• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about IFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaerose

For those of you who have underwent IFS through the Navy, do you know how many flight hours are allowed for a student before they skip IFS? I mean, I wanted to get some experience here prior to leaving, but I also want to do IFS...any ideas?

Also, what did you think of IFS? Would you recommend getting my introductory experience through IFS and having it paid for, or doing it prior to OCS and such? Do you appreciate the 'time off' during IFS? Does IFS count towards your stash time, or is it IFS, then stash? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks a ton!

JR

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
i'm doing IFS now and I think it's great. There's a lot of time off and it goes towards your stash time. You learn at a civilian airport (and you get to wear civies) so I'm sure it's the same instruction you would get anywhere else... except a little more fast paced. You have to solo by 15 hours or 36 days and you need 1 cross country flight, 2 hours of solo flight and 25 total hours. You also get 25 hours of ground instruction. I don't think you need to take lessons before OCS unless you are really unsure about your aeronautical adaptability. Take a lesson or two to see if it's something you really wanna do, if you want to make sure.

jaerose

Thanks for the reply. Do you have other duties while in IFS, or is that it? Do you have to go shuffle papers in between flight lessons? How long total does IFS take? Thanks again.

JR

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
no other duties.. just phone muster at 7:30 on weekdays.. and a weekly "muster" at the O'Club on Fridays at 1600. IFS must be finished within 60 days. I'd say between 30 to 60 days is average.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
IFS is awesome its a good experience and you'll find out if flying is what you want...if you're uneasy or puking in a small cessna you'll find out quickly that naval aviation isnt for you (the navy will find out too). its also good time off and really laid back (depending on where you do it). And its paid for!

Kevincjr1

I feel really slow asking this, but what is IFS? in detail what does it stand for and what is it? And also do you still get your officer pay while you are doing it? Thanks in advance

Kevin

jaerose

It's Introductory Flight Screening for people with no flight experience prior to API. Yes, you get paid while doing it.

JR

jthomps1

Does IFS have to be completed in Pensacola, or is there a possibility of, for example, Jacksonville as an IFS location? I've received mixed responses to this in the past. Thanks!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
if you go to OCS or report to NAS Pensacola before you do IFS you do it in this area, (like Destin or Eglin AFB). If you are stuck somewhere before you move to Pensacola like I was for a few months back in Texas you can do it at a FAA part 141 flight school that is near you. I graduated and stayed at the University of Texas at Austin for a few months and did IFS in Georgetown which was about 30 miles away. I had a blast.

jaerose

What type of airframe do you fly? Do you have your choice, or is it assigned to you? What if you have a plane...or bought one down there (so you could fly a little on the weekends for practice as well)?

JR

Kevincjr1

I have about 11 hours of flight time in the cessna-172N, and after speaking to alot of people who have gotten flight time they have flown the same type aircraft as well. So in all I am assuming that since this isn't actual training that they will use the Cessna -172N as well. Traditionally this is the type of aircraft that is used to teach alot of up and coming prospective pilots. But as for choosing which aircraft I'm not too sure, but I think that is unlikely. And as for flying your own plane i'm not too sure either. But I was wondering is it still possible to do IFS if you have about 11 hours of flight time? Thanks in Advance.

Kevin

kaiangel

We get to use a Cherokee Piper. They say it is good because it gets you familiar with the underwing design that a T-34 has.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i had a piper tomahawk..also a low wing airplane...i dont know about the 11 hours of flight time but it seems that IFS would still be for you especially if you havent had a solo or a cross country. most places use a Cessna 172 around here in P'cola..other places may use different planes..(the cheaper the better according to the navy) so if you get a flight school that has like a 60 buck an hour tomahawk they'll use it..if the cheapest is the 172 then you'll get that. hope this helps...pretty much if you're in OCS you'll be using the Cessna 172 at one of the places around P'cola..and i heard you should choose Destin to do IFS....from the mouth of the donkeys

jaerose

Can you use your own plane for IFS...if you have one? What if you wanted to buy one for personal use during/after flight school?

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.