• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK participants

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Ok. I know that this topic has been discussed a lot on this board, but I want to know the specifics about the Marines accepting corrective eye surgrey.

1.Is PRK accepted all the time or are there some people out there who have gotten it and not been accpeted (my biggest fear!)?
boggled_125.gif

2.LASIK is out of the question right? I hear that this procedure does something a little different that could possibly effect the pilot in a certain situation. Anyone?

3.I would like to hear from anyone out there who has had this the PRK done and is on their way to being an aviator. I want to know when you had it and the goods and bads. Did you have it done on your own or did the Marines finance it? I hear that there is a long wait for this procedure at TBS, so I was wondering what your thoughts were on that.? I want to hear your stories, so please post. Thanks. Semper Fi

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I need PRK surgery too. My recruiter told me that Lasik was out because of the high failure rate, plus the flap that they cut can become undone at high pressures. My worry is wether or not to get PRK done before I go to OCS. Some branches (like the airforce) will disqualfy you if you had the surgery done before you were in the service, but OK the procedure if you have it done with them. I hope it's not the same way with the Marines. Everybody I've talked to so far (only about 30 people I know either personally or 1 degree of seperation) have been quite happy with the PRK surgery however, so it seems to be proven relatively safe.

uncledave

wildfyin69,
Your are posting false information on this website and I do not appreciate it. The USAF will grant you a waiver for PRK if you had it performed by a civilian, considering you meet the regs to get the waiver. Please to research on the subject before posting. BTW, I have had PRK performed on me with excellent results and did extensive research before having it performed. Here is the link to correct your BS info- http://www.specialtactics.com/Aviation%20PRK%20atch%201.pdf

"beware of what you wish for" -what the Chinese say....

wildflyin69

Hey, I'm just relaying what the AF recruiter told me. Believe me if the info is false it's through no fault of mine. And I just looked at your link. It says you need approval of the squadron commander. That sounds to me that you need to be already enlisted for that. So all I was saying is that from WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD is that you cannot have had PRK prior to enlisting.

uncledave

wildflyin69,
Obviously your reading skills are equally as bad as your research skills. The part of the policy that you are refering to about having your Squadrons Commanders permission(part 1) is for Active duty personal wanting to have the PRK precedure done, so of course you will need his/her permission. Part 2 of the policy letter deals with civilian applicants. Bottom line, it is ok to have PRK done before you enlist or apply for an officer position as long as you meet the regs.
In your previous post, you said- "So all I was saying is that from WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD is that you cannot have had PRK prior to enlisting."
All I am saying, is that you need to get your facts straight so you will not be posting BS info.

wildflyin69

dude, get a life, I'm through with you. I simply wrote down what I was told by an air force recruiter. But I'm not going to argue with somebody who would rather be nasty than civil. Your not worth my time and this is my last post with regards to you. Oh and by the way, unless one of those abreviations in PartII stands for civilian (maybe it does, I'm not sure what all of them mean) I still don't see what you are talking about. Once again this is the last time I'm responding to you. I'm sorry, since it is really obvious you wanted to pick a fight with someone who couldn't physically reach you.

uncledave

wildflyin69,
Another obvious factor in reading your previous posts is that you are a new member here at AirWarriors. So I will cut you some slack for posting BS info when someone is in need of REAL advice. But please, learn from your mistakes and don't do it in the future. One last thing, if you think I am "nasty" and you still can't understand a document with military terms, I wish you good luck at Marine OCS..haha.

Ironnads

I was told by an Air Force recruiter that no PRK waivers are being issued due to the overwhelming number of applicants that don't need one. Maybe this is what Wild's recruiter was refering to.

jwilliamsee

everything is based on demand and a need for people. They will start accepting PRK in the future again sometime. Timeing is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.