• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Professional development board before OCS app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccssandiego

to all current or prior enlisted-

I am currently an E5 stationed on an aircraft carrier - after finally finishing my Bachelor's Degree last November, I started getting my OCS package together so I could apply as soon as possible - It is February and I have everything in order except for my officer board. Well I went back to my command career counselor (who was getting pretty sick of me by now) and told him I'm ready to set up the officer board - he told me that i first needed to finish a Professional Development Board before i could go any further. He said it was a formality when applying to an officer program and would take 10 minutes - I never heard of this but I was willing to do whatever it took to get the application in the mail. This is when things went bad - the board consisted of: the master chief of my department, my LCPO, the command career counselor (a senior chief), and my e5 dept. career counselor -

the board started out by my master chief asking me 1 question; why did i want to be a naval aviator? - i told him about my interest in aviation, my goals, etc... & that was to be the last question he asked, because he spent the next 30 minutes telling me my package didn't have "a snowball's chance in hell" (exact words) of making it. His main argument was that i am an E5 and not SW or AW qualed, and have not had any real supervisory positions...the most frustrating thing was the next thing he said, which was basically that he was not going to allow me to apply - he said that the package had to go through him and have his endorsement, and he would not endorse it because he felt that my chances of getting picked up were really poor. --- It was a pretty discouraging thing to hear and now i am just trying to figure out what to do next...it is a very helpless feeling when someone who has no idea of just how much a commission means and no understanding of the OCS application process, can keep me from applying - This happened just last week so I think i just needed to vent, but i could also use a little help or advice - if anyone has gone up against something similiar or has any suggestions, please let me know - thanks

-chad

JayManC

chad,
perhaps this would be the ideal test to gauge your true interest in obtaining a commission, someone once told me to "never accept a no from someone who was never in the position to tell you yes in the first place" if you want it....make it happen. if the old salty dog senior chief wont do it...find someone who will. Im sure theres an O on your boat who wants you to make it.
just my opinion

<insert something witty here:>

jwnole

Guess what. I have a degree, like you. I have had no opportunity to lead anyone either besides those afforded me in college and sports. I though, am not prior enlisted. It sounds like you would have a leg up on me and most other OCs out there. Don't worry about the chief. He sounds bitter. Find another way. You are in charge of your own destiny.

Brianlegg

Chad,
Are you a Nuke or a conventional? The reason that I am asking is that you said you were an E-5 on an aircraft carrier and that you were not qualified SW or AW and no leadership experience. I am a Chief and not qualified SW or AW. I am applying for OCS as well. Don't let them keep you from applying. First, they can't do that. That can only be the CO. So request captain's mast if they won't budge, but be prepared to answer the CO's questions about SW and AW. You could persue these ships quals and then apply or start quals and address that on your waiver page as one of your goals for professional development. Either way don't give up!

Brian

shooter13

Hey Brian I am your neighbor here in Charleston. Just about finished with my TESC degree.

To the original post, Brian is right, only the CO can officially not recommend you for OCS. What's the story with ESWS anyway? Have you been working so much on college you haven't had time? Perhaps you should show them you are motivated by qualifying. When I qualified on the Enterprise it really wasn't that hard once I decided to go ahead and do it(that took 3 years BTW) us nukes hate ESWS. I wouldn't go around or back-stab the senior chief but I wouldn't be afraid to let him know you want to take this up the chain of command. Show him you have the drive and gumption to be an officer. What ship are you on anyway?

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
Chad,

I am an E-6 just selected for OCS. A PDB can be given at any time when your chain of command feels you may need some guidance in your career. I would definitely recommend enrolling in the ESWS or EAWS program regardless of what you do, because you at least have to be enrolled in the program to be advanced. You should be able to knock out your warfare quals on your next cruise pretty quick! You have shown what you can do for yourself educationally; now show what you can do for yourself professionally as a sailor. This is, in many cases, much harder and more time consuming than working on an undergraduate, remember everyone applying at least has a degree; show what you have done while attaining the degree. BTW, when applying to OCS an Officer Appraisal board is not required. You can do these individually, it states this right in the instruction (the higher ranking the better). One thing to consider esp. w/ Master Chiefs, CWO, and LDOs is that they might be telling you discouraging things to see if you will press ahead with the package. Your going to have to prepare the package anyway, go ahead and get it ready, send it up the chain and see what happens. If it is disapproved, most of the stuff in the package you can reuse, such as your application and LORs (this process will get you thoroughly familiar with the instruction which will help in the next package if needed). Meanwhile, try to get a good command collateral duty (meaning one that shows a leadership or high responsibility role) Examples: PRT Coordinator(I did this), Urinalysis coordinator, Section leader ... Good Luck!

Chris

ccssandiego

To everyone who has responded -
Thanks for some great advice - you guys brought up some things that i had not thought about...I have decided to go ahead and hit the warfare quals hard, and will make sure my package gets submitted once this is completed - in the meantime i will just make sure i have all the details in the application worked out so it will be ready to go when my department master chief is...To answer some of your questions I am a nuke onboard the John C Stennis - As most of you guys in reactor know ESWS and AW are not really pressed on us, though i should have been going after it on my own instead of having someone remind me to do it - On our last deployment i admit I probably focused too much on my educational goals (two semesters worth) and not enough on my warfare quals - guess i will just have to learn from that - thanks again for all your advice-- by the way my department master chief's name is erskine...(i hope i don't get in trouble now...)

sdkahuna

ccssandiego-
What ship are you on, I am in San Diego and will be applying soon and would like to ask you a few questions like what questions did they ask you on your board? What were your answers?

WFU2USN

Hi all,

Yes, having your warfare pin if you're on active duty is CRITICAL and they really do look for that. When I was on active duty, I applied for BOOST (now part of STA-21) and one of the key things both my command and myself were pushing to get done was my warfare qualification. I got the Qual. and BOOST, but decided to do college the conventional way...and here I am going to OCS...haha.

Showing motivation toward getting and then actually earning your warfare designation goes a long way. It shows committment to the Navy, interest in knowing the all around aspects of your job, etc.

I will be an NFO with a Seabee pin...that's got to be pretty unusual...:)

Robin
IS2(SCW)

Status
Not open for further replies.