• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about lateral from SWO to SEAL and age limits.

MobyThicc

Sealswcc.com has a forum for this.

Were those scores on your own or during a proctored pst?

Pretty standard question during the board is ‘would you go enlisted if you didn’t get picked up as an O’. So you might want to reconsider your stance.

Thank you for the info sir! I am not completely opposed to enlisted, but my biggest concern is if I go enlisted and I end up getting injured at BUD/S and get classed as an undes seaman. Which to me sounds like the worst possible fate. I would never DOR, but injury should be a legitimate concern. Ending up as an undes seaman with a bachelors degree after wanting nothing other than SEAL sounds like the worst possible fate. I've done my lower enlisted work time, and don't want to go through that again.

AULANI

There's a couple of Team guys here that lurk from time to time, although I think one of them is at OCS right now (@froggystyle). I haven't seen @Stearmann4 here in forever.

froggystyle graduated a few classes before I did. @MobyThicc your PST scores are similar to what some regular people (non-SPECWAR) at OCS were putting up. The SEALs I saw at OCS were all completing the run at around 8:15 and they were Chiefs and E-6s. Good luck with your application, whichever route you go.

Last edited:

MobyThicc

froggystyle graduated a few classes before I did. @MobyThicc your PST scores are similar to what some regular people (non-SPECWAR) at OCS were putting up. The SEALs I saw at OCS were all completing the run at around 8:15 and they were Chiefs and E-6s. Good luck with your application, whichever route you go.

Thank you. I know those times aren't super great, but it seems that I have a whole lot of time to get them down. I'll go with either EOD or SEAL, im gonna talk to my recruiter tomorrow to explore those options more.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Thank you for the reply. I haven't done any of that. Although i've expressed that I really only want SEAL, my recruiter hasn't really brought up any sort of programs or chances to speak with SEAL's. Im researching that on my own, but so far it seems my best bet is with online communities. So far, Reddit.
Have you tried SOCNET? Numerous current and former Team guys over there. Word of advice: follow the rules of the site and tread lightly when posting. Do your research and leg work before asking. They see a lack of research and leg work as a lack of motivation for becoming a SEAL, and I would tend to agree.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Do you like 4 mile timed runs in boots when you're dead sore and tired? Do you like swimming miles in the ocean for fun? Do you like running miles and miles and miles and miles for fun? Great physique and strength, but Navy SPECWAR is a bit over the top insane when it comes to the running and swimming and I just hope you are ready. They regularly phase out tons of prime high school athlete graduates in peak and perfect physical condition. I assume you know what's required for the Army Special Forces and Rangers really well, so you have an idea of what to expect. With that said, Green Berets, Rangers, PJs, CCT, TACP, MARSOC are all options too. Consider things carefully and go with what plays to your strengths and interests.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Do you like 4 mile timed runs in boots when you're dead sore and tired? Do you like swimming miles in the ocean for fun? Do you like running miles and miles and miles and miles for fun? Great physique and strength, but Navy SPECWAR is a bit over the top insane when it comes to the running and swimming and I just hope you are ready. They regularly phase out tons of prime high school athlete graduates in peak and perfect physical condition. I assume you know what's required for the Army Special Forces and Rangers really well, so you have an idea of what to expect. With that said, Green Berets, Rangers, PJs, CCT, TACP, MARSOC are all options too. Consider things carefully and go with what plays to your strengths and interests.

TACP? Badass. From now on I’ll introduce myself as an operator.

brownshoe

Contributor
Have you tried SOCNET? Numerous current and former Team guys over there. Word of advice: follow the rules of the site and tread lightly when posting. Do your research and leg work before asking. They see a lack of research and leg work as a lack of motivation for becoming a SEAL, and I would tend to agree.

SOCNET is fantastic! The real deal. They helped me to out a SEAL poser in my work community.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
SOCNET is fantastic! The real deal. They helped me to out a SEAL poser in my work community.

I second this. They're a great bunch of dudes, just a bit curmudgeonly. As for communities:

1) If you want to be EOD or SEAL, talk to an officer recruiter now in order to get contacts with the SEAL and EOD mentor groups. SPECWAR and EOD both like to groom the guys who they bring into the community and it is not unheard of to interview with senior SEAL and EOD officers and PT with them so they get a feel for you and whether they think you're a good fit or not.

