• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pulsating Run

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I've been struggling with running for some time now, but I found a way that seems to cut my times down pretty well, figured I'd spread word.

What seems to work is "pulsing" my speed. I'll go for a few feet to start out, and then kick speed up a good deal for a few yards. I'll slow down for a few yards, catch breath, then pulse a few fast yards out again. Rinse and repeat.

It seems to help you get used to running faster for longer periods. As you go you can increase the fast part and decrease the slow part. I havent' tried it at a PFT or anything just yet, but my best solo run times were using this method.

Anyone else tried this?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Been around for years. I first heard it called High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT. It has helped me as well.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Here I thought I stumbled onto something new. Hehe! Well, it gets my stamp o' approval, along with the pose method.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We call that an "Indian run" when done in formation. And you're right...it does help. I do a modification of that on the treadmill. Two minute warmup followed by an increase in intensity every minute for four minutes. Then back down to the same speed at minute three. Repeat this for 25-30 minutes total. Or, you can crank up the speed and go for 20 minutes. Good stuff.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
We were encouraged in NSI to sprint the straight-aways and jog the curves on the 1/4-mile oval track.

Birdman

We call that an "Indian run" when done in formation. And you're right...it does help. I do a modification of that on the treadmill. Two minute warmup followed by an increase in intensity every minute for four minutes. Then back down to the same speed at minute three. Repeat this for 25-30 minutes total. Or, you can crank up the speed and go for 20 minutes. Good stuff.

Indian Run is a favorite of my Army ROTC unit as well. Works you out more and increases your time

LoneSailor

I do the same thing with a stationary bike (with resistance set at the right amount). It's still as effecting as running, but lower impact.

foniks

I've been struggling with running for some time now, but I found a way that seems to cut my times down pretty well, figured I'd spread word.

What seems to work is "pulsing" my speed. I'll go for a few feet to start out, and then kick speed up a good deal for a few yards. I'll slow down for a few yards, catch breath, then pulse a few fast yards out again. Rinse and repeat.

It seems to help you get used to running faster for longer periods. As you go you can increase the fast part and decrease the slow part. I havent' tried it at a PFT or anything just yet, but my best solo run times were using this method.

Anyone else tried this?

Do NOT try this at a PFT! The only reason you are pulling better times using this method is because you aren't putting out enough on your regular timed runs. This method is definately a good training method. It is called fartlek and is a form of high intensity interval training. However, it is definately a BAD racing method.

Your best PFT times will come when you run at pace.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
When we did runs like that in cross country we called them "Fartlek" runs, like Foniks said. Funny name, but even funnier when you consider its named after the guy who supposedly pioneered it. Go figure. The guy grew up with the name Fartlek, no wonder he knew how to run. I also concur that it should not be used DURRING a PFT, but is a good training tool when used in conjunction with a normal running regime.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Huh... looks like I was handed some bad gouge a few years back. Virtual rep points for that one.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
AH...a no-no on the PFT, got it. I was about to try in on my pre-ship. Thanks for the heads up.