• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Purple shirt, SSA, and questionable claims of PTSD

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Personality disorder is the stated cause. That leaves the door wide-open, but I think it rhymes with "Not suitable for military service." And, based on the short timeline of service it wouldn't be all that different than the airman you can send home free of charge inside of 180 days. But I defer to @nittany03 and other recovering legal o's.
missed that part, back then the guys I worked with that went out with "personality disorder" were the ones that couldn't show up on time, had conflicts with others, and just didn't want to do there jobs, add in a NJP here and there, it just seemed that it was easier to get rid of people with a medical discharge due than going through the hoops to get rid of them because they were dirt bags.
You rang? :) IIRC, there is a "get out of jail free" entry-level separation for the kids that just aren't cut out for it. But personally, IMO, the idea of getting someone out on a medical discharge because the alternative is "too much work" is a pretty shitty and lazy way to do business (that's not a shot at NavyOffRec personally). And I'm pretty sure in the modern Navy, it'd be a quick way to find yourself on the wrong end of a congressional or an IG.

I remember a couple of troops who were similar to that description; a dirtball who was too lazy to care, and a teenaged chick who just could not buy a clue if you gave her a years' pay up front. No psych shenanigans necessary. Counsel, write it down, then DRB, XOI, Mast w/ a Page 13, and Mast again. Boom. File the papers and they're out in less than two weeks. The right way. With every opportunity to stop the process in midstream by not being a moron anymore.

I can't remember if it's in the JAGMAN or somewhere else, but there's some pretty strict rules about COs ordering people to an involuntary psych eval because you think they've got a "personality disorder." And rightfully so, because they're trying to keep a shitty CO from being able to gaslight one of his/her people as a retaliation tool. Not saying psych separations aren't warranted. Off the top of my head, I can think of two nameless and rankless people I've served with who in all honesty weren't quite right up there. But I think modern society has a horribly immature attitude towards mental health. As someone who is in this business on a childhood ADD waiver, a diagnosis is a lifelong label. And so I'd be very leery of using the power of the US Navy to hang a label on one of my Sailors unless they self-refer or a doc I trust convinces me that it's needed to help them.

exNavyOffRec

You rang? :) IIRC, there is a "get out of jail free" entry-level separation for the kids that just aren't cut out for it. But personally, IMO, the idea of getting someone out on a medical discharge because the alternative is "too much work" is a pretty shitty and lazy way to do business (that's not a shot at NavyOffRec personally). And I'm pretty sure in the modern Navy, it'd be a quick way to find yourself on the wrong end of a congressional or an IG.

I remember a couple of troops who were similar to that description; a dirtball who was too lazy to care, and a teenaged chick who just could not buy a clue if you gave her a years' pay up front. No psych shenanigans necessary. Counsel, write it down, then DRB, XOI, Mast w/ a Page 13, and Mast again. Boom. File the papers and they're out in less than two weeks. The right way. With every opportunity to stop the process in midstream by not being a moron anymore.

I can't remember if it's in the JAGMAN or somewhere else, but there's some pretty strict rules about COs ordering people to an involuntary psych eval because you think they've got a "personality disorder." And rightfully so, because they're trying to keep a shitty CO from being able to gaslight one of his/her people as a retaliation tool. Not saying psych separations aren't warranted. Off the top of my head, I can think of two nameless and rankless people I've served with who in all honesty weren't quite right up there. But I think modern society has a horribly immature attitude towards mental health. As someone who is in this business on a childhood ADD waiver, a diagnosis is a lifelong label. And so I'd be very leery of using the power of the US Navy to hang a label on one of my Sailors unless they self-refer or a doc I trust convinces me that it's needed to help them.

Didn't think it was a shot, and things are different now, I was just relating what I saw that was at the same time this guy was getting the boot, and back then from what I saw it took a lot to get a guy out via NJP, hell I had guys I worked with that had multiple NJP's in only a few years back then.

2 weeks would have been nice at my last sea duty, we had guys popping on drug test it was still taking months to get them out, not sure why (you might) but all discharges (not due to EAOS) had to get signed off by the ISIC

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...there's some pretty strict rules about COs ordering people to an involuntary psych eval because you think they've got a "personality disorder." And rightfully so, because they're trying to keep a shitty CO from being able to gaslight one of his/her people as a retaliation tool. Not saying psych separations aren't warranted....And so I'd be very leery of using the power of the US Navy to hang a label on one of my Sailors unless they self-refer or a doc I trust convinces me that it's needed to help them.

Unless one confesses to the CO and the doc about hearing voices, then it is a rapid one-way ticket to a psych eval and a discharge. She had plenty of other issues too, one of the 5% you spend 90% of your time on unfortunately. She was pretty hot though so she always found someone willing to put up with her crazy for a little while....