• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Q for Jarhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

airwinger

pilot
I'm just starting the joys of ground school(8 hours of lecture yeah!!!) but had a couple of q's:
1. Do you have a choice whether you go to Kingsville or meridian
2. Same q, for VMFAT 101 vs oceana or leemore
3. At the RAG how much choice do you have for F-18D vs C.
4. Can you switch back and forth.
5. how long did each stage of training take for you?
Thanks for your help.
semper fi,
airwinger

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
1. Do you have a choice whether you go to Kingsville or meridian

no ... you will go where the next class is starting ... i requested meridian, they sent me to kingsville

2. Same q, for VMFAT 101 vs oceana or leemore

no ... same as above, you go where they have room for you in the next starting class (the wait for Marines to start the Hornet RAG, or FRS for you politically correct folks, is generally 3-4 months for all 3 locations), and you don't get to request which RAG location you want, you find out when your orders arrive 2-4 weeks after you get your wings.

3. At the RAG how much choice do you have for F-18D vs C.

when you are finished at Meridian/Kingsville & are selecting, you will write down, in order, which aircraft you want as well as which coast you want to be stationed once you are done with the RAG. for Hornets, your choices are either MCAS Miramar CA or MCAS Beaufort SC. i dont know of anybody who didn't get their choice, i wanted & got Beaufort. you dont have a choice in which fleet squadron you will go to. again, it depends on which fleet squadron needs you when you finish up the RAG ... but, if you have a good reputation coming out of the RAG, you could probably swing it with a few phone calls (your Skipper or OPS O will make those calls, not you) and get you the Hornet squadron you want, i.e. single seat or two seat. while at the Hornet RAG you will fly F-18 A's, B's, C's, & D's.

4. Can you switch back and forth.

yes, you can switch between single seat squadrons & two-seat squadrons. the avionics in the single seat & two seater's are pretty much the same, with a few differences in limitations & a different fuel load

5. how long did each stage of training take for you?

i started API in Oct 2000 ... Primary @ Whiting took me 6 months, Advanced @ Kingsville took me 11 months, and i'm currently 1/3 of the way through the RAG.

flying50.jpg

Rainman

pilot
You do put down your preference for Meridian or Kingsville. If the training wings are given slots for both (for Marines) they will certainly take that into account. There is also some talent sharing that goes on (so I'm told) whereas some super high NSSs don't always have as much choice as the the rest of the field.

Past couple months about 80% of Marines are getting their choice for jet training location (non-scientfic. .my own personal interviews!).

when it comes down to it. .who cares? It's one year out of your life flying T45 A or C and possibly some T2C time.

Semper Fi

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
well, yes, you will fill out a little wish list requesting where you'd like to go for Advanced, but the final say so in the matter is the "needs of the Navy/Marine Corps", but things might have changed, it's been two years since i selected. like i said though, i requested Meridian, i got Kingsville. that happened to a lot of people i know.

who cares you ask? well both locations suck ass to live, but i would think that most guys in Primary at Corpus would rather go to Kingsville so they wouldn't have to move, and a 3 hour move to Meridian from P'cola is a lot easier than a 14 hour move to bum-phucked S Texas ... plus, the T-45C is a better jet than the A model. also, when i went through, K-Rock was the only place running the new syllabus, which meant i got done in 11 months (actually 10 months and 2 weeks from start of GS to my last flight) and guys that started around the same time as i did up in Meridian still had 4-6 months to complete. everybody has there own reason i suppose.

Originally posted by Rainman
You do put down your preference for Meridian or Kingsville. If the training wings are given slots for both (for Marines) they will certainly take that into account. There is also some talent sharing that goes on (so I'm told) whereas some super high NSSs don't always have as much choice as the the rest of the field.

Past couple months about 80% of Marines are getting their choice for jet training location (non-scientfic. .my own personal interviews!).

when it comes down to it. .who cares? It's one year out of your life flying T45 A or C and possibly some T2C time.

Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.