• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK "situation"

junfan26

Snake Griffin
I'm currently on schedule to go to OCS in January (191). I got my 6-month checkup yesterday, and my right eye is 20/10, but my left eye is 20/30. I now have four options, to my understanding.

1) Do nothing. My vision is great, and unless I close my right eye, I can't tell.

2) Wear a contact lens in my left eye to fly.

3) Get PRK again, immediately, on my left eye again to bring it up to snuff, thus delaying OCS at least another six months.

4) Wait until after OCS, then get PRK again on leftie.

I know this is the wrong attitude, but I really would like to be a pilot (over an NFO) if possible. Given my situation, what are your recommendations? I've heard you can have 20/40 uncorrected vision and still be a pilot, but I've also heard other things, and I kinda want as many opinions as possible (and I respect the posters on this forum IMMENSELY).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. - Alex

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Your vision should not be a factor in your selection. You get selected for a slot according to what the navy needs. As long as you are 20/40 you are golden, and I'm pretty sure 20/20 will not get you anything more over anyone else. My advice is bust your ass to ensure you get the best chance for a pilot slot, if there is one thing I have learned in this whole process it is that hard work will pay off the most.

Just my .02 cents...

Josh :icon_mi_6

macattack

The reg is 20/40 uncorrected, 20/20 corrected. So you could be fine wearing contacts or whatever for the left eye.
(now someone with actual experience can step in and give you the "good" answer)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
After PRK, I'm 20/15, 20/30. Leave well enough alone.

I was qualified to select pilot (but chose NFO instead).

The other thing is that tho you may be cool to fly 6 mos. after PRK, from what I understand, it can take up to a year for your eyes to settle out to where your vision isn't still changing a little.

I was 20/30 both eyes at my 6 month check up. Now my right eye is 20/15. My left eye is 20/30, but it was never correctable to 20/20. (I'm 20/20 w/ both eyes)

FlyingBeagle

pilot
How serious are you about going back for PRK again? I actually had nightmares that my eyes got worse and I had to go through that again. Some people tell me theirs didn't hurt at all, but I don't know if they're lying or just plain stupid. I'm glad I got mine, but if I were you I'd keep another round of eye torture as the final option.
Were you 20/30 coming out of the surgery, or has your vision gotten worse over 6 months? If it hasn't changed I wouldn't be worried, but when I went to NAMI and they told me my vision was worse than it was the last time I got a checkup I started freaking out even though I passed. Good luck.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
FlyingBeagle said:
How serious are you about going back for PRK again? I actually had nightmares that my eyes got worse and I had to go through that again. Some people tell me theirs didn't hurt at all, but I don't know if they're lying or just plain stupid. I'm glad I got mine, but if I were you I'd keep another round of eye torture as the final option.

Sounds to me like they were just trying to be "tough guys". I'm with you, I'd avoid going for another round of surgery at all costs. I was in agony the first day, the nurse at the post-op was all confused until I hear (I couldnt see a thing, my eyes hurt too much to open) "ooohhh, you had PRK....". Now, I'm happy with my dual 20/15 at 8 months out (stable since 2 months) but i'm willing to say this is one of those "the most amazing thing that I'd never do again" cases.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I had PRK done, see 20/20 and 20/25 when I went to my NOMI Doc said i ahve to wearglasses in the cockpit not contacts b/c contacts dont do much for an eye that needs just a little correction and that because of the now "funny" shape of my cornea (due to PRK) it would be very uncomfortable to wear contacts. 20/30 will do you fine. Still will pass the nomi.

junfan26

Snake Griffin
Thank you for the responses...I'm going to hold off on the PRK on my left eye until at least after OCS. My vision has been stable, and no complications from the first surgery, either. Yeah, the surgery recovery sucked...48 hours after surgery you just want to rip the eye out.

cougar23

I had PRK done, see 20/20 and 20/25 when I went to my NOMI Doc said i ahve to wearglasses in the cockpit not contacts b/c contacts dont do much for an eye that needs just a little correction and that because of the now "funny" shape of my cornea (due to PRK) it would be very uncomfortable to wear contacts. 20/30 will do you fine. Still will pass the nomi.

I'm confused. Your vision was within regs but they still told you that you had to wear glasses in the cockpit??

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Your vision has to be better than 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20. Thats why i need the glasses...