• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prt

m26

Contributor
Thanks, MB

As to #1...to what degree will I be screwed by my inflexibility?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I have mixed feelings about whey protein, if you are still scrawny and have a buffer on the weight limits it will work well. You will put on weight but you'll bulk up as long as you've been working out.

I was in your situation with the pushups early in the application process. I used weight training and the navy-prt.com pushup plan (not a very effective plan) to bulk up. I've actually lost 15 lbs to this point in the app process. Protein bars and low carb diet are what I've used and I've seen an increase in my P/u count and muscle.

Semisonic9

Thanks, MB

As to #1...to what degree will I be screwed by my inflexibility?

Pretty screwed, as I understand it. I think it's pass/fail, bro. Are you sure you're doing it right? I've never heard of anybody even close to your kind of shape who can't make it down there without some serious pre-existing medical conditions.

m26

Contributor
Pretty screwed, as I understand it. I think it's pass/fail, bro. Are you sure you're doing it right? I've never heard of anybody even close to your kind of shape who can't make it down there without some serious pre-existing medical conditions.

Bother.

No medical problems, I just don't bend at the waist. If I sit with my legs straight out, I'm naturally at a 125 degree angle, or something absurd like that. I have to use my abs to keep from falling backwards.

navy09

None
I've never heard of someone failing the sit/reach. It's not like you've got to hold your toes for a few minutes- just reach out real quick and tap them.

Agree with everyone else on the whey protein. I worked out for a while without taking it and saw pretty limited results. Once I started taking it at the appropriate amount (1g/# of body weight/day) I saw significant gains very quickly.

To improve push ups:
a) Do a lot of pushups.
b) Bench/dumbbell press + db flys + a butt-ton of protein.

*Note- under no circumstances should you be eating anything close to 150+ g's of protein powder a day. Eat food high in protein and use powder to supplement.

m26

Contributor
I've never heard of someone failing the sit/reach. It's not like you've got to hold your toes for a few minutes- just reach out real quick and tap them.

Yeah...as of now I can't even come close. My flexibility is about average otherwise (how would I know, though?), but as I say, I just don't bend at the waist.

I looked it up, and according to OPNAV INSTRUCTION 6110.1H, failing the sit and reach won't fail my PRT. I can't say about other problems that may pose.

*Note- under no circumstances should you be eating anything close to 150+ g's of protein powder a day. Eat food high in protein and use powder to supplement.

Thanks for the tips. :)

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
So...I'm already a BDCP'er, and have to take the first of my two physical fitness tests...tomorrow morning. The problem is, I've sort of fallen into poor condition. I badly sprained my ankle at the end of March trying to practice with my old high school basketball team. I've been rehabbing like crazy and I've been able to run again for about the last week...to a certain extent. This coupled with finals, High Life, and the fact that I haven't been working out like normal due to said ankle...well...let's just say I'm not the physical specimen I once was. My question is this: Do I just need to meet the good low standard while in BDCP? Is my OR going to be pissed, or what? It's bad enough for my ego, since the first time I took the test I was outstanding or excellent in all categories, but now I'm just worried about staying in the program. I think I can still hit above good low in all categories, but honestly the run worries me, especially after going full steam in push-ups and sit-ups. I just don't have the wind right now. Anyone ever dealt with this?

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
Yeah, I'm a junior. One year to go:sleep_125...not that I'm complaining about collecting a nice little paycheck until then. Do you know your OCS date? I haven't got mine but my processor said I would nearer to graduation...I dunno...It seems like my whole process has been completely different than a lot of the people on this forum.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Yeah, I'm a junior. One year to go:sleep_125...not that I'm complaining about collecting a nice little paycheck until then. Do you know your OCS date? I haven't got mine but my processor said I would nearer to graduation...I dunno...It seems like my whole process has been completely different than a lot of the people on this forum.
Nah I don't either. I'm working on making this next year as awesome as possible and trying to put away some cash while getting in OCS shape. Which isn't hard given the generous paychecks.

We graduate very early in May (I'm done in a couple days) so if that's similar to you, I would think we'd have better chances of being in the same class.