• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Pushups

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjamin17

I was just wondering what the rules were on the pushups concerning resting. I know you're not allowed to rest on the bottom.. but when you rest at the top do you need to keep perfect form, or can you like stick your ass up in the air to move your weight more onto your shoulders assuming you keep 2 hands and 2 feet on the floor with nothing else touching...

thanks

JTP

I think as long as your chest and legs aren't on the ground your good. In fact, I'm pretty positive about that.

GO DAWGS!!

Harmony Boy

I think how strict they are really depends on the recruiter giving the PRT. That being said, out in the fleet you're not allowed to stick your ass in the air nor "hump the deck". They can say that you're done if you do that. You're also not supposed to lift any limb from the ground, even to reposition, once you've started. That's also grounds for ending the push-up section. Check out this link for more info on the PRT:

http://mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/physred.htm

Check out the OPNAVINST for the specifics on what you are and aren't allowed to do during the PRT. Hope this helps.

James

aoconnor

I did the PRT in Jan. and again last week. Both times were the same:
Push-ups - straight form, no sagging, no ass in the air, and no stopping, arms have to break 90 degrees -just get down and push them out. They figure that if you stop you may as well be done.

Situps - More of a curl. Just grab your shirt collar or sleeves and stick your elbows far out as possible and touch any portion of the leg. Therefore, why I say more of a curl.

Run - get out there and bust ass, just be sure to not expend your energy too quick.

I did the prt in Jan but since I was at a CC my packet could not be sent out. Finally, after turning in 12 hours from UNC, I was allowed to submit my packet, so I re-did the PRT. Now I just have to wait.

Also, both times the officer was helpful. First time, it was a Senior Chief and he even ran the last lap w/ me.

Good luck.

kenjamin17

Do people typically just do as many pushups as they can nonstop during the PRT? or do like 20 rest for a couple seconds... what kind of strategies do you guys recommend?

ghost_ttu

I had 70 done in the first minute and opted to use the extra minute to rest for running. But my run times had been killing me. I'll be in better shape if I get to OCS so I'll probably just push all the way through.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Rob81

i am currently in ocs so i can answer this pretty well. as far as pushups go. once any part of your body non essential to the pushup hits the ground the count stops. arms must go down to a 90 degree angle and up to a locked position. on the situp you may rest in the up position and your hands must be on your collar bone and your arms against your chest. they can not leave your chest. your elbows need to touch your knees.- good luck

BB

I am in OCS currently too. I just wanted to add about the sit-ups, that your elbows CANNOT flare out. They will not count if they are not pinned to your stomach.

Other advise, for your in PFA (or PRT as it is called before you arrive), do NOT do your best! You have to show improvement, therefore, you should come in with a little or the minimum scores that way over the next two or three weeks you can push it and show a massive improvement, but you won't kill yourself. Lastly, be able to do the required out-pfa before you get to OCS. Look on a chart and find out what the excellent low is for your age and gender and be able to do it.
GOOD LUCK.

ghost_ttu

Is there a specific position for hands during pushups at OCS? can elbows go out or in?

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Status
Not open for further replies.