The Navy standards are included in the Aeromedical Waiver Guide section on hearing loss (http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/06_ENT.pdf). Scroll through the hearing loss section until you hit the Surgeon General's letter on hearing loss in new accessions.

My recommendation to you would be to have a dedicated audiology/ENT evaluation. That's a ton of hearing loss if it is accurate, especially for someone so young. You'll probably have to pay for it on your own, but you need to know if that degree of hearing loss is real before you go any further.

R/

Leon Chen

Hearing loss in new accessions is NOT eligible for a waiver in the Navy. The Navy standards are included in the Aeromedical Waiver Guide section on hearing loss (http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/06_ENT.pdf). Scroll through the hearing loss section until you hit the Surgeon General's letter on hearing loss in new accessions.

My recommendation to you would be to have a dedicated audiology/ENT evaluation. That's a ton of hearing loss if it is accurate, especially for someone so young. You'll probably have to pay for it on your own, but you need to know if that degree of hearing loss is real before you go any further.

R/

Thank you for the response. I just have a question. Is NAMI applicable for all applicants? Because my job application is nothing related to the flight. I thought Engineering Duty Officer is mainly working at ship design/maintenance etc.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the response. I just have a question. Is NAMI applicable for all applicants? Because my job application is nothing related to the flight. I thought Engineering Duty Officer is mainly working at ship design/maintenance etc.

MEPS doesn't have final say on officers N3M or for flight part NAMI does, so if your recruiter sent your info to N3M and they have said no then not much you can do, if he hasn't, then he should but if TB says that level is DQ then it is.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've seen countless times MEPS said No but N3M say YES. MEPS has different standards than Navy Officer. So have your OR upload the MEPS documents and allow N3M to make the determination.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
OP,
The Aeromedical Waiver Guide is geared toward aviation, but the SG's letter in the ENT section applies to all Navy applicants, regardless of field. Just happens that a copy of that letter is easily accessible in the waiver guide and I knew where to find it.

The Navy and VA spend a ton of dough every year on disability payments to compensate noise-induced hearing loss in people who came into the Navy with normal hearing. Taking an applicant, like you, whose level of hearing loss (if confirmed) on the day he raises his hand guarantees disability compensation isn't good business.

R/

Leon Chen

MEPS doesn't have final say on officers N3M or for flight part NAMI does, so if your recruiter sent your info to N3M and they have said no then not much you can do, if he hasn't, then he should but if TB says that level is DQ then it is.

Thanks so much Sir @NavyOffRec . I only got DQ from MEPS so far. I did talk to my recruiter after the MEPS. He told me that if that is the case, I will be DQ for all branches. Now, I know I need to send my case to N3M. But, is there anything I need to do before sending those documents to N3M?

Leon Chen

I've seen countless times MEPS said No but N3M say YES. MEPS has different standards than Navy Officer. So have your OR upload the MEPS documents and allow N3M to make the determination.
That's a great new!!! Thank you so much Sir. Will N3M consider the whole person concept or just medical standard and demand ?

Leon Chen

OP,
The Aeromedical Waiver Guide is geared toward aviation, but the SG's letter in the ENT section applies to all Navy applicants, regardless of field. Just happens that a copy of that letter is easily accessible in the waiver guide and I knew where to find it.

The Navy and VA spend a ton of dough every year on disability payments to compensate noise-induced hearing loss in people who came into the Navy with normal hearing. Taking an applicant, like you, whose level of hearing loss (if confirmed) on the day he raises his hand guarantees disability compensation isn't good business.

R/

It is totally understandable. But I will still try it. It is my dream to be part of the military. Thank you for your response!

Leon Chen

yes, but only to make sure NAMI or undersea medicine doesn't need to be involved, they don't care if you are the one special guy they looked all year for or not.
Copy that. Thank you for these great information! I could never have found it out elsewhere.