• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pro Rec to Final Select Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryphon

question for those who have been selected for OCS:

i was already pro'recd for one field and my fin docs have gone out. however i am still waiting to hear back from another field for a pro recommendation. now i know it takes about 6 weeks to get final selected so i guess my question is. if and when i get pro'recd for the second field, will i have to wait an additional six weeks to be final selected for that second field as well?

hope i worded the question alright.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
You are only waiting to hear back for ONE final select. That will take at least 6 weeks. Whatever you received a pro rec for is likely where you are going after OCS.

Gryphon

thanks Sophro,

another question. i applied for two fields. my first i am still waiting for a pro'rec. my second choice i was already pro'recd and fin docs have gone out.

now since i was pro'recd for my second choice, does that mean that my first choice was turned down. or is it just a matter of some fields look at applications more often?

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
If you are pro-rec'd for your second choice, you will more than likely get that. For whatever reason, your first choice was probably full, unavailable, or you didn't meet the criteria for it. But, and I do mean BUT, that isn't always the case. Its not uncommon for paperwork to get lost somewhere in the transition from board to NRD and vice versa, but don't count on that possibility. Most of the time its fairly certain that your first choice was denied for whatever reason.

Although, if you are seriously looking into your first choice more than anything else, go ahead and accept the second choice...think long and hard about it though and make sure its something you would still want to do...and then keep reapplying for your first choice until you're shipped to OCS. The boards like to see persistence in someone applying for one of their programs, and if you don't make it through them, chances are your 20 applications will keep your name in someone's mind for a future transition.

I know this because its what I had to do as well. Hope this helps and best of luck to you! :D

Gryphon

even though my recruiter never told me i was denied for my first choice, thats the case. he said there is still now word on my first choice. i mean if i was truly rejected for my first choice, it would show up in the daily bulletins right?

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Mine didn't, but it could. I received word about being denied for my first choice about 2 months after I had already sworn in for second. I mean, it still made sense because that was the only one they offered in response to my application. But, I was going for BDCP, so the main purpose was to just get into the program under whatever designator I could to start getting paid.

I would suggest this...if you have time to spare and aren't in any hurry to get into OCS, give it some more time. Right now things are really busy in Naval offices around the country, partly because the fiscal year ends this week and also because of the huge blow that was dealt to NAS Pensacola. A lot of records and personnel were stationed there that control a lot of aspects of the fleet's educational and training programs. So, applications are sorta on the back burner for a little while. Like I said, if you have time, give it time. You'll probably hear back fairly soon and if not...then ride the mess out of your recruiter. Make them check up on it everyday if you have to, because they can. Most of the time they just get too busy to mess with it...understand that and don't push it too much, but don't let your guard down. This is YOUR career we're talking about and the recruiters are there to get you into the best field possible.

After all, the happier you are the better service you'll give in return to the Navy. They WANT to give you what you want, if its possible. Give it time if you can.

Hope this helps.

Gryphon

usnmerritt,

alright well. in response to what you said, i called my recruiter on his cell and asked him the question. he said quite the opposite of what you said. no offense. he said when your application is sent out. it is copied and sent out to all of the boards to which you have applied. and they each make their own decision. he confirmed this by giving me an example. he said at the beginning of this year, he had one candidate of his be accepted into all 3 designators he applied for.

and my recruiter has been doing this a long time. i am applying for straight OCS. BDCP may be different. But i confirmed it with my recruiter.
not dissing you at all in any way. just spelling out the facts of what he said.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Hey, I'm glad. I wouldn't want what happened to me to happen again to anyone. I have a feeling its just the difference in recruiting commands and so far it sounds like you have a good one.

That's what I always understood to be the process, though my NRD seemed to have developed their own understanding of it. Well...what can I say...you're only as good as the information you have! So, along those lines, I hope everything works out and hope that you are accepted into your first choice. I would imagine that if its a highly contested one, like aviation, you might be waiting for a while. But, stick with it and all will work out fine.

Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.