• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Run

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I found for adjusting my pace I could find the guy running PRT :30-1min faster than me and try to stick with him as long as possible. If I could match his stride (ie if he was as tall or taller than me) even better.

Had a guy in A school that was running 8:15-8:30 when I was running 9:40-9:55...I used to draft on him for the first mile or so until I thought my heart would pop and then back off a stride or two...got the times down to 9:20 or so.

I think this is what the DI's used in OCS for us...run with me until yer heart pops, then run more...repeat 3x per week.

Also, concentrate on your breathing a little...4 in-3 out, 3 in-2 out, etc. helps take the mind off the pain and helps develop a rythm.

Plus what everyone said above.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
Alright guys I'm going to do the intervals, but I'm going to continue the every other day routine until I feel I can handle more.

I actually kind of surprised my self in my run today. I went to the local park and ran the track there. I would pick a cow in the distance sprint towards her find another sprint etc and I ran it in 10:44. I was about dead, but now I know I can handle it.:D

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
Just don't do intervals every other day! You will learn to hate running in short order. That would take the wind out of just about anyone's sail. Twice a week is really plenty for those.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If you have a weak kick (finish), re-route your training runs so you're finishing them uphill. That is, if you have hills in your area. You'll get used to suffering at the end of the run, and it'll be cake when you've got one lap to go on a flat track.

This has nothing to do with your question, but it is important. Do not sprint on the road. Sprinting on the street puts tremendous strain on your joints, bones, tendons, and ligaments. Do your speed on flat grass or a rubber track.

Avalanche24

Alright guys I'm going to do the intervals, but I'm going to continue the every other day routine until I feel I can handle more.

Giving your body a day to rest is always a good thing. It gives you a day to rehydrate as much as possible, and it helps the body repair itself.
For what it's worth, this is what I've found to help me -- I run just about every day, with 1-2 days off per week. No set days really, just whenever I feel like I've hit a wall. I generally just jog a good distance (usually a 5k) on my "off" days, then run 2 miles hard on my "on" days. Lifting weights (squats) have helped, too.
I'll switch it up every month or so and go to running straight through 2 miles on one day, then doing intervals on the next day. Switching things up makes exercising more fun, and it makes sure your body won't get used to doing just one thing.
Just listen to your body. It'll tell you if you're doing too much too fast. It's important to push yourself, but there's a huge difference between "good hurt" and "bad hurt."