• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Waiver

Bighead

How long does it usually take for PRK Waviers to come back from NOMI? I have been waiting since Aug and havent heard anything back. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
When did you have the surgery done?? You have to wait 3 or 6 months after the surgery to have another check up to show there was no relapse. ( I say 3 or 6 months because that was a debate between my OSO and the Naval Flight Surgeon, I waited the 6 months to be sure). If you have already had that 6 month wait done, then I am not sure how long it should take, but that was just a little FYI on the situation.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Not just relapses.. but vision change between appointments has to be under a certain amount.

I didn't get my waiver until 8 mos after my PRK, and one of my buddies didn't get his till 12 mos. The 6 month wait is a bare minumum.

We both had some extenuating circumstances... his was considered "high risk" and I got hit in the eye with a salad dressing packet.

Chatrat

other thing is to stay on top of the tech pushing the papers. that can also have a good factor on how long the process takes

NFOKP

Sta-21 Prk

With the STA-21 program it took a couple of months since I submitted my physical to get the waiver approved.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I'm a civilian, no prior, and I just finished my MEPS stuff today. Only thing I need is the waiver for PRK, which the docs told me would be sent off for processesing. Who is the tech pushing the papers to which you refer? Is this the same processor that I deal with at the NRD? Or do I need to find another number to program into speed dial?

NFOKP

PRK experience

I just found out today that once the waiver is approved you still have to resubmit an eye exam every year to BUMED/NOMI for reevaluation until commissioned, and then every five years thereafter.

mkoch

Eye exam? Don't you need to do that to keep your flight status anyways?

NFOKP

mkoch said:
Eye exam? Don't you need to do that to keep your flight status anyways?

Yeah, but as a STA mid I didn't think I would have to submit my waiver to NOMI every year.

mkoch

MEPS was end of december, Doc there made a recommendation for waiver. I didn't wind up with final select until mid-late February. The hold up on that was actually a waiver for an old shoulder injury. From what I remember from talking to my recruiter, the eye waiver came back in about a month.

NavyLonghorn

I got approved for BDCP in july 03. Didnt have an actual waver in file until I was 10 weeks into OCS which was May 05. Big difference between reccomended and approved.