• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK/LASIK now or after MEPS?

B0B

I’m putting together a packet to submit to the board this September, and after doing some research I’ve realized my “uncorrected” vision is outside the range of SNA requirements.

Question 1. Is PRK or LASIK better looking on a packet for an SNA slot?
Question 2. Is it better to get the surgery done before MEPS or after? (after in the instance my “uncorrected” vision is waived)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

If you go to MEPS and don’t meet aviation requirements you CANNOT submit for SNA.

If you get PRK/LASIK you are temp DQ for around 6-ish months, depending on how your eyes recover.

Talk to your recruiter to figure out a plan, it looks like you’re not fully in sync with the recruiter and/or fully aware.

B0B

If you go to MEPS and don’t meet aviation requirements you CANNOT submit for SNA.

If you get PRK/LASIK you are temp DQ for around 6-ish months, depending on how your eyes recover.

Talk to your recruiter to figure out a plan, it looks like you’re not fully in sync with the recruiter and/or fully aware.
If this were the case, then what’s the point of getting an element of MEPS “waived”. Does vision not fall under that umbrella of items that can be waived?

I feel like I’ve read stories of individuals(on this site) who went through MEPS, got it waived just so the navy/AF can PAY for their PRK/LASIK procedure far beyond post MEPS. What’s your take on these instances?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If this were the case, then what’s the point of getting an element of MEPS “waived”. Does vision not fall under that umbrella of items that can be waived?

I feel like I’ve read stories of individuals(on this site) who went through MEPS, got it waived just so the navy/AF can PAY for their PRK/LASIK procedure far beyond post MEPS. What’s your take on these instances?

MEPS and Navy/Naval Aviation standards are two different entities.

MEPS’ role is to conduct a standard military entrance exam and have their own standards. The Navy then reviews your MEPS physical exam to determine if you qualify for officer + whatever specific program you’re applying for (i.e. aviation).

While many conditions can be waived, vision requirements is not one of them.

The navy is not going to pay for an applicant to get LASIK/PRK, it’s not cost efficient for them and plus there’s already plenty of qualified applicants out there.