• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about being a RIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker853

Hey guys, its your local neighborhood joker. How we doin? I've been reading around a lot and starting to wonder if I have what it takes to be a pilot. It's what I want to do; Preferrably I want to pilot the Tomcat, it has always been my favorite....Top Gun hooked me :)

Anyway, I was thinking if I don't hack it as a pilot, what I RIO's do to get to where they are. If I can't pilot a tomcat, I can at least be the Radar guy. Just an idea.

Later!
J

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Well the odds of you getting Tomcats is very low. They are on the way out. They are still taking pilots and RIOs now, but by the time you made it thru flight school they probably won't. Nothing wrong with flying 18s though. (Anyone feel free to correct me on any of this.)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Even if you did get RIO for the Tomcat, you'd probably only get one tour and given the option of transition or leave. That's the way it is with S-3s, another platform that is going away. I know of someone who just got f-14s, but rjack, you're probably right, odds are not in favor.

Archer_

another NFO question. After the S-3 and the F-14 are gone, what all will be left.
I've heard P-3s are getting a high number of hours on the airframes (but that has been said of other aircraft long before they were phased out), and limited ASW needs. Are many being converted to EP-3s?

what I know of:
Super Hornets
P-3
EP-3
EA-6B
E-2

what else? I know I'm missing some...

Vandy7

F-14B/D RIO
We RIOs are going the way of the Dodo..what we are becoming are WSOs in the Super...
Last class at the RAG will be either sometime next year or the very shortly thereafter. Last Topgun class to go through with Tomcats graduated last fall. So anybody in flight school now has only a very limited, if any chance to fly Toms. Which in a way is too bad, because for a NFO it is a great jet, for two reasons.
The first is that because the pilot had essentially no radar control, you were pretty much running the show in back, a field general being chaffeured around. That power dynamic is of course a little bit different now with the -18F, though the community will never let the WSO just be a GIB.
The second is that because the Tomcat is such a non-integrated, cantankerous, temperamental, ergonomic nightmare in back, I think it makes the RIOs better aviators than if they just had to flip a switch and everything is turned on (E/F, basically.) I always figure that if I can just get everything turned on and set up before we get out of the line/taxi to the cat, the actual mission will be a breeze.
So, what does that leave our young apprentices? As was alredy posted, the jets you could think about are:

F-14/F/A-18F Good job, though the WSO has less to do in the F (but that is still plenty. Good blend of airmanship and all-around tactics/airpower employment.

EA-6B/F/A-G Good job, though I wonder about the career dynamics of going from 3 ECMO's to one, while keeping the number of jets and squadrons the same. Good blend of airmanship (especially when ECMOs go to the "Growler"), but a little more unidimensional when it comes to warfighting.

E-2 Good job. Hey, on the carrier side the Navy's only buying JSF, E/F/G's...and Hawkeyes. Tradeoff with the E-2 is that the airmanship side loses out once you leave the training command and start flying in the back of the tube, but you really know how the entire fleet works. So you got that going for you. Which is nice.

P-3/MMA No comment.

Vandy7

F-14B/D RIO
Originally posted by Thisguy20
Even if you did get RIO for the Tomcat, you'd probably only get one tour and given the option of transition or leave. That's the way it is with S-3s, another platform that is going away. I know of someone who just got f-14s, but rjack, you're probably right, odds are not in favor.

VF and VFA detailers are being merged, so the transitions are basically going to be automatic. Having said that, these jets take a long time to learn to fly and fight. I love the Tomcat, but if you can go Super from the get-go, by all means do so, as it will only help your career. Being a LCDR and trying to do a big ground job, AND trying to learn a new aircraft ain't where you want to be, especially if your first shore/second sea tour were not in tactical aircraft. Besides, other than some lousy air quality, Lemoore ain't a bad place.

Status
Not open for further replies.