• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT: State Police Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveyearsdead

Maybe this will help some people, or maybe it won't. Nonetheless, I figured that I would tell everyone how the Maryland State Police PT's applicants. First, you do as many pushups as possible in one minute; your chest must touch your partner's fist on the ground. Second, immediately following the pushups, switch to the situp position and do as many possible in one minute. Average time to recover from pushups is around 5 seconds. Third, no more than 7 minutes following situps, begin 1.5 mile run. I've never been a fitness person by any stretch of the imagination, but this PT got me into shape. The way I see it, with a longer break (as with the Navy,) your run time will lower dramatically. Also, find some people to yell at you with Smokey hats. That too will dramatically improve all phases of your PRT. Back to the couch.

Agent00JP

Sounds like a good workout, although the longer break before the run shouldn't affect your run time much since they are different muscle groups (but it could take a mental toll on a poor runner).

DFlatley

It will help because you'd get a better chace to catch your breath. Running after 15 pullups is tough for the first half-mile until you get your ryhthm, I figure.

plumberphil

Selected PLC-C 186 Ground
Why only do 1 set of push ups and sit ups? Just one set doesn't seem like it would be enough to get much of a workout. The same thing goes for the run as well. Why only run 1.5 miles when you're training for a 1.5 mile prt run? I've been a runner for most of my life and when I train for a 5k I don't just limit my runs to 5k's I run up to about 8 miles. I've also found that varying my routine for runs, sit ups, push ups, dips, and pull ups helps keep me motivated, controls monotony(sp?) and is a better workout. Just some thoughts.

Jake

klray77

It is my opinion, and it works here at the Memphis NROTC unit, that the best way to improve your 1.5 mile run time is 400m sprints. We do an excercise here we call "terrible twelves". Basically, it is a 400m sprint followed by a 400m cool down lap (slow jog), a short rest period and start over again. We usually do this 6 times, for a total of twelve laps, hence the name. Sometimes we throw pushups, situps, and pullups in between the fast and cool down lap.

I find that the longer runs around 3-5 miles, and we get plenty of those in, train you how to build up your endurance, but don't necessarily build up speed. So if you have a problem stopping during the PRT to walk and catch your breath, then I would practice running for longer distances. When you're ready to start speeding up your time, try sprints.

Ken

"I Love Terrible Twelves"

Now before any of you go off, no, I can't outright sprint for 400m. But I just try to carry a fast pace for the entire lap. My (fast) lap times run around 1:35 - 1:40. That's about average in our unit with one or two guys going as fast as just over a minute. Anyways, the point is that here is another way you can train for the 1.5 mile run. After you do it a few times, you'll find that you can keep that "terrible twelve" pace up for 6 laps, or 1.5 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.