2) As others have said, the best way into these communities is as a Blue Shirt. Their OCS selections are largely made up of enlisted SEALs and EOD techs. While I was at OCS, of the 3 dudes going SEAL in the 4 classes there at the time, only 1 was non-prior-enlisted SEAL. Of the 2 dudes going EOD, both were prior-enlisted EOD techs. Also, those EOD guys represented the only 2 OCS accessions for the EOD officer community that year.

3) If you truly have your heart set on being a SEAL and you eat, breathe, sleep, and dream about NOTHING other than being a SEAL then I would tell your recruiter this, and ask to speak to an enlisted recruiter. The SEALs have special enlistment programs available (or at least did) and really take mentoring people into the community seriously. If you do this, becoming a SEAL must be your entire existence. I've had the great honor of leading many Sailors who washed out of BUD/S because they got too cold, too tired, too hungry, too sore, too uncomfortable, etc. Just about every Deck division on every ship has a couple of these guys. The odds are daunting and the dudes that make it through BUD/S are those that want, hope, and believe in nothing other than being a SEAL, so much that they're willing to suffer anything in order to finish BUD/S. If after you become a SEAL, and you want to go to OCS, you will more than likely have the opportunity. The SPECWAR and SEC OPS communities have an affinity for commissioning their boys from within due to the high attrition rate of their training pipeline.

http://www.socnet.com/

exNavyOffRec

I second this. They're a great bunch of dudes, just a bit curmudgeonly. As for communities:

1) If you want to be EOD or SEAL, talk to an officer recruiter now in order to get contacts with the SEAL and EOD mentor groups. SPECWAR and EOD both like to groom the guys who they bring into the community and it is not unheard of to interview with senior SEAL and EOD officers and PT with them so they get a feel for you and whether they think you're a good fit or not.

2) As others have said, the best way into these communities is as a Blue Shirt. Their OCS selections are largely made up of enlisted SEALs and EOD techs. While I was at OCS, of the 3 dudes going SEAL in the 4 classes there at the time, only 1 was non-prior-enlisted SEAL. Of the 2 dudes going EOD, both were prior-enlisted EOD techs. Also, those EOD guys represented the only 2 OCS accessions for the EOD officer community that year.

3) If you truly have your heart set on being a SEAL and you eat, breathe, sleep, and dream about NOTHING other than being a SEAL then I would tell your recruiter this, and ask to speak to an enlisted recruiter. The SEALs have special enlistment programs available (or at least did) and really take mentoring people into the community seriously. If you do this, becoming a SEAL must be your entire existence. I've had the great honor of leading many Sailors who washed out of BUD/S because they got too cold, too tired, too hungry, too sore, too uncomfortable, etc. Just about every Deck division on every ship has a couple of these guys. The odds are daunting and the dudes that make it through BUD/S are those that want, hope, and believe in nothing other than being a SEAL, so much that they're willing to suffer anything in order to finish BUD/S. If after you become a SEAL, and you want to go to OCS, you will more than likely have the opportunity. The SPECWAR and SEC OPS communities have an affinity for commissioning their boys from within due to the high attrition rate of their training pipeline.

http://www.socnet.com/

The first SEAL application I worked on the candidate went to CA to do an interview with a SEAL Captain, the interview was conducted first thing in the morning, in PT gear, while running in the sand on the beach, he got in.

The BUD/S graduation I attended had me notice several things, one being that many of the officers had a certain medal, a good conduct medal for their enlisted service.

SharkBait

If you are willing to go SWO so you can collect a paycheck until you can lateral transfer I can tell you with almost 100% certainty if you go that route, that you will never be a SEAL. The lateral transfer into SEAL has very low numbers(this is on NPC's website/UNCLAS) and at that point you would have to ask yourself, why would they want a SWO LTJG/LT with no operating experience to lead teams or operations? The guys I know who made it through BUDS and really wanted to be a SEAL and only a SEAL would be living out of their car if they had to or on the streets to get a chance. Ask about the local SPECOPS recruiter/motivator and see if you can get into a mud pups program or something.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The first SEAL application I worked on the candidate went to CA to do an interview with a SEAL Captain, the interview was conducted first thing in the morning, in PT gear, while running in the sand on the beach, he got in.

The guys I know who made it through BUDS and really wanted to be a SEAL and only a SEAL would be living out of their car if they had to or on the streets to get a chance. Ask about the local SPECOPS recruiter/motivator and see if you can get into a mud pups program or something.

These. Your every action has to show that you want this.