• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Probably not the most common question

Hi,

I'm a 9th-grader equivalent living in the UK. While I do have an American citizenship, I'm not sure about residence. If it were to be the case that I don't have a residence in the US, does anyone know anything about "becoming" a US resident? At least so far as to be eligible for a local Congressman's nomination to a service academy.
Also, just as a general question, does anyone know of any officers who had grown up abroad and then moved back to the United States to attend a service academy? Just want to know how much of a trodden path this is.

Thanks for the help,
Teddy

Hi, thanks for the link. I know about the Vice Presidential nomination, though it seemed wise not to put all my eggs in one basket and only have one source to apply for. I'll try and figure out residency.
Thanks for the help,
Teddy

johnboyA6E

None
I'm a USNA Blue and Gold Officer and have a bit of background on this.
You would apply to the Member of Congress and the two Senators of you place of residence. Even if you are living overseas you may be able to establish US residency. It's most likely based on your parents tax situation etc, when they last lived in the states, do the maintain any connection to the place they lived in the States, etc.
Here is some add'l info you can start with. If you are a freshman now, you probably have enough time to establish residency that enables you to apply for nominations.

You are smart to start looking at this now.

https://www.usna.edu/Admissions/Apply/US-Citizens-Living-Abroad.php

esmbenbenek

Hi,

I'm a 9th-grader equivalent living in the UK. While I do have an American citizenship, I'm not sure about residence. If it were to be the case that I don't have a residence in the US, does anyone know anything about "becoming" a US resident? At least so far as to be eligible for a local Congressman's nomination to a service academy.
Also, just as a general question, does anyone know of any officers who had grown up abroad and then moved back to the United States to attend a service academy? Just want to know how much of a trodden path this is.

Thanks for the help,
Teddy
I knew an ensign that lived in Zimbabwe until she was around ten then moved to the US and went to the naval academy. Not sure if living in the UK currently would affect anything.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
OP - to answer the second part of your question - yes - people have come back from being overseas to attend. A member in my chain of command grew up overseas.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
OP - also don’t limit your options to the academy. There is also ROTC and the academic scholarships that come with that.

OP - to answer the second part of your question - yes - people have come back from being overseas to attend. A member in my chain of command grew up overseas.

Thank you - do you happen to know anything about people from different school systems? The UK's system is quite different to the American one (no GPA, school ends - sort of - 2 years earlier, among other things) so I was curious about how admissions can work with different systems.

OP - also don’t limit your options to the academy. There is also ROTC and the academic scholarships that come with that.

Definitely going to think about those too, USMMA (I know it's not NROTC) and other maritime colleges looked interesting to me. My school has some experience with a few civilian colleges as well, so that might be a good avenue.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thank you - do you happen to know anything about people from different school systems? The UK's system is quite different to the American one (no GPA, school ends - sort of - 2 years earlier, among other things) so I was curious about how admissions can work with different systems.
No, but I am confident the admissions office could be a great place to ask.