• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Enlisted Advancement Exams

.NETC#Guy

Hello all,

I am new here on the forum so I apologize in advance if this thread is not in the correct category. I'm trying to help a good buddy and co-worker of mine prepare his son for the E4 advancement exam coming up for him in March of 2017. Since I am a Software Developer, I thought of building a very simple Android application that can run on his son's phone and he could go through the questions similar to how you would study using flash cards. The problem of course is that I would need a database of questions in order to make this work =)
So my question is: Is there already an app like this somewhere readily available, and if not, where would I be able to get the resources or information to make the database of questions?

He is an Aviation Boatswain Mate Handler (ABH), just like what I was when I was in the service. When I was in, I remember studying my a** off from hard copy books and other resources that were available through my command.

Anyways, I just wanted to help this kid out if I could and help him score higher on the exam with an app. Any thoughts? Thanks very much.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Studying for rating exams isn't rocket science, and said E4 should be relying on his peers and shop leadership for this kind of thing (not dad, or dad's friends). That's kind of weird - cut the cord, already. ;)

As you know, there are plenty of resources available to him for successful studying. IMO, creating actual flash cards has a certain merit in learning the information just by looking it up and writing it on a card.

exNavyOffRec

back in the day all I did was read one chapter each night out of my rating book, between that and working in the rating I did fine.

Like Brett said, it isn't rocket science, it really is just time management.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Hello all,

I am new here on the forum so I apologize in advance if this thread is not in the correct category. I'm trying to help a good buddy and co-worker of mine prepare his son for the E4 advancement exam coming up for him in March of 2017. Since I am a Software Developer, I thought of building a very simple Android application that can run on his son's phone and he could go through the questions similar to how you would study using flash cards. The problem of course is that I would need a database of questions in order to make this work =)
So my question is: Is there already an app like this somewhere readily available, and if not, where would I be able to get the resources or information to make the database of questions?

He is an Aviation Boatswain Mate Handler (ABH), just like what I was when I was in the service. When I was in, I remember studying my a** off from hard copy books and other resources that were available through my command.

Anyways, I just wanted to help this kid out if I could and help him score higher on the exam with an app. Any thoughts? Thanks very much.

Honestly, your friend's son would be best served making his own flash cards. If Android is what he's using, I recommend he download AnkiDroid. Anki—available on PC/Mac/iPhone/Android (free on all platforms except iPhone, where it's like $2o)—uses spaced repetition to control the cards you see, so you'll end up practicing the cards you need the most while spending less time on cards you already mastered. Your friend's son will learn once by making all the cards (far better than being handed a deck) and then solidify his knowledge by using this program. The best part about having it on your phone is that you can pull out any deck in less than 10 seconds whenever you have a spare five minutes. I feel a twinge of pity whenever I see people coming up on HAC boards sitting in the JO space with three fat stacks of paper flash cards.

I love and preach Anki so much that you'd almost suspect I was making money on the project myself. This program has been responsible for my success for many years now, carrying me through college, ASTB preparation, IFS, API, Primary, Advanced and just about every other evaluation/board/etc. that I've yet to encounter. On the side, I'm also getting pretty good at country flag recognition and hiragana/katakana, but now I'm just bragging. I have used Anki almost every single day since I've been in the Navy...it's too convenient and too good at what it does.

Here's a current snapshot of the decks I'm rocking right now. All of the decks you see (minus Geography/Hiragana) all belong to the "MH-60R Master Deck." So I essentially have hundreds of cards in one giant pile, then I tell the program what custom decks ("filtered decks") I want to study. All the blue decks are specific topics from the larger deck. Your friend's son could have as many/few decks as he wants, focusing on specific or general topics related to his rate.

unnamed.png

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, studying is the correct answer. If he wants to advance, he'll do his own homework. The Navy goes to great lengths to tell people what to study; Each rating has a bibliography (ABH3 Bib) from which to study. My own experience is that I studied my butt off for each rating exam (most sailors just don't study) and succeeded but the test is only part of calculus. His performance evaluations will also weigh into his advancement. As long as he is getting good evaluations and studies, he should EARN his promotion.

The best way to help him out is to tell him to study.....Let him earn it on his own.