• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK/LASEK

Status
Not open for further replies.

marti

I am trying to determine if the Coast Guard accepts LASEK as an alternate form of PRK. I have found a few instructions that allow a waiver for new accessions who have had PRK, but it says nothing about LASEK.
Keep in mind that LASEK and LASIK are two different procedures. The NAVY, Marines, and Army treat PRK and LASEK as the same procedure. Does anyone know if it is the same for the Coast Guard?

I saw one instruction that aviators are being considered if they have had PRK (using the Navy's requirements for aviator accessions). I'm not trying to be an aviator, but the Navy requirement allows for "PRK-including LASEK variant (Lasik is Prohibited)".

Any help would be appreciated.

Kenth02

you may want to check this website out: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik

marti

thanks Kentho2 but that is for the Navy. I know that the coast guard uses some of the navy's standards, but I not sure if this is one of those cases. I hope it is.

PudriK

SCGA (VT-3)
Coast Guard only accepts PRK, and then only under the Navy's experimental program. What's your background? I am a CGA grad who was accepted in the March 2004 board, with a PRK waiver, and will be reporting in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.