• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prk

chrisco133

I will be going to college next fall on scholarship and hope to go into aviation after graduation. My vision isnt the best and I know I will eventually get PRK. I want to get it done as soon as possible (maybe this summer), but should i wait until after i start NROTC? My concern is with getting a waiver for aviation and doing all the paperwork.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There will be plenty of time for you to have PRK taken care of once you are in college/NROTC... Service selection is not until fall of senior year, Talk to your aviation instructor/advisor once you get in and they might be able to help you layout a timeline of when you need to get it done (as well as the process for getting it done as a MIDN- IIRC the Mids who got it done in my unit had to do something with Navy docs as well during the process) but you still have plenty of time.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I will be going to college next fall on scholarship and hope to go into aviation after graduation. My vision isnt the best and I know I will eventually get PRK. I want to get it done as soon as possible (maybe this summer), but should i wait until after i start NROTC? My concern is with getting a waiver for aviation and doing all the paperwork.

it took a friend from my unit roughly 9 months from the date of his PRK to the date he recieved his qualifying medical. He also needed a waiver for something else, so the process may have been shorter if he had not needed that FWIW.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am not sure how PRK affects being PQ'd for NROTC by DODMERB, but it might be better to not do anything medically that might NPQ you from the ROTC scholarship. Something to take into consideration as well.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I am not sure how PRK affects being PQ'd for NROTC by DODMERB, but it might be better to not do anything medically that might NPQ you from the ROTC scholarship. Something to take into consideration as well.

good point....I would at least wait until it looks like you are gonna make it to service selection :)

find out who your designated medical officer is and start asking questions. there is a paperwork process you have to go through to get permission and you have to sign a "contract" stating that you understand that by getting prk, you are disqualified for a commission untill you get a waiver and if something goes wrong, you have to pay the Navy back for school. but don't worry about doing any of that untill late sophomore/early junior year. i had prk done on 11may and my waiver went through on 21dec.