• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prop, Jet, Helo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airborne

Hi I was wondering what exacly the difference between prop and jet is. Its not that basic of a question, i know the difference between a prop plane and a jet plane but was wondering if the prop was pure piston prop or does it include turbo props, or are turbo props considered to be under jets. what kind of planes would you be flying with prop?
Thx.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
The props in the navy are all turbo props. THis includes the T-34C, EP/P-3 and E-2/C-2.
T-44 and TC-12 also are TP. I do not know of any pure piston engines left in the inventory.

If you go jets, we are talking Hornets, Tomcats, S-3B, EA-6B and E-6 ( not sure if you select jets to get these or not, I am sure someone will correct me). If you want more info on these planes go to http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/index.html
or just go the to navy fact file off of their main page at www.navy.mil

hope this answers you question

Rob_ERAU

Turbo prop, piston prop or any propeller driven fixed wing airplane would classify as the prop pipeline. Jets are strictly... well jets! Navy airplanes that are in the prop pipeline are: T-34 Mentor, T-44 King Air, P-3 Orion, E-2 Hawkeye and C-2 Greyhound. One USMC prop is the C-130. These are all aircraft you could be flying if going props.

Navy airplanes that are classified jets are: S-3 Viking, EA-6B Prowler, T-45 Goshawk and of course, the F-18 Hornet and F-14 Tomcat. USMC jets are: T-45 Goshawk, F-18 Hornet, EA-6B Prowler and AV-8B/Plus Harrier. These are all various aircraft that you could be flying if going jets.

Now I might have missed a few but I'm sure you get the point.

Airborne

Thanks guys, that def cleared things up for me. Im very thankful for this site webmaster, its a great deal of help.
So if you flew something like a c-130, could you get out of the military and fly a pure jet for an airline?

P.S. That is a really awesome site bhc! CHEERS!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not sure on the prob of going strait to airlines, but they do like multi-engine time.

np on the site

Rob_ERAU

Coming out of the military multi-engine trained and experienced will definitely make you attractive to the airline companies. Know that they will train you themselves prior to you stepping in any of thier aircraft, regardless of any experience you may have. But, flying C-130's or any large multi engine aircraft for that matter, will get you that commercial airline job before anyone else who does not have that experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.