• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK waiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicki

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know - it's not an urban legend, the Navy is granting PRK waivers. I found out today that my waiver request was approved. Yeeeesss!

FLY NAVY!

Vicki

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Congratulations!! Now, shouldn't you be studying for something?!?!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well vicki, just figured that since you got the PRK waiver approved and all, that you have nothing else better to do than study for the next hurdle you are going to tackle!! Seeing as how you want jets (if I recall correctly), and get ahead for API and Primary... or would that interrupt your waiver celebration and festivities?? jk

Curious to hear if you have any lessons learned or insights into the PRK waiver process for other people that might be interested. Congrats again on the waiver.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
quote:Curious to hear if you have any lessons learned or insights into the PRK waiver process for other people that might be interested. Congrats again on the waiver.

OH YES, DO TELL!!!

I am very much interested to hear of your experiences with PRK waivers. I'm holding out for LASIK--my opthomalogist (sp?) is a strong proponent of LASIK, having just undergone the surgery herself.

Dave Shutter

Congratulations Vicki...

Glad to hear you got your waiver. Dave Damado (the AF stud' whose web site was discussed earlier) said in API there was a guy with eight waivers!

Where are you at SNA wise, have you applied for OCS or are you already in? Just curious.

D

Kraftwerk

Thanks for the good news Vicki!
I've also read on NOMI's website that they grant waivers for PRK but under very special circumstances, i.e you have to document everything regarding the surgery, healing process and possible adverse effects, and let yourself be examined more often than normal. Correct me if I'm wrong, please! Also, Tripp, I believe LASIK is permanent cause for disqualification due to that LASIK may cause some adverse effects that PRK is less likely to cause. Anyways, the Navy says they have PRK centers of their own, and if you do it while serving and not prior to they'll more likely grant you a waiver. Again, hearsay, but if you dig through NOMI publications on the net you'll find something pertaining to it, and NOMI is the horse's mouth.
Vicki, how long did the waiver process take?

K

vicki

I'll try to tell this in a way that's not thoroughly confusing, but anything involving the SNA application process seems to be thoroughly confusing.

I applied with SNA as my first choice and SNFO as my second. This was my recruiter's idea. We both knew I was NPQ for SNA because I was nearsighted, but he said that this would establish that pilot was my first choice. I could then get picked up for the PRK study, get PRK on the Navy's tab and a lateral conversion to SNA. I was accepted for SNFO and sworn in May 4th. I went down for the ACES program May 14th. While there I had an interesting chat with one of the ACES Grand Poo-Bahs. He basically told me that hell would freeze over and little devils would go ice-skating before I'd get a redesignation to pilot after beginning flight training as a SNFO. It is also difficult to get into the PRK program unless you are either already mission ready or else Boat School. He advised me to get the PRK on my own and apply for the redesignation prior to commencing OCS.

I had surgery on my left eye July 13th and on my right July 27th. My vision has been stable at 20/20 for the last 2 months. CNRC has had my medical records including pre-surgical, surgical and post-surgical for the last month. We have just been waiting for the magic date of October 25th when I was 90 days post-surgical. The waiver was approved so now I have applied for the change of designator. I couldn't do that until I had the PRK waiver in hand. If the designator change is approved I have to go back down for another flight physical, this time as SNA instead of SNFO. I also have to get cockpit fit checks at the same time.

(John) As you can see I still have a few hurdles to go before I can worry about API or even OCS. Tactical jets is the ultimate goal, but right now I'm just concentrating on getting to OCS as a PQ SNA.

(Tripp) This is the story I got on LASIK. Most ophthalmologists agree that LASIK is the superior proceedure, but concerns about the stability of the corneal flap in the case of a sudden cockpit decompression have thus far made LASIK disqualifying with no waivers for all aviation duty. There has been much debate as to whether this is a legitimate concern, but either way it probably won't be approved for at least five years if at all. This would put me (and probably you) past age waiver possibilities.

Hope this helps. The PRK waiver was certainly not a sure thing, but I am far more worried about getting the redesignation. My biographical profile was much higher for pilot than NFO, but I've also heard that the infamous "needs of the Navy" is currently hurting for NFOs more than pilots. I'll keep you informed. Good luck.

Vicki

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
quote:
(Tripp) This is the story I got on LASIK. Most ophthalmologists agree that LASIK is the superior proceedure, but concerns about the stability of the corneal flap in the case of a sudden cockpit decompression have thus far made LASIK disqualifying with no waivers for all aviation duty. There has been much debate as to whether this is a legitimate concern, but either way it probably won't be approved for at least five years if at all. This would put me (and probably you) past age waiver possibilities.

Yeah, I suppose that would be a negative side effect, lol. As to the age waiver, I'm only 19, so the time really isn't a factor. Well, except for the fact that I'll have been out of college for two years. Hmm...definately something to think about.

Anyways, thanks for the insight and congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.